OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by beautyfromashes »

I make no bones on here about wanting Klein gone for years. This is a great opportunity for the city and we should swing for the fences instead of just going “next in line”. Get someone with a proven record of route expansion and connections to power brokers overseas to get a transatlantic. Pay the salary to make it happen. If someone with a eelationship gets us the route, it’s worth the salary.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:46 pm I make no bones on here about wanting Klein gone for years. This is a great opportunity for the city and we should swing for the fences instead of just going “next in line”. Get someone with a proven record of route expansion and connections to power brokers overseas to get a transatlantic. Pay the salary to make it happen. If someone with a eelationship gets us the route, it’s worth the salary.
Meyer has experience with that when he was given a budget and community support.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

langosta wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:50 pm Meyer has experience with that when he was given a budget and community support.
It might be that Meyer was held back by Klein, I just think you need someone who can close a deal. Meyer is a great city and KCi advocate, but it’s going to take a relationship to close a big transatlantic deal, someone who can rally corporate support but also connect with decision makers to take the airport to the next level. I’m not convinced Meyer is that guy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Klein always seemed very small time and while it's hard not to praise him given finally getting s new terminal going he never seemed to have much of a vision. Glad to see a change.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:10 pm
langosta wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:50 pm Meyer has experience with that when he was given a budget and community support.
It might be that Meyer was held back by Klein, I just think you need someone who can close a deal. Meyer is a great city and KCi advocate, but it’s going to take a relationship to close a big transatlantic deal, someone who can rally corporate support but also connect with decision makers to take the airport to the next level. I’m not convinced Meyer is that guy.

I recall Justin was part of the team that got Lufthansa (Eurowings) to Tampa airport. He does have international connections, but I understand what you mean.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Pork Chop wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:17 pm I recall Justin was part of the team that got Lufthansa (Eurowings) to Tampa airport. He does have international connections, but I understand what you mean.
Whoever gets the job, even if it’s Justin, the explicit expectation needs to be to bring a European nonstop with a timeframe for it to happen. This isn’t a “make sure the bathroom are cleaned and buses running” maintenance of the new airport type of position.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:40 pm
Pork Chop wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:17 pm I recall Justin was part of the team that got Lufthansa (Eurowings) to Tampa airport. He does have international connections, but I understand what you mean.
Whoever gets the job, even if it’s Justin, the explicit expectation needs to be to bring a European nonstop with a timeframe for it to happen. This isn’t a “make sure the bathroom are cleaned and buses running” maintenance of the new airport type of position.
I agree.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Pork Chop wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:54 pm
I agree.
Thinking too small. Revenue growth and diversification should be the single biggest goal for KCI.

The more money we can make from industrial, cargo, MX, the cheaper we can make it for airlines to connect passengers and add flights here.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

langosta wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:35 pm
I agree.
Thinking too small. Revenue growth and diversification should be the single biggest goal for KCI.

The more money we can make from industrial, cargo, MX, the cheaper we can make it for airlines to connect passengers and add flights here.
This is even better.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Pork Chop wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:52 pm
langosta wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:35 pm

I agree.

This is even better.
This is the plan that the current aviation department has already set into play. The newest business plan projects turning much of the 10,000 acres into industrial and office parks, adding new air cargo and maintenance facilities. They know this is best strategic path to take. I want someone who can execute on this plan.

A Europe flight is sexy but lets make some longer term and bigger investments
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

I think Justin has done a great job doing what he does. Maybe he would be a great director but I would hope we could get someone who already has director experience, with a track record.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Obviously you can walk and chew gum at the same time, but the strength of KC seems to be as an intermodal hub:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Cool view of the entire airport on a morning departure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzGQ3sDp6p0
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Had my first flight into the terminal. Loved every minute of my time in there and walked away with two thoughts to imo, make it damn near perfect.

1) on the connector between A & B they should make the roof on either side a green roof, or optimally- put up tall glass barriers and some fixed seating and make it an outdoor amenity. Which I know air quality is trash and it would be loud as hell out there, but it's something to put it over the top, but anything is better than mostly just seeing a bare white roof.

2) They really need to speed up baggage claim. I took my sweet time going out to the seating area, bathroom, and up to Dunkin' and I still beat my bag meeting me down on the carousel.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

gfenn11 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:18 pm
1) on the connector between A & B they should make the roof on either side a green roof, or optimally- put up tall glass barriers and some fixed seating and make it an outdoor amenity. Which I know air quality is trash and it would be loud as hell out there, but it's something to put it over the top, but anything is better than mostly just seeing a bare white roof.

I feel the same as you do about making both roofs green, but I don't know anything about creating a green roof, so I don't know if they technically can or can't do it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

gfenn11 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:18 pm Had my first flight into the terminal. Loved every minute of my time in there and walked away with two thoughts to imo, make it damn near perfect.

2) They really need to speed up baggage claim. I took my sweet time going out to the seating area, bathroom, and up to Dunkin' and I still beat my bag meeting me down on the carousel.
I've had two baggage pick up experiences, first time best me significantly when I spent a lot of time looking around. Second time I went right there and maybe waited 2 minutes both from b concourse. I've been impressed
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Baggage claim is dependent on how fast your airline gets the bag to the claim.

Other airports are much much slower
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The centralized baggage delivery seems to be working flawlessly. Pretty impressive based on other new terminal openings.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

KCPT is running a half hour show on the art at the terminal. The background info and artist interviews makes one appreciate the collection much more.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

These Tricks Could Help You Get Your Luggage First at Baggage Claim

https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlin ... t=likeshop