Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Cratedigger »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:17 pm Does anyone think it’s going to be anything other than vantrust, umb, and jedunn, with Goldman Sachs advising with a local firm
I was curious if VanTrust would continue to be the lead developer or if there would there be a land sale?

Mostly because VanTrust developing the area does not excite me.

So I guess look towards the Polsinelli and Creative Planning buildings for a look into how the offices and residential will look?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:17 pm Does anyone think it’s going to be anything other than vantrust, umb, and jedunn, with Goldman Sachs advising with a local firm
I think we’re talking developed though. UMB and GS will do financing. Dunn will do construction. But, Cantrust just doesn’t have the experience, that I e seen, to build an entertainment entity, attract retail clients to KC or develop new concepts. They’ve largely built prefab warehouse and short-story prefab office. They’re more a land acquisition entity. You need someone with national connections to build the area.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I mean they’ve banked the land so they’ll want money. I don’t think they have the ability to raise the debt. So there will be land transfers to Jackson county so they can issue bonds at a decent rate. Probably pull in a private equity firm.

I’ma huge skeptic about all of this investment.

I dunno, it’s been awhile since I talked with anyone involved.

I don’t think cordish will want to compete with themselves.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Interesting. Looks like the Merrimans are in control of the NKC stadium site

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ml?s=print
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:25 pm Interesting. Looks like the Merrimans are in control of the NKC stadium site

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ml?s=print
I am quite sure the final two sites that will be made public will be EV and NKC -- wise to pit city v city and county v county and northland v downtown for maximum subsidy.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Three thoughts.

If the Merrimans and Americo become focused on the NKC property, how does that bode for development of the old Plaza hotel site? Maybe they have the resources to do both.

If the NKC site wins the ballpark, what might the surrounding development look like? It's a lot of land. Any hope of highrise? Midrise? Or will it spread out?

They don't own everything between Armour to the river and 35 to Burlington. Still lots of industry and warehousing in there. What kind of neighbor would that make to the new development?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

missingkc wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:13 pm If the NKC site wins the ballpark, what might the surrounding development look like? It's a lot of land. Any hope of highrise? Midrise? Or will it spread out?
If NKC wins the ballpark site then I give up all hope for KC and root it somewhere else
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

NKC won't be the choice. That location goes against everything Sherman has been saying the Royals want in an urban stadium.

It's a play to make Jackson County and KCMO nervous that if the Royals don't get enough support, they have other options. The Merriman family might be playing along in the game knowing they can't lose no matter what the Royals choose. If NKC is not chosen, the Merriman family can still develop the land and make a profit, or they can sell it off to other developers. Or they can just collect rent from industrial tenants.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

SpongeBob meme "what about the skyline views from NKC"
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:33 am SpongeBob meme "what about the skyline views from NKC"
Same meme applies to the East Village.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:59 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:33 am SpongeBob meme "what about the skyline views from NKC"
Same meme applies to the East Village.
true
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

People don't realize that it won't be that difficult to create a skyline around a stadium in the East Village.

Red squares indicate mostly residential. Blue Squares indicate mixed-use retail/commercial. White numbers indicate possible number of floors in the structure. Structures built northeast of the interstate would have their height enhanced by higher ground elevation.

Six initial buildings closest to the stadium would create a skyline and it would be enhanced over time with additional structures.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The beer selection is more important than the dumb outfield views
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:26 pm The beer selection is more important than the dumb outfield views
It's going to be funny when Boulevard runs for the hills after this albatross contract is finished & they aren't in the new stadium because of it. The Royals will somehow be blamed too.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:57 pm The owner of the KC Star building has also snapped up land all over Paseo West. Look at parcel viewer
Pretty sure that's not new. It's where their main business (Mark One Electric) has been based for a long time.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, they are a block hog. Why the City changed the zoning in Paseo West from mostly residential and commercial to mostly industrial so close to downtown I will never know. This used to be a dense residential neighborhood with retail. It was destroyed.

This is a prime neighborhood that the City should be targeting for redevelopment as a dense, walkable neighborhood--like it used to be. Having neighborhoods like this close to the downtown business district makes that district stronger.

Since there aren't many people living in it now, it would be very easy for the City to zone it for high-density buildings with no parking minimums without substantial opposition from neighborhood residents because there just aren't many. The entire neighborhood is in an opportunity zone.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Zoning change maybe racial? An uninhabited light industrial zone buffer between downtown and the East Side? Could it become residential and still be mixed with light industrial like Zahner? Would have to relocate all the homeless ministries and outreaches for most people to be comfortable living there. Just east of Paseo is there any way to put back the now vanished intersection of 12th St & Vine? The song is about this intersection, not 18th & Vine.