T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by TheSmokinPun »

langosta wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:38 pm KC has an ice hockey NHL spec arena ready to go tomorrow. I’m not sure if the others can say the same
Houston, SLC, & Atlanta do, but they'd be sharing with long established NBA teams as the primary tenant. Atlanta's arena hosted the Thrashers & were never popular at all, & the arena is really spec'd to NBA mainly.

Quebec City is the only other one not hosting an NBA team, but come on, I know hockey is their sport but we cannot be losing to the likes of QC with a combined metro population equal to KCMO, Raytown, Lee's Summit, & OPKS.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:44 pm
langosta wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:38 pm KC has an ice hockey NHL spec arena ready to go tomorrow. I’m not sure if the others can say the same
Quebec City is the only other one not hosting an NBA team, but come on, I know hockey is their sport but we cannot be losing to the likes of QC with a combined metro population equal to KCMO, Raytown, Lee's Summit, & OPKS.
NHL should get back to basics and stop chasing money that is never coming
QC has such a rabid fanbase, its metro population may be 800k, but if you include metros within 100 miles away that population numbers shoots up to 1.5 million
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:44 pm Quebec City is the only other one not hosting an NBA team, but come on, I know hockey is their sport but we cannot be losing to the likes of QC with a combined metro population equal to KCMO, Raytown, Lee's Summit, & OPKS.
I went to the last Quebec Nordiques game in Quebec. It was a playoff game against the NY Rangers. They lost and were eliminated from the playoffs. Owner said if they won he would keep the team in the city. After they lost, it was pure bedlam. Guys tearing up seats, ladies crying, people throwing anything they could get their hands on. It was like an Italian funeral, just groans of despair. They had a terrible arena with no extra revenue amenities and promises of large $ in Denver. It was a great team with Patrick Roy and won the Stanley Cup the very next year. Quebec deserves a team and it would be successful.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly tells ESPN: "I don’t envision a scenario in which the Coyotes are not playing in Mullett Arena next season."

Coyotes have confirmed.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, they're ok with 4,400 fans in a 5,000-seat arena?
KC is the way to be!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AllThingsKC wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:59 pm So, they're ok with 4,400 fans in a 5,000-seat arena?
Guess so. Looks like they'll honor the contract they have for next season. After that...

https://www.abc15.com/sports/arizona-co ... in-the-air
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Btw they’re not relocating to Atlanta. They’ve already tried & failed there multiple times. Houston is the real challenge.

I think KC’s biggest advantage is they have a readily available arena & district with no sole tenant.

Also read today that Quebec really isn’t an option because it would screw up the divisions alignments. It really seems like it’s KC or Houston in the end.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Mahomes just tweeted out interest in the team and tagged T-Mobile Center
https://twitter.com/patrickmahomes/stat ... RPpXS0iFBA
mRoyal
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mRoyal »

Not to rain on hopes, because I'm also hoping, but...on a KU message board there's an extremely knowledgeable poster who may have worked for a time in a NHL team front office, and he posted this:

The main point (and I feel like deja vu all over again from 16 years ago) is the lease. It has, and has always been, the #1 issue.

Coming out of the 1994 lockout, Gary Bettman (and the NHLPA for that matter) had a stated mission (well, not publicly stated) that all NHL owners were to own and/or operate the arena in which they play. I challenge you to find a team that doesn't. Few, like the Dallas Stars, have a joint venture with the NBA team. It's why the Wild play in St. Paul and not in Target Center. The Celtics actually don't like the Garden because it's the Bruins' (Delaware North) building.

If Alex Meruelo wants to relocate the franchise, he isn't going to look at city in which AEG would control all non-hockey related revenue. The NHL discourages that. If Alex Meruelo were to sell to a new owner, the NHL would be looking for a new owner in which the NHL team owns and/or operates the arena (Ryan Smith - Utah Jazz, Tilman Fertitta - Houston Rockets, P-K Palladeau - Quebec).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

mRoyal wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:34 pm Not to rain on hopes, because I'm also hoping, but...on a KU message board there's an extremely knowledgeable poster who may have worked for a time in a NHL team front office, and he posted this:

The main point (and I feel like deja vu all over again from 16 years ago) is the lease. It has, and has always been, the #1 issue.

