Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:29 pm
Pork Chop wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:53 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:58 am Sherman essentially saying they're doing this with the Chiefs?

"Sherman declines to put a timeline on making a decision on a stadium site.
"We're working with the @Chiefs as well and at some point they will be part of this process.""

https://twitter.com/todpalmer/status/16 ... 09440?s=20
I believe the Jackson County tax is split between them, and I think the contractual language for the Truman Sports Complex has something to do with it. Plus, the Chiefs are the only NFL team left in MO; it surely can make it easier for both teams to get things done with the state, especially since they just won their second SB within the last four years.
Agreed. Suburban boomers definitely more likely to approve continuing taxes to the Chiefs for Arrowhead renovation than a new downtown "toy" for the Royals. Mahomes and the Chiefs have been the best they have ever been. Time to strike when the iron is hot.
It really would make no sense why the Chiefs wouldn't strike right now. You're the highest you've ever been and the Royals are ready to go. Strike on it.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:48 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:12 pm In looking at what is best for the teams the teams should separate their interests and have separate ballot measures. A Jackson County ballot issue for the Chiefs and a separate Kansas City ballot issue for the Royals. Yes, those city residents in Jackson will be double taxed but at least the whole city carries the tax load.
Interesting thought, but not sure it would work. For example, the Chiefs would need for the Royals to move to build a new stadium or expansion of some kind on Kauffman land. If the Royals' move doesn't get approved but the Chiefs does, that would kind of leave both teams in a lurch.
Yes no option is perfect but I believe there is a bigger risk of voter rejection in combining the two teams into one ballot issue.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There will be one measure and one choice. Up or down vote. Teams see what happens. If it fails, there will be talk of Kansas stadiums. Another proposal would then be floated on the Missouri side and a ballot issue. Same deal, up or down vote. If it doesn't pass on the second ballot, Kansas will be in play.

It's because of the Chiefs riding high right now that they won't be separate votes. They won't risk a failed ballot measure. Separate votes will be riskier for the Royals.

Sherman indicating there will be a vote this fall indicates they are building in enough time for a failed vote, and then another measure in the Spring of 2024, and again in the fall of 2024 if there are previous failed votes. The 2024 ballot measure will be for Kansas stadiums.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Royals owner John Sherman on new stadium: 'We probably have done the most work on (East Village site)'

https://www.kshb.com/sports/royals-owne ... llage-site
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

The KC Star site is absolutely horrible. It cuts off 2 major downtown streets (Truman and Oak)

I still think Westport/Plaza area would be better. Could build a true Neighborhood stadium like Wrigley or like many stadiums in Europe, rather than the generic baseball stadium surrounded by glass office buildings.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The coolest part about the Crossroads stadium video is someone finally giving us a south loop cap rendering with all the development on the side filled out and going for 6 blocks. Could care less about the stadium part :lol:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dnweava wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:03 am The KC Star site is absolutely horrible. It cuts off 2 major downtown streets (Truman and Oak)
Huh? Isolates maybe?
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

That KC Star rendering is from a company having nothing to do with the stadium design at all. They just randomly did it themselves then released it like it was the real deal. Don't fall for that crappy looking dump that would have started looking out of date with the faux retro stuff way finished in baseball.

I would have been mad if someone built a stadium that looked like that in 2008.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:11 pm I would have been mad if someone built a stadium that looked like that in 2008.
Somewhat agree re: retro trend. Kauffman has set the precedent for a modern park here, whether or not the faux-retro look is played out.

The exterior brick facade in those renderings looks like the Mets Citi Park, no? Which itself was a throwback Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, the old Dodgers park, IIRC. Definitely not a "KC" vibe.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Looking across the AL Central alone, we have the lowest avg attendance by at least 2,250 for the 2022 season. Now granted, we sucked, but still, we’re the only really far flung non-urban context stadium in the division. The fact that people think a downtown stadium would hurt attendance is absolutely laughable here. How can you hurt attendance when no one is even going now?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:26 am ….we sucked, but still
When talking about the Royals, this is all that needs to be said.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:40 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:26 am ….we sucked, but still
When talking about the Royals, this is all that needs to be said.
I mean, look at the STIFF competition we faced in the Central… not many real big winners there.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I definitely think my #1 wish list for a new DT ballpark is "how does this park fit in with the surrounding area."

The nice part is that there is not much of a surrounding area. Just parking lots. So this gives Populous the chance to really mold the stadium and neighborhood to something cohesive. Several key streets (10th, 12th) need to be completely reworked for pedestrian access from PNL with wider sidewalks, bike lanes, streetscape improvements.

The actual design of the stadium should be modern and represent KC well. Limestone, glass, fountains, and great sight lines from every seat.

Target Field in MN is a good one, worth considering as an example.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9800012 ... 384!8i8192
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

FangKC wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:52 am
Sherman indicating there will be a vote this fall indicates they are building in enough time for a failed vote, and then another measure in the Spring of 2024, and again in the fall of 2024 if there are previous failed votes. The 2024 ballot measure will be for Kansas stadiums.
I would think if there is a vote this fall the Chiefs would announce beforehand their intentions of either building a new stadium where the K is now or fixing up Arrowhead.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:26 am I definitely think my #1 wish list for a new DT ballpark is "how does this park fit in with the surrounding area."

The nice part is that there is not much of a surrounding area. Just parking lots. So this gives Populous the chance to really mold the stadium and neighborhood to something cohesive. Several key streets (10th, 12th) need to be completely reworked for pedestrian access from PNL with wider sidewalks, bike lanes, streetscape improvements.

The actual design of the stadium should be modern and represent KC well. Limestone, glass, fountains, and great sight lines from every seat.

Target Field in MN is a good one, worth considering as an example.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9800012 ... 384!8i8192
I agree with you that streetscape is prob the most important thing with this new stadium (AKA connecting it to the rest of downtown and not cannibalizing)

Not a huge fan of Target Field design though. Too cookie cutter. Wish we could just do Denver or St. Louis.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Target Field is much better than Busch Stadium. More modern, more usage of natural stone/steel. The other two are just generic 90s/00s fauxback brick that all pale in comparison to Camden Yards.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:42 pm
I would think if there is a vote this fall the Chiefs would announce beforehand their intentions of either building a new stadium where the K is now or fixing up Arrowhead.
I have a feeling that when the Royals announce the stadium location, it will coincide with the Chiefs' plan for the future and the future ballot measure will reflect that.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

FangKC wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:02 am
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:42 pm
I have a feeling that when the Royals announce the stadium location, it will coincide with the Chiefs' plan for the future and the future ballot measure will reflect that.
Unless the timeline has been shortened I thought any Chiefs decision would be still be months away. And to have an election in November would that give the organizations involved enough time to sell their plans to the Jackson County voters, especially those east of TSC?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Sherman has stated several times that the Royals are working with the Chiefs--whatever the final one is.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The current lease has a favored nations clause and a veto clause for both franchises.

They literally have to work together.

I've said before, negotiating the divorce will be a significant part of this.