UMKC projects

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: UMKC projects

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:19 pm I worry about these new arenas at UMKC and Village West reducing the number of events at Municipal Auditorium to point that it places the facility at risk.
I’d say it’s already at risk. Kauffman hurts it with plays and musicals and TMobile for arena events. It’s probably past due ideas for the space. They should have combined this with BAP redo.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:19 pm I worry about these new arenas at UMKC and Village West reducing the number of events at Municipal Auditorium to point that it places the facility at risk.
It's a convention asset right?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:57 pm
Metro wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:29 pm 5k seat arena any chance say the KC Mavericks would move there? Would be fantastic for local business
I think teams are getting smart to the idea of smaller venues that sell out instead of larger that feel empty. They end up making about the same with dynamic pricing and up front season ticket payments and have a better atmosphere for events. I don’t know if Mavericks would work here as it sounds they want basketball/volleyball focused and ice rinks are much larger. I’m more curious if they will try to incorporate suites or just seating only.
I wonder how much more the cost would be? With the rink you could get the Mavericks + Comets and still do all of the UMKC athletics. I would have to imagine it would be a nice economic boom to the area.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

These two articles are from last year but I have heard some continued, yet unsubstantiated, rumors that UMKC is in fact exploring a hockey program. Would make sense with the arena RFP, and with a second permanent tenant, would help prevent the facility from cannibalizing muni. I did undergrad at a school with one of the top college hockey programs in the country and feel that hockey is one of the most entertaining collegiate sports.

https://kcroonews.com/30071/online-excl ... ckey-team/

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... season.php
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Two architecture firms are bidding for the stadium project right now. The plan is to raze the whole block (the one with Kin Lin, etc) and rope in the Pizza 51 into the project too. Basically that will be the only existing place that will remain. UMKC is moving on this project quickly.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Love Crows and used to love Kin Lin but it's gone downhill fast. It should be an excellent project. NIMBYs are already crying about traffic.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Went to Kim Lin a week or two ago for the first time in years. It was atrocious
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Hopefully they an maintain the street level experience along 51st. I like the row of shops (but I'd be even happier if there was a 10-story building on top of them. To me Pizza 51 is a real anchor on that corner that helps give the university at least a whiff of college vibe. I am glad to hear it will remain.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

shinatoo wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:28 am NIMBYs are already crying about traffic.
I'm about to move to this area. The cry from the NIMBYs was deafening in regards to the streetcar expansion, but I've not been real involved in neighborhood stuff (yet).
I will say that the design of Whole Foods parking entry on 51st is pathetic. You might blame it on stupid drivers, but designers should know that most drivers are stupid. Helen Keller could have done a better job. It's a real cluster and dangerous, too. There are constant wrecks at the intersection of 51st and Brookside. I would expect traffic engineers get flagged after a certain number of accidents happen in an intersection. Maybe it will change when the streetcar arrives.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

taxi wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:47 am
shinatoo wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:28 am NIMBYs are already crying about traffic.
I'm about to move to this area. The cry from the NIMBYs was deafening in regards to the streetcar expansion, but I've not been real involved in neighborhood stuff (yet).
I will say that the design of Whole Foods parking entry on 51st is pathetic. You might blame it on stupid drivers, but designers should know that most drivers are stupid. Helen Keller could have done a better job. It's a real cluster and dangerous, too. There are constant wrecks at the intersection of 51st and Brookside. I would expect traffic engineers get flagged after a certain number of accidents happen in an intersection. Maybe it will change when the streetcar arrives.
Will need to close that entrance if the streetcar ever extends farther south (which I hope it does). I 100% expect Brookside to get on board with Waldo once they get a taste in 2025.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Constant wrecks? You have any data? I've lived near there for four years and am in that area often, don't think I've ever seen a wreck. It's not an easy entrance, you have to move slowly, but I think that's the point.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:08 pm
Constant wrecks? You have any data? I've lived near there for four years and am in that area often, don't think I've ever seen a wreck. It's not an easy entrance, you have to move slowly, but I think that's the point.
I was referring to wrecks in the intersection closest to the WF entrance. I don't think the entrance has anything to do with the wrecks. I've studied the intersection a bit but can't come up any easy solutions. I think it's mostly due to people speeding down Brookside and people going E/W on 51st not looking carefully before proceeding. I've heard 3 wrecks while working a block away and seen the wreckage of a couple more while passing through, all within the last 6 months. And I heard tires screeching to a stop even more often.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Is it not signalized? You're talking 51st and Brookside Blvd?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

taxi wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:40 pm I was referring to wrecks in the intersection closest to the WF entrance. I don't think the entrance has anything to do with the wrecks. I've studied the intersection a bit but can't come up any easy solutions.
Reduce speeds on the Brookside Autobahn.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

chingon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:24 am
taxi wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:40 pm I was referring to wrecks in the intersection closest to the WF entrance. I don't think the entrance has anything to do with the wrecks. I've studied the intersection a bit but can't come up any easy solutions.
Yes, the obvious solution. I cross that signalized intersection in car, on bike and on foot quite often and people are driving way above the posted speed limit.
I don't understand why KCMO makes it so difficult to put in speed bumps. It is the easiest and cheapest and most effective solution to get people to slow down.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

taxi wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:04 pm
chingon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:24 am
Yes, the obvious solution. I cross that signalized intersection in car, on bike and on foot quite often and people are driving way above the posted speed limit.
I don't understand why KCMO makes it so difficult to put in speed bumps. It is the easiest and cheapest and most effective solution to get people to slow down.
The whole road is a speed bump. I don't know how anyone travels that fast without rattling their teeth out. Supposed to be getting resurfaced soon. But yes, you need to be alert when crossing. It was especially bad when the power was out.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I'd like to see the City return it to a 2-lane street. The 4-lane design promotes speeding and is a dangerous design.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Bring back the eponymous brook.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chingon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:44 pm Bring back the eponymous brook.
Would support