OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:56 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:38 pm I don't think they "messed it up", why does it always rise to that level? It just takes being cleaned, I see scuff marks in a lot of airport baggage claims? I'd prefer the lighter floor to dark that would hide scuff marks better.

In addition to adding traffic monitors/ticketers I do think a crossing guard would be good to help cars vs. peds take turns. If you are a good driver and are respectful to peds, you can be there a bit.
I know it sounds stupid, but having someone in a uniform just scares people into doing the right thing too.

I was at the downtown STL Amtrak station and they had someone out there whose job, as far as I could tell, was to just scream at cars. And it worked!
It absolutely works.

This needs to stop. I think this is a pretty recent video:
https://youtu.be/f6EgL7zcATE?t=590

Older video but this shows how drivers don't just sit at the curb like they do in that KCI video. They just need to enforce this at KCI and people will learn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o7u7GdG__w

BWI departures. I still think the shuttles from parking lots and rental cars should drop off at departures curb. That would also reduce the number of people crossing the arrivals crosswalks by a ton.
You can see here where the BWI shuttles go into their own lane between where everybody else is dropped off by private buses and cars:

And you see cop cars that don't play if you sit too long.

https://youtu.be/8CjTdMLXOYg?t=230
https://youtu.be/I0qJ9LiWesc?t=457
https://youtu.be/5f2pi62XuwY?t=137
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:05 pm
GRID wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:55 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:38 pm I don't think they "messed it up", why does it always rise to that level? It just takes being cleaned, I see scuff marks in a lot of airport baggage claims? I'd prefer the lighter floor to dark that would hide scuff marks better.

In addition to adding traffic monitors/ticketers I do think a crossing guard would be good to help cars vs. peds take turns. If you are a good driver and are respectful to peds, you can be there a bit.
If it can't be properly maintained and looks like shit the majority of the time, the flooring type was messed up. I don't think KCI has the maintenance crew of Qatar or Singapore airports. They seem to be struggling to keep the bathrooms stocked. So something easy to maintain would be a better option.

A new floor is probably not going to happen and I hope they figure out how to maintain what they installed, but it doesn't seem like they chose the best flooring if it's as noticeable as people say. Maybe it's hyperbole though, who knows.
It's been open 18 days and Grid has now declared the flooring a failure and calling for it's replacement. Come on my man!

I mentioned it in my detailed walkaround, you can definitely notice it, that is far from the floor being messed up. Uneven floor? Messed up.

Bathrooms aren't stocked? Where?
I have not declared anything. I'm totally basing it off what a lot of people are saying across various social media sites and even a couple of people I know personally that have already flown through it. And I don't think anybody has said it's bad enough to really give the entire airport a bad review, it's more like if there are negatives, that's what's being brought up.

Again, not getting the sensitivity.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:33 pm
GRID wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:55 pm

If it can't be properly maintained and looks like shit the majority of the time, the flooring type was messed up. I don't think KCI has the maintenance crew of Qatar or Singapore airports. They seem to be struggling to keep the bathrooms stocked. So something easy to maintain would be a better option.

A new floor is probably not going to happen and I hope they figure out how to maintain what they installed, but it doesn't seem like they chose the best flooring if it's as noticeable as people say. Maybe it's hyperbole though, who knows.
It's been open 18 days and Grid has now declared the flooring a failure and calling for it's replacement. Come on my man!

I mentioned it in my detailed walkaround, you can definitely notice it, that is far from the floor being messed up. Uneven floor? Messed up.

I have not declared anything. I'm totally basing it off what a lot of people are saying across various social media sites and even a couple of people I know personally that have already flown through it. And I don't think anybody has said it's bad enough to really give the entire airport a bad review, it's more like if there are negatives, that's what's being brought up.

Again, not getting the sensitivity.
I was listening to a Bill Simmons interview where he was was talking about having to give people the talk, when they start to get reviews or abuse online.

He was like think of all your friends and family, and now out of all of those how many of them do you think would get online to write a long post angry and abusive about what you’re doing?

The answer is normally zero, or the ones you’d pick are the ones you’re scared to go to a restaurant with.

So I’d be careful about taking too much of social media to heart.

There are obviously some issues, but it’s such a big change it was inevitable. Let’s just let them fix them. It seems at this point that people are looking for issues (scuffed floors, bathrooms?) instead of constructively talking about things, which this forum is in theory supposed to be about
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

its' maybe just wording I get caught up on but calling the floor a "mess" just seems extra sensitive in itself for someone who hasn't seen it. It has some rubber scuffs from luggage. who cares? Everything you seem to read from any review just seems to get unnecessarily escalated. Breeze right by "great airport" and focus on a luggage wheel scuff. Just seems weird and overly critical.

It's not like I'm in full sunshine pumper mode, I thrown out things I think they can adjust, again I think I know you too well and extra reading into that.All good.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Flew out yesterday, soap in that first bathroom (the gender neutral one) was out in the first 2 dispensers I tried.

To be clear, I WOULD NOT say it is messed up lol. Moved to a third sink and all was good. An employee next to me was using it too and said they’d get someone on it asap

Solid airport! Definitely agree with the comments about the art and love the local theme
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

It would be very helpful if the KCStar took a little more interest in being a positive voice in the community. I receive a lot of feeds from the Star on social media platforms regarding the new terminal, some of which contain information that would be very useful to the general public regarding dropping off and picking up at the airport among other things. The Star could score some points towards getting their viewership back if they made such articles accessible to the public instead of parking them behind their firewall. I understand the need to keep most content as subscriber only but it's still the most widespread publication in the city and such information could be really useful for airport users. They just seem to never do the right thing.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:59 pm its' maybe just wording I get caught up on but calling the floor a "mess" just seems extra sensitive in itself for someone who hasn't seen it. It has some rubber scuffs from luggage. who cares? Everything you seem to read from any review just seems to get unnecessarily escalated. Breeze right by "great airport" and focus on a luggage wheel scuff. Just seems weird and overly critical.

