Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:16 pm They’re not even trying.
Expecting the Royals to actually try seems a bit again their standard operating procedure.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:21 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:16 pm They’re not even trying.
Expecting the Royals to actually try seems a bit again their standard operating procedure.
I think once they announce site soon they'll campaign hard all summer and then vote in August.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:21 am What many are failing to take into account is the Royals are depending on a continuation of the Jackson County sales tax to help fund the new stadium. Personally I don't see Jackson County voters approving it for a downtown stadium. I think the Chiefs would be wise to separate themselves from the Royals in a Jackson County sales tax vote.
The chiefs and royals have a current lease that prevents this. They have a favored nations clause that prevents any team from getting better terms and a veto over anything that changes the current setup.

If they're doing anything, they're doing it together. The question is will they get separated or divorced.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:06 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:21 am What many are failing to take into account is the Royals are depending on a continuation of the Jackson County sales tax to help fund the new stadium. Personally I don't see Jackson County voters approving it for a downtown stadium. I think the Chiefs would be wise to separate themselves from the Royals in a Jackson County sales tax vote.
The chiefs and royals have a current lease that prevents this. They have a favored nations clause that prevents any team from getting better terms and a veto over anything that changes the current setup.

If they're doing anything, they're doing it together. The question is will they get separated or divorced.
Yes under current leases and sales tax. I was referring to the future and any vote for a tax that goes into effect in 2031. If the Royals make a commitment to downtown, or NKC, the Chiefs do not have to tag along for something that takes effect after 2030.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:51 pm
Pork Chop wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:39 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:53 pm For now. Van Trust still hasn't taken possession of that parcel and several parking lots, which all share the same ownership.
The building to the west of this one now has fencing around It. I saw it this past Sunday, but it wasn't there a few weeks ago. I noticed "caution tape" around it several weeks back, but that didn't last. I am unsure if the fencing means it will be demolished, but it will not keep anyone from scaling it and entering the building.
That is the former Blackstone Hotel. Van Trust has purchased the building already, and it appears it is coming down and not being renovated.

I went back today and the rear of the building (where the garage was located) has been demolished.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

How many blocks total is Van Trust going to have after that?
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Infer what you want from this

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Other than the parcels needed for the actual stadium, I would break up the parcels, put out RFPs, and allow different developers to compete to develop the parcels. Before the RFPs, the City should straighten Holmes between 8th and 9th. Since we are in such need of housing, the City should stipulate that no residential building can be under 8 stories.

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

My unpopular opinion they really should tear down and re-do the 'East Village Apartments' site right next to the stadium and do a higher & more dense project than that. Especially with its parking lot. I think in a decade from now that site will look very out of place right across the street from stadium.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:35 am My unpopular opinion they really should tear down and re-do the 'East Village Apartments' site right next to the stadium and do a higher & more dense project than that. Especially with its parking lot. I think in a decade from now that site will look very out of place right across the street from stadium.
Then tear it down in a decade
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Absolutely no need to tear it down now, unless there is something shovel ready now. Any of these parcels getting filled is not guaranteed.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

I can't imagine shutting off 11th Street. i would imagine the stadium moving north between 8th and 10th streets and moving east.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm wondering if the parking garages along Cherry are designed to add additional parking decks.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

FangKC wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:35 am I'm wondering if the parking garages along Cherry are designed to add additional parking decks.
Given their age I seriously doubt that. That would incur additional construction costs when built.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:35 am My unpopular opinion they really should tear down and re-do the 'East Village Apartments' site right next to the stadium and do a higher & more dense project than that. Especially with its parking lot. I think in a decade from now that site will look very out of place right across the street from stadium.
I always assumed that would be part of the plan. It looks like a super cheap building and the low rise parking structure next to it taking up half a block is ridiculous. It's bad enough JE Dunn has another half block 2-3 story garage across the street.

That apartment building is right next to the stadium and a terrible use of what will be limited land around the stadium. Plus half the block is a surface parking lot. It should be rebuilt with underground parking, ground floor retail and at least ten floors.

That parking garage really needs to go at the bare minimum. It's as bad as having a surface lot there.

If this new stadium does not open with most of the immediately surrounding blocks at least under construction, a new stadium in that location will suck. Just being honest. The east side of downtown sucks bad. If they put a stadium there, it has to go up right along side a ton of new development and getting that garage and that little hud building out of the way is probably the best plan.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Is that garage next to the East Village Apartments ever completely filled?
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

FangKC wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:17 pm Is that garage next to the East Village Apartments ever completely filled?

When I lived downtown till the spring of 2015, I used to park there on the public side, and I recall that I was able to get the last public spot left shortly after it opened (not sure what year that was). However, most of the parking is for the DOT/FAA next door, and if I remember correctly, I saw many cars parking/parked there during the day (and leaving at the end of the day).

I think the garage was built specifically for the DOT/FAA, but there were a few public spots open (this may have been done to justify the tax dollars spent to build it).
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:43 pm
I always assumed that would be part of the plan. It looks like a super cheap building and the low rise parking structure next to it taking up half a block is ridiculous. It's bad enough JE Dunn has another half block 2-3 story garage across the street.

That apartment building is right next to the stadium and a terrible use of what will be limited land around the stadium. Plus half the block is a surface parking lot. It should be rebuilt with underground parking, ground floor retail and at least ten floors.

That parking garage really needs to go at the bare minimum. It's as bad as having a surface lot there.

If this new stadium does not open with most of the immediately surrounding blocks at least under construction, a new stadium in that location will suck. Just being honest. The east side of downtown sucks bad. If they put a stadium there, it has to go up right along side a ton of new development and getting that garage and that little hud building out of the way is probably the best plan.
100% agree with all this. It's a no-brainer. I hadn't thought about putting high-rise back there (I was just thinking of getting better/appropriate infill) but if they do that'd be even better. Hopefully at some point we can get a nice collection of highrise behind the outfield, because I think this spot too would be in the outfield.