1985 Best and Worst of KC

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 1985 Best and Worst of KC

Post by chrizow »

the "coffee shop" concept sounds interesting. would that be similar to billie's grocery and caffetteria now? all day "cafe/restaurant" that also has booze? photos of putsch's online make it look like both a formal/fancy restaurant and basically a cafeteria.

what about fern bars? i'm assuming KC had a few of those back in the day. https://thingsboomerslike.com/get-ready ... fern-bars/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Prospect in Westport was a fern bar, Houlihans in the Plaza was the first fern bar to spawn a chain--Gilbert-Robinson had a warehouse full of tschotshkes and Victorianna to decorate interiors as they went national. The Houlihans that still exist are nothing like the original.
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

herrfrank wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:53 am

The 1980s were not good to downtown KC -- nobody went down there except for Bob Jones shoes. Even Crown Center had a tough decade.
LMAO - yep going down to Bob Jone's shoes and seeing him up on his high chair was a thing. I bought some bench made Ralph Lauren shoes their in the late 90s. Such a good deal I bought 4 or 5 pairs. 4 of them still unworn. Ugh....