UMKC projects

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: UMKC projects

Post by taxi »

It is owned by UMKC and I'm told they would not give longer than 1 year lease term on that big empty space on the east end. That was last year and they don't appear to be looking for a tenant now.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Eh, I try to limit my voluntary contact with them. ha.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

RFP out for an arena at streetcar stop.

“Kansas City Athletics is poised to create an enhanced experience for both student-athletes and fans with the possible development of a 5,000-seat arena on the west side of the University of Missouri-Kansas City campus.

UMKC issued a request for proposals (RFP) today that would turn a parcel of land near the intersection of 51st Street and Brookside into a campus and community destination, with retail, housing and a small arena for events, including Kansas City Athletics' basketball and volleyball games.”
https://kcroos.com/news/2023/5/15/gener ... arena.aspx
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

bspecht wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:20 pm RFP out for an arena at streetcar stop.

“Kansas City Athletics is poised to create an enhanced experience for both student-athletes and fans with the possible development of a 5,000-seat arena on the west side of the University of Missouri-Kansas City campus.

UMKC issued a request for proposals (RFP) today that would turn a parcel of land near the intersection of 51st Street and Brookside into a campus and community destination, with retail, housing and a small arena for events, including Kansas City Athletics' basketball and volleyball games.”
https://kcroos.com/news/2023/5/15/gener ... arena.aspx
This isn't much smaller than the new Baylor basketball arena that they are opening this year. It holds 6000 people for a team that one a national championship a few years ago. This could pump some major energy into the campus and encourage more students to live in the core instead of commuting from the suburbs. Could be an economic driver as well.

https://venuesnow.com/baylors-new-arena ... 0concerts.
mRoyal
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mRoyal »

Univ of Idaho's new (2021) 4200 seat arena

https://govandals.com/facilities/iccu-arena/14
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Where is the actual RFP
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

langosta wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:38 pm Where is the actual RFP
Link to PDF here: https://www.umsystem.edu/ums/fa/procure ... /rfp-23102
Design Guidelines
The following guidelines describe parameters for the
design of the project.

Height and massing: Building height is not constrained
by city zoning but should be responsive to the existing
context. Building massing should be articulated, especially
in parts of the development that are public realm adjacent.
The south side of the development facing 51st Street
should create an active street experience for pedestrians
and shoppers.

Access and connectivity: Universal design should be
carefully considered, especially as it relates to grade
changes between the streetcar platform and the
development site. East 51st Street is the main pedestrian
route from the streetcar and South Plaza/Sunset Hill
neighborhoods to the west. Additional pedestrian access
from other campus locations, including parking, will cross
Oak Street at other points north of 51st and should be
considered in the development proposal. Vehicular access
and service/loading should avoid 51st Street if possible
and be located along Oak Street. The new streetcar
station should be carefully integrated, including a multi
modal mobility hub with space for shared e-bike, scooter
parking, etc. UMKC’s campus shuttle provides access to
both Volker and Health Sciences campuses, leaving from
Oak Street adjacent to the site, every 45 min between 7AM
and 10PM.

Ground floor treatment and public realm: Create active
building edges along 51st Street and Brookside Boulevard
adjacent to the UMKC streetcar station platform with
entrances and transparency at the ground floor level.
Consider an entry plaza/public space at the southwest
corner with high quality landscape for outdoor gathering,
and casual seating. Loading, storage, and structured
parking should be screened from public view.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

TOD at the end of the rainbow.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

MRI Global and Russell Stovers need to be moved off campus. Those companies should be downtown and UMKC needs the space. The university should have purchased the old hospital too before Stowers bought it. I can see why they wanted to move the conservatory downtown because they are going to run out of space in the next few decades, especially if living and being in the urban core becomes more popular and preferrable like I think it will. It has the opportunity to turn into another city-named university like Cinncinati or Pitt.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

This is the type of project that can get UMKC some looks from kids over just KU or some state schools. Having good, free transit, a real emphasis on sports culture (with the new arena) are going to be big drivers going forward. Yes they need to keep expanding.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:05 pm MRI Global and Russell Stovers need to be moved off campus. Those companies should be downtown and UMKC needs the space. The university should have purchased the old hospital too before Stowers bought it. I can see why they wanted to move the conservatory downtown because they are going to run out of space in the next few decades, especially if living and being in the urban core becomes more popular and preferrable like I think it will. It has the opportunity to turn into another city-named university like Cinncinati or Pitt.
MRI and Stowers to Hospital Hill. Russell Stover to Downtown. Bump that UMKC on-campus residential rate up
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

MRI and Stowers should go to the Keystone Innovation District at 18th and Charlotte, or the Paseo Gateway at Independence Avenue and Paseo.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

What really needs to happen is UMKC taking over Rockhurst. I can't understand why anyone would go to the university! It's over twice as much as UMKC, doesn't have a better reputation, isn't a state university with transfer credit possibilities and has a worse campus. Someone explain Rockhurst University to me.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:10 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:05 pm MRI Global and Russell Stovers need to be moved off campus. Those companies should be downtown and UMKC needs the space. The university should have purchased the old hospital too before Stowers bought it. I can see why they wanted to move the conservatory downtown because they are going to run out of space in the next few decades, especially if living and being in the urban core becomes more popular and preferrable like I think it will. It has the opportunity to turn into another city-named university like Cinncinati or Pitt.
MRI and Stowers to Hospital Hill. Russell Stover to Downtown. Bump that UMKC on-campus residential rate up
Love this. Make it happen before iii moves Stowers out to the Glade
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:11 pm What really needs to happen is UMKC taking over Rockhurst. I can't understand why anyone would go to the university! It's over twice as much as UMKC, doesn't have a better reputation, isn't a state university with transfer credit possibilities and has a worse campus. Someone explain Rockhurst University to me.
Religious is important to some people. Also, if you went to a Jesuit HS there are some solid scholarships that can be had.

For the record, I don't understand it's performance either. Rockhurst university has to be among the worst performing Jesuit colleges in the country
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

5k seat arena any chance say the KC Mavericks would move there? Would be fantastic for local business
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Metro wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:29 pm 5k seat arena any chance say the KC Mavericks would move there? Would be fantastic for local business
I think teams are getting smart to the idea of smaller venues that sell out instead of larger that feel empty. They end up making about the same with dynamic pricing and up front season ticket payments and have a better atmosphere for events. I don’t know if Mavericks would work here as it sounds they want basketball/volleyball focused and ice rinks are much larger. I’m more curious if they will try to incorporate suites or just seating only.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

University of Missouri-Kansas City exploring on-campus arena near KC Streetcar extension

https://www.kmbc.com/article/university ... n/43896451
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I worry about these new arenas at UMKC and Village West reducing the number of events at Municipal Auditorium to point that it places the facility at risk.