OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

If Cordish isn’t ever gonna fill these spaces then fine just turn them into residential high rise or something. It’s so weird they’re all empty when you walk by. I hope it’s not that way during World Cup summer.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:41 pm If Cordish isn’t ever gonna fill these spaces then fine just turn them into residential high rise or something. It’s so weird they’re all empty when you walk by. I hope it’s not that way during World Cup summer.
Should be both a tower AND have that amount of commercial bays at street level
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:41 pm If Cordish isn’t ever gonna fill these spaces then fine just turn them into residential high rise or something. It’s so weird they’re all empty when you walk by. I hope it’s not that way during World Cup summer.
This is what I said about the Garment District. Build Strata (or whatever it’s going to be called) with the ground floor being condo/hotel lobby with amenities. At least you’d have some activity and people coming in and out of the lobby. So much dead space, some that has literally never had a tenant in the decade+ of the district. That should be an embarrassment for Cornish.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

My take on this is Sherman and the Royals have such an opportunity to create a functioning retail district should they make the effort. Create the stadium. Get a streetcar spur down 12th to at least Woodland and Independence Ave. Create a space for a Target and perhaps Petco, in a shared building (probably on the square block east of the federal building); then spread a lot of services and local retail in the neighborhood: hair and nail salons, a full-service spa, gym, bank, UPS store, phone store, dry cleaner, bakery, child care, urgent care center, doctor and dentists, eyeglass place, coffee and donut shop, florist, animal clinic/boarding, liquor store, convenience store, and a variety of small local ethnic restaurants and a few chain franchises that don't need drive-up. A lot of these can be in the bases of residential towers. Don't try to do a lot of big retail sq. footage in these buildings. Go for smaller shops so that small business owners can afford to rent and residents have services. Many of the restaurants would likely do a lot of take-out/delivery business instead of having big dining rooms.

Avoid big residential building lobbies. Fill those spaces with service shops. Don't go for trendy watering holes and chic shops. Go for daily service needs. That is the only way you jumpstart retail downtown, and keep the retail spaces rented.

The P&L District doesn't serve the daily needs of Downtown residents.

These types of small businesses will likely generate consistent sales taxes.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

FangKC wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:51 am Avoid big residential building lobbies. Fill those spaces with service shops. Don't go for trendy watering holes and chic shops. Go for daily service needs. That is the only way you jumpstart retail downtown, and keep the retail spaces rented.

The P&L District doesn't serve the daily needs of Downtown residents.

These types of small businesses will likely generate consistent sales taxes.
Totally agree with this. Start to view downtown as a neighborhood instead of an entertainment destination. It's grown into that ability.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

A "sphere" photo of the district. Read more on the "Chris Stritzel's Drone Photos" thread.
https://www.skypixel.com/photo360s/powe ... share&sp=0
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:35 pm A "sphere" photo of the district. Read more on the "Chris Stritzel's Drone Photos" thread.
https://www.skypixel.com/photo360s/powe ... share&sp=0
Really nice! And puts into perspective the huge gap left from the demo of the old KC public school system building - nearly an entire city block in a prime location.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Someone on this forum should collect questions from the board and go talk to the powers that be. It’s not like they’re no accessible or unwilling to talk to you. Tell them your downtown development enthusiast and want to understand more of the ins and outs of the decisions that have been made. I think it would be enlightening because a select few of you keep trying to blame it squarely on the developer when there are dozens of other factors.

The mention of spaces never being leased for example. There are reasons for this.

Moncke is probably the guy to talk to. I’ve talked to him a few times and he’s extremely hospitable and knowledgeable.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:41 am Someone on this forum should collect questions from the board and go talk to the powers that be. It’s not like they’re no accessible or unwilling to talk to you. Tell them your downtown development enthusiast and want to understand more of the ins and outs of the decisions that have been made. I think it would be enlightening because a select few of you keep trying to blame it squarely on the developer when there are dozens of other factors.

The mention of spaces never being leased for example. There are reasons for this.

Moncke is probably the guy to talk to. I’ve talked to him a few times and he’s extremely hospitable and knowledgeable.
I can personally attest to reaching out to multiple entities with the very thing you said to say, and not a single fucking one ever got back to me.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:53 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:41 am Someone on this forum should collect questions from the board and go talk to the powers that be. It’s not like they’re no accessible or unwilling to talk to you. Tell them your downtown development enthusiast and want to understand more of the ins and outs of the decisions that have been made. I think it would be enlightening because a select few of you keep trying to blame it squarely on the developer when there are dozens of other factors.

I can personally attest to reaching out to multiple entities with the very thing you said to say, and not a single fucking one ever got back to me.
Probably too busy trying to lease the district.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:09 pm

They’re awfully busy for as poor a job as they’re doing then. Because it’s a ghost town anywhere but the living room & 14th street & Grand.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:09 pm

Worked for me + can confirm it’s a packed schedule.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:48 pm Image
Repair? Or just removal?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Generally the same view with room to continue changing for the better.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I took a ton of pics right before P&L construction when living down here that I've somehow misplaced. Was going to do a great before/after (in my mind)
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Did grid do a helicopter before, or am I misremembering?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:23 pm
Repair? Or just removal?
New one was installed recently. I'm told Cordish has spent a few million dollars the last few years on repairs to this building. Historic buildings are expensive!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:46 pm New one was installed recently. I'm told Cordish has spent a few million dollars the last few years on repairs to this building. Historic buildings are expensive!
How come the escalators never run there?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:46 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:23 pm
Repair? Or just removal?
New one was installed recently. I'm told Cordish has spent a few million dollars the last few years on repairs to this building. Historic buildings are expensive!
Considering there was a tree growing out of the roof at one point, it’s any wonder this building even survived. Good to hear it’s getting some more TLC to keep it going.