OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by shinatoo »

I had much different feelings about KU losing :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:40 am
shinatoo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:46 am but I'm certain I come across to most on this forum as a basic a-hole, or worse, an idiot. Seriously though, it's a web forum, who gives a shit.
I will admit that when I wrote that to Powercat I was extremely irritated due to KU having one its worst losses of the decade and it may have been a little (alot) of misdirected anger, but what I was saying was if KC does something good you'll see a few mild posts about it, when KC does something bad you'll see 4-5 pages on here about it. That's not "confirmation bias", that's just what it is. Yes, to me that's annoying. But whatever. Nothing gonna change that anyway.
I'm still not following. This site is mostly all positive about new things happening in KC?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

And the negativity is from us trying to hold the city to a higher standard. The purpose of this forum is literally to be pedantic assholes.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:54 pm The purpose of this forum is literally to be pedantic assholes.
I was paged?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Q asked Twitter this morning for good and bad comments about the new terminal. I didn't go through them all but there were plenty of complaints. However, almost every complaint included a comment about how they loved the new terminal or were glad we have a new terminal. I would also say very few of the complaints were structural. Almost all were related to staffing issues (cleanliness, food availability, trash cans, and soap dispenser). And the structural ones were fixable. (Signage, occupancy lights for bathroom and parking stalls, parking garage elevators, and staffing the exits of both the main garage and long-term parking).

I agree with the signage. I had to ask how to leave the secure area on the departure level and when I was in the pre-function area I had to ask where the bathroom was. And this was at midnight when I should have had a line of sight to any signage.

I will say I was taken aback by how large the security area is. If it's fully staffed I can't image wait times longer than 15 minutes on the busiest of days.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

All in all, the new airport is pretty great, in particular the Southwest and Delta terminal.

The biggest problem is still the vehicular traffic ingress upon arrival. It’s going to have to be re-engineered ultimately. Just a total mess with confusion over lanes for departures and arrivals, lines of traffic with backups. There is no reason at peak times that there should be this much of a problem and I’ve encountered it now multiple times without improvement.
Last edited by MidtownCat on Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

$3 million in concession revenue since opening
City will add more traffic control officers
Avg. security wait time is 4 minutes
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

MidtownCat wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:59 am All in all, the new airport is pretty great, in particular the Southwest and Delta terminal.

The biggest problem is the still the ingress vehicular traffic upon arrival. It’s going to have to be re-engineered ultimately. Just a total mess with confusion over lanes for departures and arrivals, lines of traffic with backups. There is no reason at peak times that there should be this much of a problem and I’ve encountered it now multiple times without improvement.
They have the same issue at the Detroit North Terminal. Very similar layout to MCI but it's been around long enough that the MCI architects should have noticed the issues they were having.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Be good to summarize comments to Q. Most of what I read seemed to be themed towards cleaning. Bathrooms, food places etc

Easy fix as they get staffing up
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I also saw quite a few comments about the floors already looking scuffed and old. I was curious about this after looking at some of the pictures. The floors looked very wavy like they weren't sanded flush very well. Is this the case or just an optical illusion from the pictures? Perhaps, they can put extra layers of polish to make them look like they should.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Are the cab rates out of KCI just the meter? Anybody have an estimate? I never used them for obvious reasons before but now seems like a legit 2nd option if rideshare prices go nuts or maybe it's competitive anyways?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:32 pm Are the cab rates out of KCI just the meter? Anybody have an estimate? I never used them for obvious reasons before but now seems like a legit 2nd option if rideshare prices go nuts or maybe it's competitive anyways?
Yes. Rate card is here: https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... -and-forms

I thought we had a fixed airport rate, but I guess we don't. Many cities still do.
Taxicab Rate Information Card

 Upon request, the driver of this taxicab will estimate the charge to the passenger’s destination. However, the amount shown on the meter is the fare to be charged, and is the deciding factor. The driver is required to explain the fare system upon request.

 Shared riding is permitted with approval of originating passenger. Taximeter will show total fare per trip. It is recommended that passengers having the same origin or destination shall be charged a portion of the total fare. However, the originating passenger is responsible for total fare.

 The first three minutes elapsed prior to a passenger’s arrival at the beginning of a trip shall not be included in computing waiting time, nor any time prior to the time fixed for pickup shall be included in waiting time.

Fare Schedule

$2.50 initial money drop plus $2.10 per mile.

$0.21 for each 18 seconds of waiting time.

$0.21 for each 18 seconds of traffic delay time.

A $3.00 fee to offset the established airport trip fee will be charged on pickup trips only.

A $0.50 fee will be charged for each additional passenger over two passengers.

Examples of Taxicab Fares

 5 mile trip: $13.00

 10 mile trip: $23.50

 20 mile trip: $44.50

(Examples do not include additional charges for waiting time or traffic delay)

Taxicab Hotline (816) 513-4561

If you have questions about the operation of taxicabs or if you would like to file a complaint about poor service you received, please contact the Regulated Industries Division taxicab hotline at (816) 513-4561. You can remain anonymous or you can leave your name and contact information and a legal investigator will follow up with you regarding your question or complaint.

Rate card to be posted in full view of passengers
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah the cabs should try and get a flat rate going. May see counter to what they would want but love cities with set taco rates from airports so can quickly compare with rideshare.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

In my experience, and this is going back a while (as I haven't seen a true taxi at KCI in many years), the taxis wanted to negotiate a flat fare, and they wanted payment in cash. I would typically offer $40 to the Plaza and $50 to "Prairie Village" meaning any of the areas northeast of 75th and Roe in JoCo. I never got pushback at those prices, and I always ensured I had sufficient cash.

Since Rideshares took over, I have occasionally paid $80 to NE JoCo, but usually more like $55-$65.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:28 pm People keep mentioning the flooring. How did they mess that up? That should be on whoever chose the flooring type. They should be forced to replace it with something fit for an airport.
Probably cheaped out on the flooring materials. You can take the girl out of the Nissan Altima but you cannot take the Nissan Altima out of the girl.

(((No shots to the Nissan drivers lol)))
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If the floor is getting this much attention I think we built ourselves a great airport. If it had real problems we wouldn't hear one thing about something so trivial.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-cit ... g/43369549
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Using the Rate Information Card going from KCI to my home in Volker would cost a minimum of $64.30 plus traffic delay time. Super Shuttle is $47. How is there not a company running a bus or van from the airport to downtown-ish and charging $40?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I'm thinking cab to downtown is going to be $50 minimum. Have rarely seen rideshare close to that but maybe valid backup plan now if I'm in a hurry and the cab is right there. I haven't stepped foot in a KC cab for YEARS.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Last minute flight out tomorrow. Going to have some time to go early so taking advantage of that opportunity. Now I'm nervous I don't know how to use our new airport and where to go get food/drink pre-flight. I was so programmed to never desire anything after getting to KCI.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Reading through the mayor Q MCI thread, the majority of issues reported seemed related to lack of staffing and/or maintenance.

The vast majority were bathroom sinks not working, bathroom soap dispensers empty, not enough/overflowing trash cans, dirty/scuffed floors and carpets, and the arrivals traffic backups. There were a number about lack of seating by baggage claim and pre-security, and that does seem like a (correctable) issue...

With regards to the floors, I can't imagine that's a materials issue, as terrazzo is one of the most durable flooring materials available and shouldn't be difficult to install correctly. The light color choice probably plays a role, but as Shinatoo mentioned, they likely just need to be cleaning it daily.

Hoping these types of ongoing maintenance items don't remain pain points now that we finally have something nice to take care of...