Coming out of the 1994 lockout, Gary Bettman (and the NHLPA for that matter) had a stated mission (well, not publicly stated) that all NHL owners were to own and/or operate the arena in which they play. I challenge you to find a team that doesn't. Few, like the Dallas Stars, have a joint venture with the NBA team. It's why the Wild play in St. Paul and not in Target Center. The Celtics actually don't like the Garden because it's the Bruins' (Delaware North) building.

If Alex Meruelo wants to relocate the franchise, he isn't going to look at city in which AEG would control all non-hockey related revenue. The NHL discourages that. If Alex Meruelo were to sell to a new owner, the NHL would be looking for a new owner in which the NHL team owns and/or operates the arena (Ryan Smith - Utah Jazz, Tilman Fertitta - Houston Rockets, P-K Palladeau - Quebec).
This seems like an easy fix for T-Mobile though. The league wants ownership of arenas exactly because of the issue in Phoenix, they don't want to be locked out and stuck in a 4000 seat situation. So, sign a first-dates agreement with AEG. The Coyotes get to choose the dates they want before any concert dates are booked. Have it run for 25 years. AEG would do it because it would be an anchor tenant with many dates filled and help sell suites.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Yeah I feel like they could easily find a way around that. They’re not going to pass on a great deal just because of a leasing issue that could be adjusted. Clearly there is a way to deal with it because the Penguins & Islanders were willing to come to KC at one point.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

. Kansas City, T-Mobile Center, 17,544: Kansas City seems to get thrown into the mix every time it's rumoured the Coyotes are moving, so why not toss the city in here again? But it does make some sense. T-Mobile is operated by Anschutz Entertainment Group, which owns the Los Angeles Kings and Crypto.com Arena — so there's familiarity with how the NHL does things — and is perfectly suited for hockey. It was built in 2005, too, so is fairly modern. A team here would be in the Central time zone, closer to other teams in the division and also provide a good regional rival to the neighbouring St. Louis Blues.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/fi ... ipe-dream/
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

"Arizona Coyotes relocation odds: Houston, Kansas City favorites to be NHL team's next home"
Bookies.com recently released odds for the next home of the Arizona Coyotes and Houston leads the odds at +150 (40% implied probability).

Kansas City, which has NFL quarterback Patrick Mahomes' support to be the home of the Coyotes, is second, at +450 (18.2%).

Toronto comes in third at +475 (17.4%), while Atlanta is fourth at +550 (15.4%).
Get Mahomes help to form an ownership group and I bet we'd have a great shot.

https://sports.yahoo.com/arizona-coyote ... 55807.html
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:11 pm "Arizona Coyotes relocation odds: Houston, Kansas City favorites to be NHL team's next home"
Bookies.com recently released odds for the next home of the Arizona Coyotes and Houston leads the odds at +150 (40% implied probability).

Kansas City, which has NFL quarterback Patrick Mahomes' support to be the home of the Coyotes, is second, at +450 (18.2%).

Toronto comes in third at +475 (17.4%), while Atlanta is fourth at +550 (15.4%).

I can see this happening actually. I mean look how quickly Brittany Mahomes was able to get the women's soccer stadium done. Ownership has been the only missing peace of the puzzle for KC to get an NHL/NBA team. I kind of feel like Anschutz might get in the way though.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:48 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:11 pm "Arizona Coyotes relocation odds: Houston, Kansas City favorites to be NHL team's next home"

I can see this happening actually. I mean look how quickly Brittany Mahomes was able to get the women's soccer stadium done. Ownership has been the only missing peace of the puzzle for KC to get an NHL/NBA team. I kind of feel like Anschutz might get in the way though.
Brittany is a bonus for sure but come on. Let's give the credit for getting this done where it belongs: the Longs + Port KC
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:11 am

Brittany is a bonus for sure but come on. Let's give the credit for getting this done where it belongs: the Longs + Port KC
Yeah dude, plus I feel like Brittany was only a separate owner for a very brief period before they brought in Mahomes.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Ironically, from everything I've read they're saying AEG would be a positive. Apparently they are good partners with the NHL (because of LA arena's) and they like working with them.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:11 am

Oh, I thought she donated a sizable portion to the stadium basically taking the project from idea to reality.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Big 12 conference to make a big announcement today!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:59 am Big 12 conference to make a big announcement today!
Extending to 2031? Star ran an article on the discussions.

By 2031, it will be time to start thinking major renovation.