Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Wow, I really like that. I imagine the decision's already been made and the Shermans were being polite, but hopefully they are still open to ideas. Now cue suburbanites asking "WhEre aRe wE sUpPosEd tO pARk???"
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It would be nice, but East Village is the way to go. If a minority owner in Sporting KC wants to pitch this, then do it for a new Children's Mercy Park.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Thoughts after watching the flyover:
- If we couldn't get a real fountain at the airport, we sure as shit ain't getting a bunch of them over a freeway
- (Allie Brosh meme) GLASS BALCONY TOWER ALL THE BUILDINGS, including the AT&T building -- even cell phones need switching centers, y'know
- I like that they seem to be implementing the copper patina from the Press Pavilion into the facade
- Traffic calming on Truman Road by making it a dead end? I don't hate it, honestly
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:29 pm It would be nice, but East Village is the way to go. If a minority owner in Sporting KC wants to pitch this, then do it for a new Children's Mercy Park.
Maybe they figured the planning going into this can be mothballed for a decade or so and rolled back out when it's time to move downtown.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Sani wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:38 pm Thoughts after watching the flyover:
- If we couldn't get a real fountain at the airport, we sure as shit ain't getting a bunch of them over a freeway
- (Allie Brosh meme) GLASS BALCONY TOWER ALL THE BUILDINGS, including the AT&T building -- even cell phones need switching centers, y'know
- I like that they seem to be implementing the copper patina from the Press Pavilion into the facade
- Traffic calming on Truman Road by making it a dead end? I don't hate it, honestly
If the field goes out over Truman, maybe Atomic Collision could sponsor a "Hit This Car and Win" promo, since he'll probably try to park there anyway.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That site might end up helping the Crossroads more than P&L -- specifically, the McGee and 18th Street commercial buildings might give birth to a bunch of independent, non-chain, bars and restaurants as well and turn up the volume on all of the existing ones. Lower overhead and organic.

I like the look of the stadium itself. I also like calling the stadium Royal Palace. That's clever and they should use it wherever the stadium goes. I have a feeling the Kaufmann name will get booted anyway, and a corporation will buy naming rights.

But, they could plop that exact design in the East Village with all the adjacent apartment towers, and NOT have to demolish a whole bunch of buildings. If I were Royals management, I don't know that I'd look forward to waiting to buy out a bunch of property owners and demolish buildings before construction on the stadium could even begin. In addition, the State of Missouri and the Feds would likely have to give permission to build over the Interstate. That would involve traffic slowdowns from lane closures during the construction phase. The East Village is already cleared, and none of that would be involved in building there. Most of the parcels are already in friendly hands. Royals management will be concerned about delivering a built stadium on time. One property owner could go to court and slow the whole thing down.

I also don't think you want to build there when you already have a site where the stadium sits next to 20 different bus routes in the East Village since the Transit Center would be across the street. As GRID has pointed out, buses would be the best method to move a lot of people in and out of the stadium district efficiently.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

This is trash. They show a new building development where the AT&T longlines building is. That's just not possible infastructure-wise. Also, I can't imagine anyway where they would build the outfield stands with thousands of people over the freeway. 20 story building on south Truman that looked to be just a parking garage. I do like the density of it, but other than that--hard pass.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Zero chance that the Crossroads surrenders to this. East Village is the site. Don't get distracted by desperate property owners who sunk a fortune into an albatross.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

This Crossroads location would quite literally be like one of 1 or 2 MLB stadiums that is completely surrounded by density on all sides of it, 360. That's the biggest appeal of it. 90% of MLB stadiums have a giant highway, surface lot or something non-urbanist camped right next to it. Hardly any MLB stadiums are seamlessly urban nowadays. Wrigley is really the only truly seamless stadium left. To me, that's what makes a great stadium -- the ability to walk to all sides of it and still encounter ground level activation. Not just a couple high rises and an interstate/surface lot.

However, with all that being said, you could do the same in the East Village -- it wouldn't feel as dense, but they can make a version of it and we wouldn't lose a chunk of the Crossroads. Yes, the Crossroads version would make the best baseball stadium but the EV location is better for the city overall since it's so blighted.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

langosta wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:04 pm I am more than willing to loose this chunk of the Crossroads for something big*

* Assuming you can guarantee no tear-downs for surface parking and an uptick in spin-off development.
That’s the thing about videos like this. It take 5 minutes and no money to add 10 midrise condos to make a stadium look surrounded by urban fabric. You get a condo tower! You get a condo tower! You get a condo tower!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:04 pm I am more than willing to loose this chunk of the Crossroads for something big*

* Assuming you can guarantee no tear-downs for surface parking and an uptick in spin-off development.
Also this is getting way more positive feedback on twitter than the East Village renderings have gotten. It's not even close.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Interesting concept, some unique designs. But I can’t see them building over the highway. My guess is the MODOT fight alone would sink it beyond the extra expense of building the engineering structures needed to build something like that. Cool pie in the sky type stuff but it’s just an idea/dream. No realities
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Stadium aside...either way they should do that all-fountain walk for one the south loop cap blocks. That would be a destination site the whole country would want to see. And we'd finally be the "City of Fountains"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Using the freeway takes out a lot less crossroads in theory but there is no way this is happening so not thinking about it much past this post
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:26 pm Interesting concept, some unique designs. But I can’t see them building over the highway. My guess is the MODOT fight alone would sink it beyond the extra expense of building the engineering structures needed to build something like that. Cool pie in the sky type stuff but it’s just an idea/dream. No realities
MODOT approved the Bartle expansions over the highway. Basically the buildings are just bridges over the highway.
What will actually kill it is the bad idea that dooms it. Just think of where any parking structure and surrounding development goes. Destruction and property taken in the Crossroads.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Sure this is do-able, but why pay XX% extra to build a bridge when they could just put it in EV for way cheaper. Sure it's a neat idea at a high level, but doubt it happens.