Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Troost developments

Post by kcjak »

I hope Ollie Gates isn't involved - I'm not a fan of what the area transitioned into. The best I can say is that a lot of junkety sections got cleaned up, but there is soooo much wasted, empty space. I feel like if any other developer had done that there would have been screams of gentrification. Side note: the Planet Fitness used to be a mid-tier (lower-tier?) grocery store - Apple Market, I think.
With the NE and NW corners possibly in play for redevelopment this corner could really be transformative.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I used to shop at that grocery store and it was low-tier at best. I now workout at that PFit and am happy. Once the weather gets nicer, I kinda want to explore some of those stores that are in that shopping center.

Also, there's a dumpster outside of the Frontier School offices. Anyone know if they're remodeling or did they consolidate offices and something else is going in there?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like The Black Pantry will be moving or opening a new location at the Crosswalks - SW Corner of Armour and Troost.
Robertsmade LLC DBA The Black Pantry - Wine, cafe, retail shop. Baked goods, merchant goods. Will be serving wine, beer, and light spirits along with small bite food options.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 65cc53e073

I haven't noticed much work happening on the Community Groceries spot for the SE Corner. AFAIK, it is still slated to go in that spot, but no signs of progress.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Stretch of Buildings Revived in Historic Troost Business District
Several buildings on a block in the historic Troost commercial district between 31st and Linwood have been renovated by Clemons Real Estate, with the latest tenant, Glory at Midtown, moving in last fall.

The family-owned development firm has redeveloped the formerly vacant buildings on the west side of the block, 3108-16 Troost and 3124-30 Troost, over the past couple years.

They now house tenants including Journey to New Life; a national costume design studio a counseling clinic, and Glory at Midtown, a church and event space with many of its members living nearby.
They’ve sold the building at 3120 Troost to Journey to New Life and the one at 3142 to the costumer designer. A lease is pending for the counseling office at the former Helzberg jewelry building at 3130 Troost.

Glory at Midtown opened at 3124 Troost last October. Mondays through Saturdays the 5,500 square-foot first floor is used for event space. On Sundays, the congregation gathers to worship.
Navarro said all the renovation work has been completed on the buildings except for the storefront of the building at 3108 Troost. It’s expected to be completed in May and her firm, Legacy Crossing LLC, is looking for tenants.
https://cityscenekc.com/stretch-of-buil ... r3MhZUqSOk
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:28 pm Historic Oglesby Hotel Being Restored as Affordable Housing on Troost
The 130 year-old, Queen Anne-style mansion will find new life providing 25, one-bedroom apartments renting for $650 per month. Eight units will be eligible for KC Housing Authority low-income housing vouchers.
The entire renovation project will cost $6.9 million. About $2.4 million is coming from state and federal historic tax credits, another $1.8 million from the state low-income housing tax credit program and another $1 million from a city housing program.

The Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority (LCRA) also assisted by creating a “footprint” (single property/single project) Urban Renewal Area and awarding a 10-year property tax abatement.

The remainder of the funding is from private sources, including a $400,000 private donation.

The redevelopment is expected to be completed in mid-2022.
https://cityscenekc.com/historic-oglesb ... HVHbNafCPI

The small retail building in front has been demolished already.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3930+ ... 94.5725405
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=73 ... 3966625183

https://www.liveatoglesbyhotelapts.com/floorplans
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Milhaus Teams with UC-B on 100-Unit Apartment Plan on Troost
A familiar team is working together again to develop a 100-unit apartment project at the southeast corner of Linwood and Troost.

UC-B Properties and Milhaus have formed a partnership for the project.

It would join another 89-unit development proposed by Indianapolis-based Milhaus for the southwest corner of the same intersection.
UC-B originally had been working with Brinshore Development for the project proposed for the southeast corner.

https://cityscenekc.com/milhaus-teams-w ... Mi9zO7uIsk
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:37 pm Not sure if it counts as a Troost Development, but a 54-unit, 4-story building is planned at 2708-32 Forest Avenue. Vecino Group is the developer. Elevations and renderings reveal a basic building. It'll be called "The Mabion".
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... =locations
KCATA just approved START incentives for this project

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -side.html
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Butch Rigby redeveloping old Safeway building at 3740 Troost.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Black Pantry leasing 1500 sf at 3108 Troost. Planning on having coffee shop and eventually wine bar.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:44 am Chris Goode, operator of Ruby Jean's on Troost, is advocating to change the name of the street.