It's not like I'm in full sunshine pumper mode, I thrown out things I think they can adjust, again I think I know you too well and extra reading into that.All good.
I guess I'm assuming the worst when I shouldn't. I should probably stop reading reviews till I actually see the airport myself in a month. I'm just really excited about the new terminal, so I keep reading anywhere it's talked about.

FWIW, I am constantly defending the new terminal on social media and telling people how to use cell phone parking etc.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

it's a white terrazzo floor. impossible to damage without a hardened steel tool. It's not messed up. They clean up all the scuff marks every night. I was there while they were doing it. Might need someone with a stick with a tennis ball on the end to walk around and erase the scuff marks during that day. Happens in a million public buildings all over the world every day.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:56 pm it's a white terrazzo floor. impossible to damage without a hardened steel tool. It's not messed up. They clean up all the scuff marks every night. I was there while they were doing it. Might need someone with a stick with a tennis ball on the end to walk around and erase the scuff marks during that day. Happens in a million public buildings all over the world every day.
A lot of misinformation being put out on social media right now. Last night I saw a thread on FB with people threatening never to fly to Kansas City because the woke airport only has gender neutral bathrooms.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:58 pm
shinatoo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:56 pm it's a white terrazzo floor. impossible to damage without a hardened steel tool. It's not messed up. They clean up all the scuff marks every night. I was there while they were doing it. Might need someone with a stick with a tennis ball on the end to walk around and erase the scuff marks during that day. Happens in a million public buildings all over the world every day.
A lot of misinformation being put out on social media right now. Last night I saw a thread on FB with people threatening never to fly to Kansas City because the woke airport only has gender neutral bathrooms.
Wait until the see what they have on the airplanes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

shinatoo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:59 pm
Wait until the see what they have on the airplanes.
that lady's tweet was hilarious.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

But that’s simply not true. There are normal gender restrooms as well. People are so closed minded. Honestly, the gender neutral bathrooms are better for privacy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeh we know it's not true, hence the "misinformation"
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, when there's insufficient stuff to be outraged about, people just make shit up and get outraged about the reality that conforms to their biases instead of the reality that exists. It's been going on forever, but holy shit does the internet amplify that madness by about 10000000x (thanks social media).
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:45 pm yeh we know it's not true, hence the "misinformation"
Because nobody on this forum will ever admit KC ever made anything great, but they will go on and on if something was bad. They’re gonna end up doing the same thing with South Loop Cap when design comes out.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:47 pmnobody on this forum will ever admit KC ever made anything great, but they will go on and on if something was bad.
I submit the above as exhibit A in support of my thesis that:
people just make shit up and get outraged about the reality that conforms to their biases instead of the reality that exists.
Objectively speaking, this forum is probably the first place to call out the Star's bullshit negative clickbait nonsense and support and compliment positive progress. It is also, to be fair, the first place to bitch about stuff we don't like. But to state that nobody on this forum will ever admit that KC gets things right, or does things well, is indicative of someone who only remembers negative posts which confirm their bias.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

mean wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:39 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:47 pmnobody on this forum will ever admit KC ever made anything great, but they will go on and on if something was bad.
people just make shit up and get outraged about the reality that conforms to their biases instead of the reality that exists.
Objectively speaking, this forum is probably the first place to call out the Star's bullshit negative clickbait nonsense and support and compliment positive progress. It is also, to be fair, the first place to bitch about stuff we don't like. But to state that nobody on this forum will ever admit that KC gets things right, or does things well, is indicative of someone who only remembers negative posts which confirm their bias.
They can't even remember their screen name.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I'm not sure if you could pick up on it, but I was agreeing with your post from above...most complaints about the airport ARE because they want to believe the new airport would be a failure like they expected it to be. But thanks for using me as your punching bag to make your unrelated point. I can see why so many people leave your site now. Even when you're agreeing with someone they're still an asshole to you. Thanks.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:54 pm
I'm not sure if you could pick up on it, but I was agreeing with your post from above...most complaints about the airport ARE because they want to believe the new airport would be a failure like they expected it to be. But thanks for using me as your punching bag to make your unrelated point. I can see why so many people leave your site now. Even when you're agreeing with someone they're still an asshole to you. Thanks.
I don't know how you meant for your post to read, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you meant it the way you stated above, but it read to me precisely the same way as mean interpreted it. It's hard to convey tone in writing, especially in short forms like this one. Take it from me. I think my posts are sarcastic masterpieces worthy of a Mark Twain short story, but I'm certain I come across to most on this forum as a basic a-hole, or worse, an idiot. Seriously though, it's a web forum, who gives a shit.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:46 am but I'm certain I come across to most on this forum as a basic a-hole, or worse, an idiot. Seriously though, it's a web forum, who gives a shit.
I will admit that when I wrote that to Powercat I was extremely irritated due to KU having one its worst losses of the decade and it may have been a little (alot) of misdirected anger, but what I was saying was if KC does something good you'll see a few mild posts about it, when KC does something bad you'll see 4-5 pages on here about it. That's not "confirmation bias", that's just what it is. Yes, to me that's annoying. But whatever. Nothing gonna change that anyway.