Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:06 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:03 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:41 pm

Ronaldo telling the world that KC sucks would not be beyond him but it would suck for us
KC would've had a better chance to get Ronaldo if the stadium was downtown and not in the isolated field
I don’t know anything. But I don’t think it would’ve mattered. Even if it was downtown, it still would’ve been a small Midwest USA city for Ronaldo. It’s not like he was coming here expecting Miami or Amsterdam. It likely came down to $$$ and the huge bag the Saudi’s offered
100%
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:07 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:03 pm

KC would've had a better chance to get Ronaldo if the stadium was downtown and not in the isolated field
I don’t know anything. But I don’t think it would’ve mattered. Even if it was downtown, it still would’ve been a small Midwest USA city for Ronaldo. It’s not like he was coming here expecting Miami or Amsterdam. It likely came down to $$$ and the huge bag the Saudi’s offered
100%
Reportedly KC was close on compensation. How is that possible? I’m not sure
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:42 pm Reportedly KC was close on compensation. How is that possible? I’m not sure
The inside story of how Sporting KC pursued Cristiano Ronaldo. How close were they?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fifa-w ... r-AA15Rvwg
Looks like Sporting Kansas City offered less than the Saudis on direct compensation but a significant amount more on the "commercial package". This would be a percentage of jersey sales and commercials and increased tickets sales, etc. They knew that that piece would be much more than Saudi Arabia, even being in Kansas City vs NY or Miami. I imagine they sold him on being an American "movie star" and the huge product endorsements and speaking fees and ambassador kickbacks that being in the US would bring. Eventually, the higher endorsement opportunities will start bring the best soccer/futbol players here while they are still in their prime. Glad SKC is trying to make those moves now.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:42 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:07 pm

100%
Reportedly KC was close on compensation. How is that possible? I’m not sure
Equity in the team or the rights to the next expansion franchise in MLS. That's how they lured David Beckham in 2009 and now he owns Miami FC, which is worth $600+ mil now
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:16 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:42 pm Reportedly KC was close on compensation. How is that possible? I’m not sure
The inside story of how Sporting KC pursued Cristiano Ronaldo. How close were they?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fifa-w ... r-AA15Rvwg
Looks like Sporting Kansas City offered less than the Saudis on direct compensation but a significant amount more on the "commercial package". This would be a percentage of jersey sales and commercials and increased tickets sales, etc. They knew that that piece would be much more than Saudi Arabia, even being in Kansas City vs NY or Miami. I imagine they sold him on being an American "movie star" and the huge product endorsements and speaking fees and ambassador kickbacks that being in the US would bring. Eventually, the higher endorsement opportunities will start bring the best soccer/futbol players here while they are still in their prime. Glad SKC is trying to make those moves now.
Fantastic article. KC is so lucky to have Patrick Mahomes.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

You guys buried the lead.

“ But there’s an interesting unintended consequence of the Ronaldo pursuit. One source told The Star that Sporting has already been contacted by another European star who expressed interest in such a move.

The interest, I’m told, is mutual.”

It’s pretty obvious what happened here is some star saw the package Ronaldo got and said “if you don’t want that, I’ll take it.”

I wouldn’t be shocked if Harry Kane, Gareth Bale or some older big name star signs with SKC in the next month.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

If I'm dreaming, Antoine Griezmann would be my pick. Has expressed a desire to play in the MLS after barca and is a Mahomes fan
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:27 pm If I'm dreaming, Antoine Griezmann would be my pick. Has expressed a desire to play in the MLS after barca and is a Mahomes fan
Was thinking this too. Olivier Giroud would be cool too. Lewandowski is getting up there at 34 but still playing very well. He’s also expressed a desire to play in the US. Harry Kane is probably too young at 29. Still strong value, especially in English market.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

T-Mobile subscribers can get a free MLS Season Pass starting tomorrow (I believe it is a limited time offer). MLS Season Pass is the subscription that gives you access to every single MLS game and the only way to watch all SKC matches.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

This is going to be a long, ugly season.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

swid wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:31 pm This is going to be a long, ugly season.
A very long, ugly season...I agree.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I have to say, the SKC crowds seem to be kind of lacking this year. Both in numbers and enthusiasm. Does the supporters section not sing and chant the whole time anymore?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

kboish wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:31 pm I have to say, the SKC crowds seem to be kind of lacking this year. Both in numbers and enthusiasm. Does the supporters section not sing and chant the whole time anymore?
Average attendance is supposedly 18600 per game.

Was able to get $30 row 1 seats tonight
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Have to think that a meh SKC team in a bad location will become the next Royals. Path to chronically poor turnout.

SKC’s stadium was once a shinning jewel but imho has been surpassed across the league. Even in MO will now struggle to attract out of metro fans now that the newer nicer STL stadium is open. Also see it being harder to attracts Marquee games ala Gold Cup
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Kansas City if Illig and Patterson cared about downtown

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:58 pm Have to think that a meh SKC team in a bad location will become the next Royals. Path to chronically poor turnout.

SKC’s stadium was once a shinning jewel but imho has been surpassed across the league. Even in MO will now struggle to attract out of metro fans now that the newer nicer STL stadium is open. Also see it being harder to attracts Marquee games ala Gold Cup
Oh 1000%

Ever since all these other cities have started building downtown MLS stadiums a few years ago the Sporting KC one just looks stupid as hell now. FFS, even the women's team got on the train before them.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I have a hunch the owners realize this now too but aren't quite sure what to do about it yet.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Wouldn't be surprised to see a SKC sale pretty soon. Once original owners retire from active ownership/participation or hand the ownership to their children, it's not long before a sale happens. One of the family wants out and demands to be bought out, don't want to be in Kansas City any longer or it's just not as much fun anymore. It could be one of the current owners buying out the rest to make the ownership more nimble or a majority sale to someone outside who's excited about building a winner again.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This stadium has got to be relocated. Drove way out to that stadium to get some drone pics of it and that area is not only far, but just so bizarrely developed with either tacky suburban development or just odd rural type sprawl. And the footprints and right of ways of the highways and roads are just insane. So much freaking grass. The entire area has a rural feeling to it. Pickup trucks everywhere, everybody walking around like they just bought the whole inventory at Rally House.

Is there any appeal whatsoever for younger urban people to go out to that venue?

IDK. I guess I'm just not used to that anymore. I have come to the conclusion that the ONLY part of metro KC worth a shit is the River Market to Waldo, state line to Paseo corridor. People really should not even be shown the rest of metro KC unless they are from the rural midwest or something.

Move that stadium downtown and it would be amazing.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The Royals & Sporting are in the same boat wherein the only way they can draw people there is if the team is good. If the team sucks, nobody will show. That's the whole point of going downtown is that even if you suck you'll get a higher floor of people still showing up than at the suburbashit stadium.