OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by MidtownCat »

Flew out of the new KCI this morning.

No issues with traffic, but it was an Uber drop off and an early am flight.

Excellent to finally have the f&b options and the public art is well integrated throughout. Those were the standouts.

The holding areas at the gates are all super generic. Absolutely nothing inspiring architecturally or memorable overall. It’s essentially status quo with every modern era terminal in America, which is what we were going for. Indy, Dallas Love Field, Salt Lake City are all fairly decent comps experientially.

Nice upgrade, solid B.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:23 am
dnweava wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:48 pm Such a BS excuse, just because they are used to breaking the rules... people in KC are such entitled A holes when it comes to parking. I see people in KC parked in handicap spots at QT almost daily, i see 10s of cars just left in loading zones every day downtown, people park across the sidewalks, they double park, etc... I have nothing but pure hate for this cities parking culture.

I've always used the cell phone lot or parked in the garage. I have zero sympathy for rule breakers. Tow their cars immediately.
I wasn't talking about parking on the curb. Lots of airports allow curbside pickup. They should have made enough space for people to wait for a few minutes to pick someone up from the curb.
There is room for that. The problem is people are queueing up further upstream (because their person isn't ready yet) which is then backing into the road. When you go by those idiots further into arrivals there is curb lanes available for pickup
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

MidtownCat wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:57 am The holding areas at the gates are all super generic. Absolutely nothing inspiring architecturally or memorable overall.
Noticed that as well, given, I feel they did a good job offsetting this with some type of art piece at each gate area. Given a rolling roof still would’ve been better, but I’ll take local art
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

MidtownCat wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:57 am Flew out of the new KCI this morning.

Excellent to finally have the f&b options and the public art is well integrated throughout. Those were the standouts.

The holding areas at the gates are all super generic. Absolutely nothing inspiring architecturally or memorable overall. It’s essentially status quo with every modern era terminal in America, which is what we were going for. Indy, Dallas Love Field, Salt Lake City are all fairly decent comps experientially.

Nice upgrade, solid B.
I can live with generic. As long as it has decent food/beverage choices behind security, adequate restroom services, is not overly crowded like the old terminals and places to charge a cell phone, I am more or less happy.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:53 am There is room for that. The problem is people are queueing up further upstream (because their person isn't ready yet) which is then backing into the road. When you go by those idiots further into arrivals there is curb lanes available for pickup
Ok, that makes sense. So, they’re blocking the whole lane parking at the front and tfw cars behind don’t know to go around. Abandoned cars should be towed. An officer waving people around until people figure it out will probably fix the issue.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Exactly. Additionally one sign makes it look like only one lane for arrivals, check my post earlier for the video piece. So people following that are in that one lane that is feeding to the stopped cars

It's a problem fixed by enforcement and signage and experience. It's still great fodder for local media and those who want to predict the new terminal as a failure
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Maybe Chick-fil-A or Whataburger can be contracted to run Arrivals at KCI.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:28 am
MidtownCat wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:57 am Flew out of the new KCI this morning.

Nice upgrade, solid B.
I can live with generic. As long as it has decent food/beverage choices behind security, adequate restroom services, is not overly crowded like the old terminals and places to charge a cell phone, I am more or less happy.
In my travels, the busiest US airports are generic on the inside
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

When the bar is set at the worst airport experience in America, the status quo is a major success.

Again, it’s definitely a decent upgrade, just a little underwhelming. It’s not like we had aspirations of Singapore Changi Airport or anything ridiculous like that, but I was surprised at how mundane and uninspired it is overall.

It’s like “yep, that’s an airport”.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Which midsized airports are better? Not many in this posters opinion and maybe non that didn’t have major cost or political issues
Last edited by langosta on Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Nice upgrade, solid B.
Yes! This! I cannot tell you how excited I am to get to the airport and eat. Absolutely amazing!

Avocado sliced on bread with a Stella? Don't mind if I do!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

MidtownCat wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:45 pm When the bar is set at the worst airport experience in America, the status quo is a major success.

Again, it’s definitely a decent upgrade, just a little underwhelming. It’s not like we had aspirations of Singapore Changi Airport or anything ridiculous like that, but I was surprised at how mundane and uninspired it is overall.

It’s like “yep, that’s an airport”.
Agreed. It was just so bad for so long "normal" feels amazing.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Can somebody go to KCI and pretend to rent a car? I want to know if the buses to and from the RCF are better now haha.

Also, any ideas of the best place to eat at the new terminal? I might try one of the bbq places or the boulevard brewery place.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Haven't eaten there yet but targeting bbq pieces. Like brown and loe but go there enough
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:52 am Can somebody go to KCI and pretend to rent a car? I want to know if the buses to and from the RCF are better now haha.

Also, any ideas of the best place to eat at the new terminal? I might try one of the bbq places or the boulevard brewery place.
If I have free time this weekend I might entertain this idea :lol:

I enjoy pigwich for sure, but don’t know if it’s on par with their RM location in quality and taste, as I have yet to try the airport location
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:00 pm

Nice upgrade, solid B.
Yes! This! I cannot tell you how excited I am to get to the airport and eat. Absolutely amazing!

The "airports don't need restaurants because nobody eats at airports" schtick wears thin after a while. People do eat at airports. They even eat at non hubs. It's not something I long to do but it's a matter of convenience; I'm not going to risk missing a flight when traveling to stop and get dinner on the way to the airport. Just get past security and take it easy, especially if I can expense it if the flight is business related. The need arises from time to time and glad to have the options.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:23 pm
im2kull wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:00 pm

The "airports don't need restaurants because nobody eats at airports" schtick wears thin after a while. People do eat at airports. They even eat at non hubs. It's not something I long to do but it's a matter of convenience; I'm not going to risk missing a flight when traveling to stop and get dinner on the way to the airport. Just get past security and take it easy, especially if I can expense it if the flight is business related. The need arises from time to time and glad to have the options.
Yep. We always have to either stop around Barry Road or just try and time it right and try and get something to eat downtown, but it's never fun as you are always stressed and watching the clock and worried that you should heading to the airport.

When you have return a rental car, check bags etc, it's just so much less stressful to head to the airport and get through security and then have that extra 30-45 minutes to eat and relax 3 minutes from your gate. Honestly, even if being dropped off and not checking bags, getting there just a tad early vs running right to a gate is just better IMO. And if you flight is delayed which happens a lot, you have options.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:09 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:52 am Can somebody go to KCI and pretend to rent a car? I want to know if the buses to and from the RCF are better now haha.

If I have free time this weekend I might entertain this idea :lol:

I enjoy pigwich for sure, but don’t know if it’s on par with their RM location in quality and taste, as I have yet to try the airport location
You could "test" the RCF buses and the Economy Parking buses and just watch how it works an how people are reacting to new logistics. I know, why would anybody do this that was not actually flying? Well, transportation nerds like myself would lol. Then again, I will walk outside my office here and just watch all the trains and buses at the transit center for an hour or more on a nice day. I find it interesting.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I looked at the commercial curb a few times last Saturday. The queue for economy bus stayed under a dozen people. Not a huge arrival time but still. No other bus queues seemed too long either.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I once described this as the "apple" problem. Everyone wants to have a big reveal and say here's what's next.

I think it would be helpful to just say this in our timeline to do and here's how were trying to do it.