‘We don’t just have to live with it’: KC business owner pitches new name for Troost Avenue
Chris Goode grew up near a Kansas City street that honors a slave owner and now owns a business along that street. As a former member of the Kansas City Parks and Recreation Board of Commissioners, Goode pushed for J.C. Nichols’ name to be stripped from the fountain in Mill Creek Park and for the creation of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard in the city. Now, he’s hoping to change the name of one of the city’s most well-known streets — Troost Avenue.
The nearly 11-mile stretch is named after Benoist Troost, a slave owner, Dutch physician and one of Kansas City’s founding fathers.
Troost Avenue intersects with the stretch Lyons, Goode and others worked to rename as Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard in 2020. It’s ironic, Goode said, that a slave owner is honored in the same manner as a civil rights leader. “It’s such a juxtaposition that we have to explore,” he said. “There shouldn’t be an opportunity to see two sides in front of us. What Dr. King stood for versus what Dr. Troost stood for is night and day.”
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... rylink=cpy
Robinson introduced legislation to rename Troost Ave to Truth Ave. Will be in front of Council committees next week. https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... FullText=1
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Don't like Truth. How about Red Line Road, rolls off the tongue and reminds us of our history.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, I agree. Truth, for all its phonetic similarity to the current name, doesn't really expose the actual gross historical truth the way something like Red Line Road would. Some part of me doesn't like it just because it's so gross and shameful, and I think that's all the more reason to go there. Tear off the bandage, show off the wound.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Truth Av lmao can we just call it Ollie Gates Blvd or Sarah Rector Av? Maybe actually honor someone of significance instead of be lazy and rename it sum ppl commonly mispronounce it as anyway
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Restaurants Become Cornerstones of Troost Renaissance Emerging Restaurant Row
Restaurant Row

Troost is emerging as a restaurant row offering a wide selection of cuisines and cultures ranging from African, Jamaican, Irish, Mexican and Middle Eastern.

Many of the newer offerings focus on scratch kitchens using fresh ingredients. Several not only survived opening during COVID, but they are also expanding.
https://flatlandkc.org/eats-drinks/rest ... naissance/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Still nothing happening with apartments at 27th, nothing at Linwood, and the "Troost Village" blight on the east of the 3100 block.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

moderne wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:36 am Still nothing happening with apartments at 27th, nothing at Linwood, and the "Troost Village" blight on the east of the 3100 block.
I'm pissed, but I hope MAC finishing up the Troost & Armour corner (and the eventual completion of Reconciliation Services at 31st and Troost) will spur the in-between stuff on. I was excited when they started the demo...but damn. You're right; it looks like blight right now.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I had heard that the person behind the Troost Village had died and now family not interested in project. Don't know if this is true or not. Having a charming row of vintage storefronts as relics of the first KC suburban shopping district would amp up the revival happening between Troost and 71.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think those old retail spaces between Linwood and 31st Street would fill up if they could just get them done. They've left so many of those buildings open to the elements now that I worry about further deterioration and squatters starting fires.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

FangKC wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:28 pm I think those old retail spaces between Linwood and 31st Street would fill up if they could just get them done. They've left so many of those buildings open to the elements now that I worry about further deterioration and squatters starting fires.
IIRC the other side of the street is actually getting work done...
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

moderne wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:36 am Still nothing happening with apartments at 27th, nothing at Linwood, and the "Troost Village" blight on the east of the 3100 block.
The apartments at 27th are dead (at least Exact isn't building them). They posted the lots for sale (and I think they have sold). It seems like there hasn't been any update for Exact's plans at 30th and Troost either. I think they are overextended with everything on their plate right now.

There is supposed to be a new plan in the works for Linwood and Troost by UC-B and Milhaus, this time incorporating both the SE and SW corners, but I'm not sure how far along it is. PIEA still owns the lots, so perhaps things are being worked out with them behind the scenes. Milhaus at 31st and Troost seems to have gone dormant as well.

I never really expected Troost Village to be fully built out as envisioned, but the fact that the in-progress renovations to the existing buildings stalled out and has left them open to the elements is incredibly frustrating. They seem like solid buildings, so hopefully they will stand up, but if they do end up getting torn down, that will be one of the biggest demo travesties since the dark days.

The way development has stalled on this stretch of Troost (outside of Mac at Armour and the west side of the 3100 block) has been quite disappointing. It really seemed like there was about to be a sea change a couple years ago.