Quixotic dance

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Quixotic dance

Post by ignatius »

There's an experimental dance company out of KC that's been around for about 4 years and is performing at Uptown next week.  Is this a rip off of Cirque De Soleil or a unique dance form coming out of KC?  Is rather curious the various art forms/media combined into this effort.  I dig the music alone.

http://www.inkkc.com/article/463
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =162288044
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Quixotic dance

Post by ComandanteCero »

It's possible they've changed their concept over the years, but when i saw them (a few years back when they were just starting, they had a couple of nights at the old Boley art space, for free) it was mostly modern dance, with some stuff from video artists and a hip-hop/jazz routine, etc.  But I wouldn't say it was like Cirque du Soleil (which is more about acrobatics/gymnastics/circus-like stuff done with an artsy veneer), this was more modern dance in collaboration with various other things (watching the 2007 reel i could see why Cirque du Soleil would come to mind, maybe they've integrated more of those sorts of acts as well).  I might try to catch this, it certainly seems to have grown into quite a production since i last saw them, pretty awesome to see something gain that kind of momentum in such a short time span.  But yeah, hopefully it hasn't just become a "Cirque du Soleil"-lite
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
artistboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by artistboy »

I've seen Quixotic before and we all left very impressed by the whole show. It was great and yes it's a mix of multi-media, dance, music, digital projection, etc.
Dancers come from the KC ballet and pull off some hot moves. Awesome show... and going to see the current one this week. Looking forward to it!
INGREDIENTS: COFFEE, BEER, AND ILL WILL.
Mfd. by KCMO © 1975
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ComandanteCero wrote: It's possible they've changed their concept over the years, but when i saw them (a few years back when they were just starting, they had a couple of nights at the old Boley art space, for free) it was mostly modern dance, with some stuff from video artists and a hip-hop/jazz routine, etc.  But I wouldn't say it was like Cirque du Soleil (which is more about acrobatics/gymnastics/circus-like stuff done with an artsy veneer), this was more modern dance in collaboration with various other things (watching the 2007 reel i could see why Cirque du Soleil would come to mind, maybe they've integrated more of those sorts of acts as well).  I might try to catch this, it certainly seems to have grown into quite a production since i last saw them, pretty awesome to see something gain that kind of momentum in such a short time span.  But yeah, hopefully it hasn't just become a "Cirque du Soleil"-lite
last year's show at the unicorn was much more like cirque du soleil than previous performances.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

quixotic is doing a show with nomathmatics at the foundation this weekend:

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/97846
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the big summer performance is scheduled for june 17-19 at the madrid. the music from last year's performance (lux esalare) is available on itunes.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Quixotic is performing with KC Symphony this Fri/Sat evenings at Lyric.  We have tix.  Can get $5 off if ordering from http://kcsymphony.org - promo code: DOWNTOWN

I hope they do an act or two with projections - looks good...
Illumination
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

plenty of projections and some surprising new music pieces. the inclusion of the symphony was interesting, but I'd rather they continue focusing on the beat-driven electronic sound that sets them apart.

regardless, an excellent show and well worth the full $25 admission price.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

surpassed our expectations. the symphony seemed to be more of an occasional backdrop than a true collaboration.  would actually like to see more collaboration if they are going to hookup together. it was more about quixotic than symphony.  still worked out really well. hope to see them again next year in new PAC with acts that are created specifically for the symphony.

the act after the opening sequence was astounding (the first aerial dance).  the two melded together really well.

one suggestion for quixotic is they shouldn't even attempt synchronized dancing, it's so communist era... dancing with the projections worked well, dancing off of and in response to each other did too but when several tried to dance in sync, it just didn't work.. like trying to herd cats and is a stale artform, like literal paintings that try to be a photograph.  if you can't nail it, don't put it in show.  feels odd it would eve be choreographed in a modern dance company.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

free show at crossroadsKC was great, as always. played to a packed house after a great opening set by DJ sheppa.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Anthony Magliano and Mica Thomas, founders/directors of quixotic, will be giving a talk at the main TED event this year Feb 28th in Long Beach. if you are a TED member you can live stream....or you can just wait until its up loaded later.

http://conferences.ted.com/TED2012/prog ... s.php#1159
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I see that Janelle Monae will also be there. Along with Quixotic, not bad representation for KC.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Kansas Citians claim Monae more than she reps KC. She didn't come up here nor make her name here, or did she? Did I miss Janelle Monae at loft shows!
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

She was born in, and from what I can see, grew up in KCK. Regardless of her eagerness to represent her hometown, I was viewing this as an example of the cultural vitality of KC, which I see to be out of keeping with its size and estimation by the rest of the world. I had a professor at the Conservatory - John Swanay - who said that there are places on the earth that possess their own energy and impart it to the inhabitants of that place. He believed KC to be one of those places. That was in the 70s. I think we're currently seeing the flowering - and broader recognition - of that fact and effect. It seems that KC has begun to be recognized as the creative hotbed that it is, both by citizens and those outside.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

missingkc wrote:She was born in, and from what I can see, grew up in KCK. Regardless of her eagerness to represent her hometown, I was viewing this as an example of the cultural vitality of KC, which I see to be out of keeping with its size and estimation by the rest of the world. I had a professor at the Conservatory - John Swanay - who said that there are places on the earth that possess their own energy and impart it to the inhabitants of that place. He believed KC to be one of those places. That was in the 70s. I think we're currently seeing the flowering - and broader recognition - of that fact and effect. It seems that KC has begun to be recognized as the creative hotbed that it is, both by citizens and those outside.
cool! :arrow:
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

There TED performance has finally been posted

http://www.ted.com/talks/quixotic_fusio ... light.html
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Anyone going? Loving the theme.

Maybe Kansas City should adopt 'Bright Western Americana' as the brand of the city.

https://ci.ovationtix.com/36672/production/1151220
Blast off into the world of Whiskey Dynamite, a nonsensical neo-western cabaret!

Caught in a line dance between the rowdy ruckus and witty whimsy, prepare to be wooed and wowed by audacious acrobatics, immersive theatrics, and the finest show-stopping, jaw-dropping talent from this side of the frontier. Set to a soundtrack of classic Americana meets psychedelic funk, the boundless world of Whiskey Dynamite knows no rules and is certain to be one sexy sucker punch of an unforgettable time.

Dress code strongly encouraged - Bright Western Americana -
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

1st time seeing them but awesome show! To be honest I had no idea there was a 3rd theater in Crown Center
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:58 am 1st time seeing them but awesome show! To be honest I had no idea there was a 3rd theater in Crown Center
Did u go tonight (Friday)? How would u describe the experience?

I may check it out tomorrow.

The 3rd theater was formerly American Heartland Theater-- closed when Halls took over the mall. I love that Hallmark is making use of it again.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Oh man how to describe it… great energy. Funnier than I was expecting. Would definitely recommend. Felt like I was teleported to Vegas for a couple hours