NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Post by Chris Stritzel »

missingkc wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:47 pm According to CityScene, the original proposal was 30 stories, 300 apartments, 200 hotel rooms and the new proposal calls for a 20-story apartment building and 10-story, still 200-room, hotel. For reference, as I'm sure many people on here know, the P&L building roof tops at 481 ft. (According to Wikipedia.) The building in the new rendering looks like it has more than 20 floors to me. More like 24/25 plus parking. So, I wonder if the new rendering really represents the latest configuration of 20/10 stories.
It’s a 30 floor building. 10 hotel with 20 floors of apartments stacked on top.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

That would be nice, Chris, (and I hope so) but it's not the way I read the CityScene article. First floor and rooftop uses are listed for both the apartments and hotel.
The first floor hotel lobby would include a couple small food and beverage operations totaling about 3,300 square feet. There would be meeting rooms and a fitness center on floors two- through four; the remaining floors would be guest rooms.

The 10th floor calls for a “sky lobby” with a bar and social club. The roof top would have a pool and lounge area. The hotel also would have an underground garage with 75 spaces designated for valet parking.
The 300-unit apartment building would also feature a couple of small food and beverage outlets on the first floor. Levels two through five would be used for parking with 115 spaces on each level. Access to the garage would be off 14th Street.

The roof top would be the penthouse level with several amenities for the residents.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Sphere photo of the potential top-floor view...
https://www.skypixel.com/photo360s/14wy ... share&sp=0
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Formal renderings uploaded to Compass along with updated elevations. Height is 340ft.

Elevations...

And for those interested, here are floor plans...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I hope this gets built.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Now we're talkin'!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Damn, That's got some midtown Manhattan vibes. Would be amazing if it happens.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Wow. This looks incredible
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The more I look at this the more I think they nailed the design pretty good. Also, this project seems to actually have some legs. A lot of detail in the renderings and plans compared to most larger scale projects like this proposed in KC.

Kind of crazy how they totally redesigned it in just a few weeks though. I almost wonder if they threw out some older design to the public when in reality it has been more refined like this for a while.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

GRID wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:11 pm The more I look at this the more I think they nailed the design pretty good. Also, this project seems to actually have some legs. A lot of detail in the renderings and plans compared to most larger scale projects like this proposed in KC.

Kind of crazy how they totally redesigned it in just a few weeks though. I almost wonder if they threw out some older design to the public when in reality it has been more refined like this for a while.
It definitely has legs. It's good to see detailed renderings for this at this stage. I doubt it goes though more radical changes from here on (like how 3 Light continually changed).

As for the design, I'm confident that the first version of the plans weren't old. That was the actual plan and enough public pushback led to it being revised for the better. It's not hard to totally redesign a building like this, especially if you're keeping the stacks of units mostly the same. The changes were mostly cosmetic (from what I can tell when comparing the first plan set vs the newest).

This sort of design process (being swayed by public comment) is what's needed more these days. It can lead to positive outcomes.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Wow, an actual rooftop bar & pool deck too. Cordish, take notes.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:28 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:11 pm The more I look at this the more I think they nailed the design pretty good. Also, this project seems to actually have some legs. A lot of detail in the renderings and plans compared to most larger scale projects like this proposed in KC.

This sort of design process (being swayed by public comment) is what's needed more these days. It can lead to positive outcomes.
Yes, pushback can have a major effect. Years ago, there were major players pushing to demolish the President Hotel to turn that block from Baltimore to Main into a linear pocket park. The property owner of the Mainstreet Theater wanted to demolish it first for a parking garage for One Kansas City Place, and later a new headquarters for Kansas City Power & Light (now Evergy). They tried to slip a demolition permit for the Mainstreet past the public prior to a big holiday weekend hoping to begin demolition before anyone would notice. Public outcry stopped demolition plans for the President and Mainstreet.

The City wanted to demolish the Cosby Hotel when part of the facade collapsed but again public pushback stopped that.

The American Royal wanted to demolish Kemper Arena and that idea didn't go over well with the public.

The Folly Theater was almost demolished as well, but a group of well-heeled locals rallied to save it.

A devastating fire almost took out the entire Coates House Hotel building. The remaining wing was heavily damaged but locals organized to save what was left.

The Boley Building was threatened with demolition in the 1970s for a downtown park.

Then of course, there was Union Station.

All were threatened with demolition but found new life.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

My 10 minute mods to make it less of a square box...

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Love it and how it works with p&l.

Edit I'm an idiot, removed Aladdin comment. That little sliver of a building made me think that was it
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This looks great. Lets start building some 30 story towers.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Aladdin is a block north.

That edited version looks ugly, sorry.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

langosta wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:52 am Aladdin is a block north.

That edited version looks ugly, sorry.
Whoops duh. Posting when waking up brain fog. Thanks.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

All of this makes the Crowne Plaza look even more like a turd on a stick.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:25 am Wow, an actual rooftop bar & pool deck too. Cordish, take notes.
Was thinking the sans thing. Maybe we’ve found a new developer for the Royals EV district.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

these updated renderings look so much better and the design looks great. Really like how the outside matches well with P&L building but provides the right match with modern materials. So you get a nice nod to the old with the new. Everything looks great. I guess the only thing I can say they might improve is maybe give it some sort of architectural distinction/feature to the roofline but that's just nit picking honestly.

Let's hope the people behind this have their shit together and have secured real financing, real planning and execution. I'm tired of exciting proposals that go nowhere or end up going *poof*.

If this goes along with the other development planned for the corner of 13th & Wyandotte (just North in the lot next to the Aladdin) that would fill the street in nicely and provide great energy for other development in the area to keep going.