OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by kboish »

Pretty much unanimous from travelers and press coverage today that this was a homerun.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Random thoughts in no real organization following. tl;dr, It's an amazing airport terminal and excited for KC residents.

Blown away. Had fears of too short/narrow, completely unfounded. It felt very spacious. Luckily got in at the very end of the B wing so got to walk a lot of it. Most food was wrapping up and didn't check out each vendor to see what was still serving but still people sitting at some vendors. The art is amazing, every piece of it. Given I strolled to baggage very slowly (20 minutes?) everybody had basically gotten their bags and mine was waiting. They had already taken my flight off the baggage board so that was a little confusing until I saw my bag.

Ended up using Parking Spot as Ubers were insane when I left so didn't get to try out rideshare pickup but looked simple. the parking spot type shuttles were on the other end from the cabs and I was ready to be home so didn't wander down to see if cabs were in fact queued up.

I liked how many of the food places like Martin City brewery and Blvd Brewery by the city market food hall were kind of tucked away but still very airy. wish I would have spent more time in the A node.

Concourse between A/B was much longer than I anticipated and the moving walkways much longer, you fly through there fast.

Being picked up in one central stop I knew would be a nice increase in convenience but I didn't realize how much. Amazing to just have Parking Spot bus there waiting for you versus cruising by. the ped crossings seemed very protected. Granted I was there as the day was winding down.

Feeling of activity in the airport at 8pm when I landed felt so weird, it's usually feeling dead almost all the time so didn't' expect any feeling of activity when landing tonight.

The walking through the double glass doors as you exit out of secured in arrivals level is very cool and approach I've only seen in European airports. It was cool

Biggest confusions I ran into and I was excited to figure out like a first time visitor as it will be my only time to do so.

* The men's bathroom seemed separated in the middle. So most everybody went right and filled up the urinals and I don't think there was a passthrough to the other side (there isn't a I confirmed with a pic I took) but went back to where the signage is to enter and crossed to the other side and it was empty. I could see most going right thinking that's the entrance and left is exit.
* I passed quickly through the food options but the one I spent the most time at was the City Market food hall looking at prices. I couldn't see how to order there. I'm sure it's easier to figure out when up and running, I think they were closed.
* The arrivals door signage seemed very clear but I was still somehow confused. Maybe it's the mixture of using 2 and 3 and then letters, which makes sense for curb 2 and 3 I guess. I think just numbers would have been easier. There is a nice big sign when you enter from escalators but I didn't see another one. Seems there may need to be more as you exit? Maybe I just missed them due to my excitement.
* As mentioned earlier the baggage claim sign already removing my flight from the signage made it a bit confusing.

Things I didn't check out. Delta lounge, departures level, most of the commercial curb area, parking garage, so many of the food options, the A wing, all-gender bathroom
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Think I "have to" pick someone up Saturday, fighting the urge to get there hours early given there isn't much to do pre-security
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ nice review KCP. I can't wait to fly into the new KCI next month. Looks like it's getting rave reviews.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kinda spastic post sorry. Excited to finally experience it. Still mixed so much
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I flew in just after KCP did, and don't have much to add, except that our experience with the baggage claim didn't go as smoothly.

Both the United app and the baggage claim boards in the airport said the bags from our flight would be at carousel 4 (even though the board *also* said that United uses carousels 6 through 8), so everyone stood around 4 for a long time. I got a bit stir-crazy and started walking down towards where United bags should be coming out, and sure enough, 8 was on and I soon had one of our two bags. Then the ramp stopped for about 20 minutes until the other half of the flight's bags came down the ramp; just before that happened, the PA finally announced to the crowd where our bags actually were.

tl;dr: don't be surprised if there are baggage claim teething issues in the next few weeks.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

swid wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:17 pm I flew in just after KCP did, and don't have much to add, except that our experience with the baggage claim didn't go as smoothly.

