Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by chingon »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:42 am Stadium aside...either way they should do that all-fountain walk for one the south loop cap blocks. That would be a destination site the whole country would want to see. And we'd finally be the "City of Fountains"
Cosign. The city and it's people should also do more for Fountain Day.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

"City of Fountains"*

*6 1/2 months out of the year.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

agreed, cool idea, but honestly getting it in the East Village is best. Can really help to fill in the East side of downtown which has been majorly neglected. Will help to spur development so now we have a full downtown Neighborhood East to West. I'll be excited to see what other development will spread from this and really hoping it brings to bear a full redo of the East side loop and removal of North loop. Even if it is not immediate those type of things can be major improvements over time to begin to reconnect downtown to the River Market area even more so than it is now and have a continuous neighborhoods from the River South. Now I understand this thinking is as "pie in the sky" as the idea of the stadium at the Crossroads location. But the impact to really reshaping the city lies in that East Loop re-do and removal of the North Loop. So much great potential there.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Some good info in here from Sherman today

Notably, confirming that they've done the most work on the East Village site and that they intend to come to voters with some form of a plan in August 2023 or April 2024.

https://twitter.com/todpalmer/status/16 ... 8586157056
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Royals CEO Brooks Sherman seemed to suggest the Royals may be the first to build a tower (or two?) to get the ball rolling on others to build private development around the stadium.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:34 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:28 am Royals CEO Brooks Sherman seemed to suggest the Royals may be the first to build a tower (or two?) to get the ball rolling on others to build private development around the stadium.
Can you point out where he said that or anything close
Part of the other $1 bil package for district development, likened to what San Diego did
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:42 am So your comment is pretty much made up
I can't put out the source publicly without doxxing myself so DM me & i'll explain more.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Sherman essentially saying they're doing this with the Chiefs?

"Sherman declines to put a timeline on making a decision on a stadium site.
"We're working with the @Chiefs as well and at some point they will be part of this process.""

https://twitter.com/todpalmer/status/16 ... 09440?s=20
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:58 am Sherman essentially saying they're doing this with the Chiefs?

"We're working with the @Chiefs as well and at some point they will be part of this process.""

I believe the Jackson County tax is split between them, and I think the contractual language for the Truman Sports Complex has something to do with it. Plus, the Chiefs are the only NFL team left in MO; it surely can make it easier for both teams to get things done with the state, especially since they just won their second SB within the last four years.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Mammoth's release of renderings of the stadium is laughable on the nostalgia front. Copper in the design to remind people of the Star printing plant that used to be there, brick to remind people of the West Bottoms - who cares?!? Just design something that works. Modern to somewhat mirror the T-Mobile Center? Sure. Brick to fit in with the Crossroads? OK. But let's hold off on the old-timey, fake industrial vibe that'll end up looking like P&L District. And why not shift the footprint a block to the southwest and save the (formerly $200 million) Star building for development of the neighborhood around the stadium?

The whole thing smells like the early fight for Sprint Center design. Internationally-known architects Frank Gehry or IM Pei interested? Hold on, a consortium of local talent drops a rendering of their proposal and ends up getting the job. Then, BLOOP, that was just an idea too expensive to be completed - the REAL design is a just a pretty simple glass structure that you can see into.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Pork Chop wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:53 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:58 am Sherman essentially saying they're doing this with the Chiefs?

I believe the Jackson County tax is split between them, and I think the contractual language for the Truman Sports Complex has something to do with it. Plus, the Chiefs are the only NFL team left in MO; it surely can make it easier for both teams to get things done with the state, especially since they just won their second SB within the last four years.
Agreed. Suburban boomers definitely more likely to approve continuing taxes to the Chiefs for Arrowhead renovation than a new downtown "toy" for the Royals. Mahomes and the Chiefs have been the best they have ever been. Time to strike when the iron is hot.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Renderings and nothing more. Let's not over complicate this process. East Village is by far the most logical and practical site to develop.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

I would love to see the stadium design in art-deco to match our most iconic buildings like the Courthouse, City Hall and Union Station.

swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I got robo-texted a "participate in this survey!" link earlier today. At first I assumed it was local election push-polling, but an Internet search of the company name behind the survey looked legitimate enough, so I decided to see what it was about.

Surprise! The Royals are workshopping their messaging about moving downtown when a ballot measure comes up for renewing the stadium sales tax.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

They look a little bit…Albert Speer
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

In looking at what is best for the teams the teams should separate their interests and have separate ballot measures. A Jackson County ballot issue for the Chiefs and a separate Kansas City ballot issue for the Royals. Yes, those city residents in Jackson will be double taxed but at least the whole city carries the tax load.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:12 pm In looking at what is best for the teams the teams should separate their interests and have separate ballot measures. A Jackson County ballot issue for the Chiefs and a separate Kansas City ballot issue for the Royals. Yes, those city residents in Jackson will be double taxed but at least the whole city carries the tax load.
Interesting thought, but not sure it would work. For example, the Chiefs would need for the Royals to move to build a new stadium or expansion of some kind on Kauffman land. If the Royals' move doesn't get approved but the Chiefs does, that would kind of leave both teams in a lurch.