American Royal leaders propose tearing down Kemper

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: American Royal leaders propose tearing down Kemper

Post by beautyfromashes »

Would make an excellent agriculture, livestock show and rodeo!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

langosta wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:57 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:08 pm
langosta wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:08 pm What do you do with Hale once American Royal leaves?

Convert to additional youth sports space? Bulldoze for parking and develop the current parking lots?
Hale Arena, the Governors Building, and Exhibition Halls are still under the control of the City's Convention and Entertainment Deprtment so separate from HyVee Arena. Will still function the same as now.

https://kcconvention.com/venue/hale-arena/
Yes, I am familiar. The surface parking is also under KCMO.

What are they used for outside of AR? I think growing the active lifestyle and sports center down there would be the best step forward.

Either convert those facilities to sports or bulldoze and redevelop them. Add a Holiday Inn or the like down there for traveling families.
Soccer fields.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:03 pm Would make an excellent agriculture, livestock show and rodeo!
Maybe get the high-roller crowd hobbyists out of running it and put forth a competing livestock show and rodeo that allows the ordinary farmer/rancher crowd back into the mix.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:42 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:03 pm Would make an excellent agriculture, livestock show and rodeo!
Maybe get the high-roller crowd hobbyists out of running it and put forth a competing livestock show and rodeo that allows the ordinary farmer/rancher crowd back into the mix.
Only thing about high rollers is that they are usually old. Sometimes you just have to wait them out. This seems like one of those situations.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

How many times can you repackage these facilities? Just polishing a turd at this point, they've had their time. The KC metro doesn't need multiple arenas and convention facilities and even if these disappeared tomorrow we'd still be oversubscribed. Great location for a new Chiefs Stadium IMO.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Rusty Irish wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:01 am How many times can you repackage these facilities? Just polishing a turd at this point, they've had their time. The KC metro doesn't need multiple arenas and convention facilities and even if these disappeared tomorrow we'd still be oversubscribed. Great location for a new Chiefs Stadium IMO.
I knew it wouldn't be long until I read a completely stupid, ignorant thought on here. Thanks for the laugh.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

im2kull wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:39 pm
Rusty Irish wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:01 am How many times can you repackage these facilities? Just polishing a turd at this point, they've had their time. The KC metro doesn't need multiple arenas and convention facilities and even if these disappeared tomorrow we'd still be oversubscribed. Great location for a new Chiefs Stadium IMO.
I knew it wouldn't be long until I read a completely stupid, ignorant thought on here. Thanks for the laugh.
Paseo West or West Bottoms! Not a horrible idea
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Easier to plop a 25-30k soccer stadium down. Two near downtown but very different capacity, could host different types of events in that case too. Lot more practical than the Chiefs.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I really have never heard a good reason why West Bottoms isn't a good site for the Chiefs. The problem is Chiefs only seem to consider suburban sprawl east or suburban sprawl west for their location.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Suburban sprawl is where an enormous structure only used a few times a year belongs.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I always have wondered why there aren't more concerts here. This is a really interesting article. The dynamics between Foutch, the city and the American Royal are fascinating.
Foutch wanted to use the arena as a concert venue, but the city has a non-compete agreement with T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center), preventing Hy-Vee Arena concerts from having more than 2,500 seats. Foutch said he hopes to resolve that issue. In the meantime, he has a noncompete agreement covering the entire American Royal Center property.

“The City and whatever happens there cannot do anything that I do ever. So if I have office space, if I have retail, if I have this, this and this, whatever I do in that building, nothing else on that land around me can do it,” he said.
http://www.metrowiremedia.com/news/the- ... d-triumphs
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:14 pm I really have never heard a good reason why West Bottoms isn't a good site for the Chiefs. The problem is Chiefs only seem to consider suburban sprawl east or suburban sprawl west for their location.
Access to the WB essentially cuts into 4 choke points, which would be absolute hell for a crowd of 70,000+
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:10 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:14 pm I really have never heard a good reason why West Bottoms isn't a good site for the Chiefs. The problem is Chiefs only seem to consider suburban sprawl east or suburban sprawl west for their location.
Access to the WB essentially cuts into 4 choke points, which would be absolute hell for a crowd of 70,000+
It was HELL for a crowd when Kemper had a crowd of 17,000.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Still kicking

The American Royal is champing at the bit to build its new KCK home and to emphasize its foundational message of food and ag

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2023-05-12
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FangKC wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:01 pm Still kicking

The American Royal is champing at the bit to build its new KCK home and to emphasize its foundational message of food and ag

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2023-05-12
I honestly can’t tell if this is the start of something new or the last stand of a dying organization. This is a pivotal, make it break move for American Royals. Let’s trade SKC for AR and move them down to the WB?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

American Royal places first steel beam for $350M KCK campus

https://fox4kc.com/news/kansas-news/ame ... ck-campus/