Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by KC_Ari »

That article also has a link to an online feedback survey
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:51 pm Article in KCBJ this afternoon mentions that both the environmental study and pre-requisites are about finished. The public forums are to get public input on perceived/desired amenities, etc. that might be incorporated into the final plan. Sounds like it will possibly break ground in 2024.
But it's not fully funded. Details!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:51 pm Article in KCBJ this afternoon mentions that both the environmental study and pre-requisites are about finished. The public forums are to get public input on perceived/desired amenities, etc. that might be incorporated into the final plan. Sounds like it will possibly break ground in 2024.
Yeah. From what they said at the event, it seemed the only real hurdle worrying them was getting the funding on time. I think everything else will be in place.

Although they missed on the mega-grant, I do recall reading that once you have your environmental review stamped you're much more likely to be approved. Which I think they would by this December's grants.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

WHEREAS, the Partnership has obtained commitments from the federal government, the City, and the private sector for approximately $60 Million, as well as other contributions from businesses and property owners adjoining the South Loop Link who have agreed to contribute additional monies to the project; and

WHEREAS, the Partnership’s solicitations of the business community and others has resulted in numerous requests for the assistance of Missouri Contribution Tax Credits in return for the contingent contribution of substantial private monies; and

WHEREAS, the $15 Million in contribution tax credits from the Missouri Development Finance Board (“MDFB”) would generate up to $50 Million in additional funds for the South Loop Link and is believed to make possible the project; and

https://kansascity.legistar.com/Legisla ... FullText=1
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

Langosta...Where are you finding the language above? I can't see it on the City Clerk's website.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Hit the ‘text’ tab
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

Thanks!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The South Loop Project is a sustainable urban park over I-670 linking adjacent communities, and a collaborative effort led by Port KC, the Downtown Council, and City of Kansas City. As a public green space and state-of-the-art destination park, it may include features such as accessible play spaces, public entertainment forums, multimodal transportation options and more.
This phase of the project includes formulating ideas for park programming, advancing the park concept through preliminary design, and conducting environmental analysis in line with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).

Project Boundaries
North boundary: Westbound traffic lanes of Truman Road from Grand Boulevard on the east to Wyandotte Street on the west
South boundary: Eastbound traffic lanes of Truman Road from Wyandotte Street to the west to Grand Boulevard to the east
East boundary: Grand Boulevard to the intersection of Truman Road on the north and south
West boundary: Wyandotte Street to the intersection of Truman Road on the north and south
*Additional two blocks of I-670 beneath the convention center from Broadway Boulevard to Wyandotte St
View and comment on initial design concepts based on over 1,500 survey responses about preferred park amenities. The South Loop project team is hosting an in-person public meeting from 5-7 p.m. on Tuesday, April 11, at The Gallery event space. A 30-minute presentation will begin at 5:30 p.m., followed by an open house to review initial park designs and provide feedback.
The Gallery is located at 61 E 14th St, Kansas City, MO 64105. Transportation options include RideKC Bus, KC Streetcar, bike, walk or ride. Parking validation is available for the Cosentino’s Parking Garage and the KC Live! Parking Garage. We look forward to seeing you on April 11!

South Loop Project Public Meeting
Tuesday, April 11, 2023
5-7 p.m.
Formal presentation to begin at 5:30 p.m.
The Gallery
61 E 14th St, Kansas City, MO 64105
https://kcsouthloopproject.org/118-2/
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

They mentioned this at the last public meeting but I still don’t understand the additional two blocks of I-670 beneath the convention center from Broadway Boulevard to Wyandotte St.

Can someone explain to me like I’m 5 why that’s necessary? Seems the value of the park would be where people can see the sun
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I think the most generous assumption is the team is calming/reconfiguring Truman all the way up to Broadway so it isn't such a speedway. Maybe even adding pedestrian access to the park from Broadway?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:19 am I think the most generous assumption is the team is calming/reconfiguring Truman all the way up to Broadway so it isn't such a speedway. Maybe even adding pedestrian access to the park from Broadway?
That is quite generous.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's probably so they can update some unrelated convention center thing and rope it into this project
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Or use convention center bonds for the project and claim its for the convention center
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:58 am Or use convention center bonds for the project and claim its for the convention center
Oh now you might be talking.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Much better idea!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Does anyone have any idea how the width of this park compares to Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston(aka the Big Dig)?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Recap of meeting 1 is live on the South Loop project website

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I’m shocked water feature ranked that low.

When I went to the meeting I donated most of my stickers to the cafe’ vote. Hope it makes it on.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm shocked no one wants an 8-story animatronic Harry Truman.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

FangKC wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:33 pm I'm shocked no one wants an 8-story animatronic Harry Truman.
There is still a chance! Interactive public art is the second highest voted!