NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Post by moderne »

How the fortunes of 14th St. have changed in this century. It was not too long ago when the P&L was still being leased as office and they could not attract tenants because of the abandoned President. Lux has said this is a preliminary rendering. They have shown that they are responsive to criticism with the changes they made to the Katz project. Would not be surprised if they proposed a max height so they could be able to shave off a few floors in response to community input.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:06 am I’ve not seen anyone on this thread who has directly opposed this development nor the density/uses it will add. Some, rightfully so, are questioning wether we should be exited about an uninspired stack of glass boxes which doesn’t push the design envelope much from what’s been done in town for the last decade. As well, others are voicing some concern with the developer, as it’s stirred quite a controversy with their existing developments in town.
This.

Not everyone is opposed to this project, in fact, we want the parking lot replaced with these usages. We want more residents and a more active downtown. Some of us just wish the design was better but who knows, maybe once the good renderings come out some of us will change our tune. All I know is that there's a lot riding on the Lux tower and 4 Light to activate the area since the Crowne Plaza and 1400 Baltimore do absolutely nothing to help the cause.

The attention now turns to the incentive debate for this one. What type if incentive will be requested and for how long? Will affordable housing be included or will a workaround be found? Will they end up not seeking an incentive and setting a new precedent to demonstrate to Cordish that you don't need incentives to do this type of stuff?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:02 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:06 am I’ve not seen anyone on this thread who has directly opposed this development nor the density/uses it will add. Some, rightfully so, are questioning wether we should be exited about an uninspired stack of glass boxes which doesn’t push the design envelope much from what’s been done in town for the last decade. As well, others are voicing some concern with the developer, as it’s stirred quite a controversy with their existing developments in town.
This.

Not everyone is opposed to this project, in fact, we want the parking lot replaced with these usages. We want more residents and a more active downtown. Some of us just wish the design was better but who knows, maybe once the good renderings come out some of us will change our tune. All I know is that there's a lot riding on the Lux tower and 4 Light to activate the area since the Crowne Plaza and 1400 Baltimore do absolutely nothing to help the cause.

The attention now turns to the incentive debate for this one. What type if incentive will be requested and for how long? Will affordable housing be included or will a workaround be found? Will they end up not seeking an incentive and setting a new precedent to demonstrate to Cordish that you don't need incentives to do this type of stuff?
I doubt if anyone here is opposed to it. I very much want to see it done as that corner is an eyesore but many here, including myself, have expressed an interest in at least tweaking the design to make it a better neighbor to the P&L building. I have, however, seen members of KC tenants on Collison's website (City Scene) expressing their commitment to opposing the development if the developers ask for incentives.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

grecobs wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:05 am Y’all honestly sound like a bunch of NIMBYs….! This is a massive development that would add hundreds of housing units on a decrepit surface lot (if you can even call it that). Sure it would impede I’m the beautiful P&L building, but that’s progress.

I live in New York and have watched the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building slowly cedé into the background thanks to all the new midtown supertalls (1 Vanderbilt, 432 Park, One57, Bank of America Tower, etc.).
As mentioned no one here appears to oppose the project, just making suggestions for design changes to consider P&L more carefully.

In NYC if Empire State or Chrysler building had a comparable blocky tall building proposed that butted up nearly to the tops of those classic buildings I'd think there'd be significant uproar. Here there are just suggestions for design changes so that the P&L building can maintain its separate identity as Chrysler and Empire buildings still have. Dropping new project down a few floors where it butts up to P&L should be a reasonable compromise, and can still build taller at the western side of the new project and give it its own identity.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

earthling wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:59 pm
grecobs wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:05 am Y’all honestly sound like a bunch of NIMBYs….! This is a massive development that would add hundreds of housing units on a decrepit surface lot (if you can even call it that). Sure it would impede I’m the beautiful P&L building, but that’s progress.

I live in New York and have watched the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building slowly cedé into the background thanks to all the new midtown supertalls (1 Vanderbilt, 432 Park, One57, Bank of America Tower, etc.).
As mentioned no one here appears to oppose the project, just making suggestions for design changes to consider P&L more carefully.

In NYC if Empire State or Chrysler building had a comparable blocky tall building proposed that butted up nearly to the tops of those classic buildings I'd think there'd be significant uproar. Here there are just suggestions for design changes so that the P&L building can maintain its separate identity as Chrysler and Empire buildings still have. Dropping new project down a few floors where it butts up to P&L should be a reasonable compromise, and can still build taller at the western side of the new project and give it its own identity.
Who would want to rent an apartment that looks west towards the convention center. those roofs are ugly besides reflecting 90% of the suns rays straight into your apartment
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Not following you, the current proposal already has units facing towards convention center. If there were a drop of several floors midblock, the towering side to western side of block could actually have 360 views depending on design.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:25 pm This proposal is a great addition to very decrepit corner. The P & L tower view is preserved from every direction, the ugly blank west facade is covered up and it increases both hotel and residential density in a very important area of the downtown core.
Yes. Move this along, quickly! There are no valid complaints to note.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The news of this proposal is probably unknown to the general public. The P&L is arguably the most beloved high rise in KC. There may be quite a reaction to the news of a very tall version of the Home2Suites being attached to it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Apologies for the crudeness but here's one idea. Drop several floors midblock (or more/less) and add round or domed tower to western side. It better maintains P&L's identity and gives a companion tower with more separation, also with a better identity than a box. The dome doesn't have to be particularly elaborate and could be taller or shorter than P&L.

Original drawing...
Last edited by earthling on Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Will the dome attract tenants? Serious question.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Could be any kind of design that is functional for living.. or could be a public rooftop restaurant. It's just conceptual of some form of cap that gives the new building a better identity than a box but also about cutting floors midblock to provide more separation from P&L.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Such an ornamental flourish next to the stone and crystal P&L lantern would probably look tawdry and Vegas-ish. Keeping the roof line simple is more compatible.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It doesn't have to be an elaborate dome, just some kind of decent looking cap. So if no dome and keeping a box, What about the thoughts of dropping floors midblock as shown.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Been following the debate here for a couple days now with no opinion. I'm kindaaa with the pro-building people on this one. I think having skylines change and area's morph is just part of being a growing city. Just comes with the terrain.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

earthling wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:08 pm It doesn't have to be an elaborate dome, just some kind of decent looking cap. So if no dome and keeping a box, What about the thoughts of dropping floors midblock as shown.
I think any kind of roof feature up against the P&L building would look terrible. It might work only if it's on the opposite corner of the development.

I'm fine now with this the way it is after giving it more thought, but I still think it would look better if they swapped the towers and put the taller one on the north side of the development.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Here's a domeless version but with some midblock floors dropped to give P&L more separation. Could have a Sheraton/Hyatt style circular restaurant on top that is less imposing....
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I wish they would simply move the higher floors to the north here and simply close the gap to the north and open up the view from the west of the upper tiers of the P&L building.

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

moderne wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:07 pm Such an ornamental flourish next to the stone and crystal P&L lantern would probably look tawdry and Vegas-ish. Keeping the roof line simple is more compatible.
100%
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Here's with a rooftop restaurant, less imposing...

I believe someone suggested something like this but it cuts out a lot of units along western block...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Opposite terracing...