Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Post by TheLastGentleman »

moderne wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:03 pm Having level terraces would negate the natural theater slope of the lawn. The slope is what makes the space special. KC has plenty of other wide open spots in parks(Theis Park) but the slope is what makes this a place where people can have long line of sight.
The terraces can have a little hump if they need to. Whatever works.

The north lawn just needs something
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

moderne wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:03 pm Having level terraces would negate the natural theater slope of the lawn. The slope is what makes the space special. KC has plenty of other wide open spots in parks(Theis Park) but the slope is what makes this a place where people can have long line of sight.
The lawn would still be there in almost its entirety. You’d just have “suites” at the back that would be a new front door to the museum.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

If you are referring to my idea I think you completely misunderstood.

Why be concerned with "a long light of sight" for 2 or 3 uses out of the year when the hill could become a diamond attraction? The hill slope would remain. The stairs would keep the slope intact. Parts of the hill would be leveled for the attractions. Instead of seeing an ugly, poorly maintained, unused mass of grass, people would see attractive stairs and levels to interact with. The north side of LM could still be used for large events. That hill is currently the most wasted use of space in all of Kansas City. It's ugly and keeps 99% of people from walking between the LM and US.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I, for one, am against destroying one of the largest single common green spaces we have in the urban core.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Not me. I'm for doing whatever to draw more people into the park regularly, not during 2 or 3 big events a year.

I've always been for a terraced north lawn and having Penn Valley Park serve as more of a landscaped botanical walking garden.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kinda related but do we know what they are doing by the scout?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:53 am Kinda related but do we know what they are doing by the scout?
Water leak that they can’t seem to get to where the leak is.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

National WWI Museum and Memorial reopening lower level after year of renovations

https://www.kmbc.com/article/national-w ... s/43907147
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Amended budget came through, with $7,000,000 going to the Museum and Memorial for some much needed improvements. Below is the message from the CEO to WW1 Museum volunteers and staff.
Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to share news that the State of Missouri has granted the Museum and Memorial $7 million in the recent budget. The Governor trimmed $3 million from the amount initially passed by the Legislature (and that I shared to you), as well as several other expense lines to balance the budget. This is great news for the ongoing care of the Museum and Memorial.

We are eager to get to work on projects that will have a lasting impact. The Board’s Infrastructure Projects Taskforce did an orientation onsite late last week and will meet again in mid-July to prioritize and approve some contracts. The funds will be used for maintenance and improvements to the buildings and grounds, currently slated to include the South Plaza/Walk of Honor, stairs and out-buildings on the east and west side leading to the North Terrace, refurbishment of administrative offices on the Lower Level, updates to the Volunteer Lounge, and other needed improvements. In the coming months we will share details about the timing of various projects.

We are preparing a letter to major donors to share news of this funding support in the coming weeks. We want to be sure they hear from us regarding the purpose of this State support and affirm our need for their continued philanthropy around core mission activities and our Second Century campaign priorities.

This is a great outcome, and we are very thankful for the Governor and elected officials who supported this.

Warm regards,

Matt
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I think this pavement is new. At least, it looks fresh

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:36 pm I think this pavement is new. At least, it looks fresh

They had been doing a whole refresh from the main courtyard south for the last couple years. Now it seems they intend to push up from the museum entrance, which is in rougher shape, and into the main lawn.
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

not sure if this has been discussed before but I wonder if they'll ever get rid of those two small parking lots east and west of the two halls and make it the same architecture as the rest of the memorial. It really breaks up the continuity and feel of the memorial to have pass through these lots when going up or down from the north lawn to the main deck. I don't think parked cars and asphalt is what George Kessler envisioned having here.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

bones.25 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:53 am not sure if this has been discussed before but I wonder if they'll ever get rid of those two small parking lots east and west of the two halls and make it the same architecture as the rest of the memorial. It really breaks up the continuity and feel of the memorial to have pass through these lots when going up or down from the north lawn to the main deck. I don't think parked cars and asphalt is what George Kessler envisioned having here.
I agree. It feels very odd and really spoils what is otherwise a moving experience.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

bones.25 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:53 am not sure if this has been discussed before but I wonder if they'll ever get rid of those two small parking lots east and west of the two halls and make it the same architecture as the rest of the memorial. It really breaks up the continuity and feel of the memorial to have pass through these lots when going up or down from the north lawn to the main deck. I don't think parked cars and asphalt is what George Kessler envisioned having here.
I've walked by those many times and never realized they were even open to the public until today. I thought they were for staging events or employees but I guess they are open to the public. One of them might be needed for staging events at the Memorial but not both.

I noticed the limestone walls on the steps east of the Memorial had some serious deterioration last time I was down there in June. You can see it in the Google Map views:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0810989 ... ?entry=ttu
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Gallery refreshes have started, looks like the American side of the exhibit area is closed, at least partially. From what I’ve heard they’re losing those interactive tables that used to ring the inside of the exhibit circle, not sure what’s replacing them though.