Both the United app and the baggage claim boards in the airport said the bags from our flight would be at carousel 4 (even though the board *also* said that United uses carousels 6 through 8), so everyone stood around 4 for a long time. I got a bit stir-crazy and started walking down towards where United bags should be coming out, and sure enough, 8 was on and I soon had one of our two bags. Then the ramp stopped for about 20 minutes until the other half of the flight's bags came down the ramp; just before that happened, the PA finally announced to the crowd where our bags actually were.

tl;dr: don't be surprised if there are baggage claim teething issues in the next few weeks.
I suspect a few of the airlines did not properly update their network wide systems. I was perplexed when a flight I was looking at mentioned terminal B…..
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:35 pm
* The men's bathroom seemed separated in the middle. So most everybody went right and filled up the urinals and I don't think there was a passthrough to the other side (there isn't a I confirmed with a pic I took) but went back to where the signage is to enter and crossed to the other side and it was empty. I could see most going right thinking that's the entrance and left is exit.
Ha, heard this from someone who flew into today too
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The bathroom I was in had pass through to both sides.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:16 pm Kinda spastic post sorry. Excited to finally experience it. Still mixed so much
Love these real time opinion posts. Thanks for sharing
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

Waiting to depart. Minimal lines. Everything looks great.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Not sure if it's been mentioned previously, but I returned from Cancun Sunday at the old terminal C (thank god the old International Arrivals area is now long gone) and noticed there is also all new, large signage going up at the entrance to the airport near I-29.

Can't wait to fly out of the new terminal. Not only a much needed improvement but aesthetically it really came together; love the wood ceilings, limestone wall in the headhouse, neon "Kansas City" in the parking garages and the art collection. Hoping the retailers are able to fully staff up and that demand is there to support the massive increase in the number of venues.

So far, so good - keep the reports coming!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kas1 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:49 pm Waiting to depart. Minimal lines. Everything looks great.
we demand more details!
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:30 pm
kas1 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:49 pm Waiting to depart. Minimal lines. Everything looks great.
we demand more details!
My only complaint is that I wanted to use the bathroom before going through security but didn't see one anywhere around. There were signs that looked similar to bathroom signs but were actually for the elevator. Maybe I missed something but I didn't see a bathroom anywhere on that whole floor outside of security. (Check in and security are next to each other on the second floor.)

Parked in the surface lot and walked through the garage. Very short walk. Not sure if that might be because many people are still parked elsewhere.

The walk to my gate was a bit long because I was in exactly the farthest gate. Not bad compared to some other airports though. And getting from car to check in to security was all very quick and easy.

Dimensions seemed perfect for the number of people there.
The departure area would definitely feel crowded if the number of flights gets doubled. Other areas probably okay.

The artwork on the ceiling was tasteful. Didn't take a look at the food options but they seemed fine in terms of quantity and placement.

Overheard someone from out of town making some unspecific positive remarks while mentioning that he had used the old terminal previously.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks for indulging me!

I feel like that surface lot right by the garage is going to be popular and full a lot.

Looks like there are bathrooms at each end upstairs but seems they may need better signage.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

kas1 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:04 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:30 pm
we demand more details!
My only complaint is that I wanted to use the bathroom before going through security but didn't see one anywhere around. There were signs that looked similar to bathroom signs but were actually for the elevator. Maybe I missed something but I didn't see a bathroom anywhere on that whole floor outside of security. (Check in and security are next to each other on the second floor.)
left side of the head house around the corner!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anybody know/see the alcohol rules? Can you wander around anywhere with one or fenced in to where you bought it. I've seen airports doing both. Given STL is wander around anywhere I assume KCI is?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I was at an event yesterday that had a lot of out-of-town business travelers. They were all super impressed with the new terminal. Several said they woke up that morning dreading (hyperbole) flying to KC and were pleasantly surprised when they didn't deplane into a maze of a bunker with no real direction on where to go.

Only complaint was that the ride-share apps haven't updated the roadways yet so you're not sure when your car will arrive or where it is.

Someone also said they deplaned in B and there wasn't any signage on how to exit. They were at the end of the terminal so they obviously went in the only direction they could. I think they answered their own question.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:56 am I was at an event yesterday that had a lot of out-of-town business travelers. They were all super impressed with the new terminal. Several said they woke up that morning dreading (hyperbole) flying to KC and were pleasantly surprised when they didn't deplane into a maze of a bunker with no real direction on where to go.

Only complaint was that the ride-share apps haven't updated the roadways yet so you're not sure when your car will arrive or where it is.

Someone also said they deplaned in B and there wasn't any signage on how to exit. They were at the end of the terminal so they obviously went in the only direction they could. I think they answered their own question.
This is great to hear! Thanks for sharing
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I just checked my video of deplaning from the last gate in B. There is a "baggage claim" sign right there as you exit that hub of gates and one 20 feet down? Seems fine signage but I could see if you missed that first one maybe being confused or that it didn't say ground transportation? Seems explanatory.