Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Westport

Post by Metro »

I've had guests complement KC all week but have had several mention the roads especially in Westport look like shit. One guy compared it to Mexico City. I really wish the city would invest more in improvements.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

Metro wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:03 pm I've had guests complement KC all week but have had several mention the roads especially in Westport look like shit. One guy compared it to Mexico City. I really wish the city would invest more in improvements.
I think it's hard for KC since it has a large geographic area with a small population to bring enough revenue to maintain everything.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KC has more square mileage and road mileage than the City of Chicago and only a seventh of the population.

But I give them credit for doing their best to repave as many streets as possible in short periods of time.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:29 pm KC has more square mileage and road mileage than the City of Chicago and only a seventh of the population.

But I give them credit for doing their best to repave as many streets as possible in short periods of time.
The even more unbelievable example of this is that KC has a bigger area than New York City. NYC at 300-305 sqmi, vs KC at an insane 318 sqmi
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:59 pm Well, this building and a good portion of the block is up for sale now.

It appears all of the numbered parcels here are part of the sale. Listed at $4.75M

This is interesting. Is the broker a woman with a last name beginning with "SOP"?

The price is aggressive, but the new owners could probably get that alley reverted, since the remaining access also would be available from 39th Terrace. Now you have a large corner, plus an auxiliary corner behind it. The property at 39th and Central was sold for 400k a few years ago, so they might be willing to flip for 500. Possibly negotiate the other corner which is an engineering office I believe, meaning the whole block for 5 million. Still seems like a lot of money for Westport.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:55 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:29 pm KC has more square mileage and road mileage than the City of Chicago and only a seventh of the population.

The even more unbelievable example of this is that KC has a bigger area than New York City. NYC at 300-305 sqmi, vs KC at an insane 318 sqmi
San Francisco would fit in the area from the Riverfront to the Plaza and from State Line Road to 435 on the east side. That area of Kansas City could easily fit 800,000 people alone. If one included the entire square mileage of KC, we could easily accommodate 3 million, and that is not including the suburban communities.

Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Pork Chop wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:11 pm
Metro wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:03 pm I've had guests complement KC all week but have had several mention the roads especially in Westport look like shit. One guy compared it to Mexico City. I really wish the city would invest more in improvements.
I think it's hard for KC since it has a large geographic area with a small population to bring enough revenue to maintain everything.
This is a terrible excuse. The city has record revenue it can afford to pave a road in one of the biggest entertainment districts just like it can afford to mow the lawn down the road from where they kicked the homeless out.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

We can't pave roads, we can't maintain our entertainment districts, we can't control crime.

But we can build bike lanes ans give out unlimited amounts of subsidies for big businesses. KC would be an even bigger dump if the people on this board were in charge. Unfortunately people who think like this board are starting to win elections here.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Metro wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:47 pm We can't pave roads, we can't maintain our entertainment districts, we can't control crime.

But we can build bike lanes ans give out unlimited amounts of subsidies for big businesses. KC would be an even bigger dump if the people on this board were in charge. Unfortunately people who think like this board are starting to win elections here.
Bike lanes and subsidies for giant corporations are not comparable
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Metro wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:47 pm We can't pave roads, we can't maintain our entertainment districts, we can't control crime.

Didn't you just say in the KCMO election thread that you liked the job KC was doing paving roads?

search.php?author_id=251043&sr=posts
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Metro wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:44 pm
Pork Chop wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:11 pm
This is a terrible excuse. The city has record revenue it can afford to pave a road in one of the biggest entertainment districts just like it can afford to mow the lawn down the road from where they kicked the homeless out.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClRBIHPI ... _copy_link
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

This has to be a troll account. No one is actually this disingenuous, right?
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

I mean the guy is right..
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:30 am

This has to be a troll account. No one is actually this disingenuous, right?
Where am I wrong? One of the biggest entertainment districts in the city absolutely should not look like that.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

KC bike lanes out here injuring children, check the news.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Searching "Kansas City Bike Lanes and Children" turns up nothing of note in the news recently. A story about a child dying to someone wielding a gun and concern/fatalities caused by drivers at unsafe road intersections that need redesigned.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Yeah but what that story didn't tell you is that it was a bike lane that shot the child
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

A kid was hit by a car on Armour yesterday. The bike lanes were blamed for obstructing the drivers view. Of course it was actually a parked car that obstructed the view not the bike lane and it’s simple to fix where cars can park.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

The Armor Bike Lanes absolutely need to go
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

Metro wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:27 am The Armor Bike Lanes absolutely need to go
Wrong!I like bike lanes and use them all the time. We need more of them but they do need to be nicer/safer.