NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:37 am Great to see the interest in a 30 floor building but questionable for this location butted up against P&L building. Needs a better design that complements P&L or shorter or another location.
These are my main hang-ups with this project. Love the ground floor activation, but next to one of our crowning jewel skyline pieces, it doesn’t need to be overshadowed by a boring glass box on one side
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yes P&L would lose much of its standout identity with this design.

One design could be 20 floors in middle and on western edge an extra 10 floors of a separate peaking functional tower living space that complements but isn't trying to be a replica of P&L, perhaps a rounded rotunda. Would allow P&L to stand out more and give new building its own skyline identity that isn't boxy.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Edit: These aren't great examples in terms of appearance, am just pointing out some concept caps for the western corner of new building...

Something like these caps on western corner of new building could work with fewer floors between P&L and the dome to provide separation...

A rounded restaurant space or other public accessible space could work too on western corner. Or could be private living space. The rounded floor could be several floors on top of the base building at western corner. Not suggesting this appearance but the concept of round floors at corner of a broader boxy base building as penthouses.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Here are some examples they should strive for on this corner:

Something that contrasts yet compliments with a minimal amount of replication. Something that is tall yet also visually short. Something with a decorative 'hat' that draws visual attention but doesn't draw away from P&L's illuminated crown.

I just don't understand why professional architects can't think of amaze-ball ideas like I can.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:50 am Here are some examples they should strive for on this corner:

Something that contrasts yet compliments with a minimal amount of replication. Something that is tall yet also visually short. Something with a decorative 'hat' that draws visual attention but doesn't draw away from P&L's illuminated crown.

I just don't understand why professional architects can't think of amaze-ball ideas like I can.
I see what you did there.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I wouldn't mind so much if they at least flipped the design so the shorter building is on the south and 30 floor building on the north...at least some stepping to mirror the P&L building.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

I like the new design and I don't mind it next to the P&L building.
I love the old P&L as much as anyone but it's charm can't be allowed to obstruct progress.
The massing and modernity of the new building would create a unique and stark contrast.

The Foshay Tower in Minneapolis is buried in the skyline but still stands unique from ground level.
https://wendycarson.files.wordpress.com ... y-copy.jpg
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:37 am Great to see the interest in a 30 floor building but questionable for this location butted up against P&L building. Needs a design that better complements P&L or shorter or another location.
I am not crazy about the design. It's kind of brutal to be set up against an art deco treasure like the P&L building. I think even a glass building could work in that spot but it should rise in steps from west to east with the highest portion next to the P&L building. That would put the focus on the P&L building rather than distract from it with a big blocky structure. Developers like blocky buildings because they can fit the most apartments in to justify the cost of building high but this isn't the best place for that unless they can come up with a much better design than the preliminary rendering.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Agree, something along those lines, something that doesn't take away from P&L's identity. But also could do something different with a cap for the new building that gives it an identity as well. I didn't post the best examples in terms of appearance but was implying conceptually something along those lines. Amusing response warranted. This will have a permanent impact, design discussion is warranted too.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Highlander wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:10 pm
earthling wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:37 am Great to see the interest in a 30 floor building but questionable for this location butted up against P&L building. Needs a design that better complements P&L or shorter or another location.
I am not crazy about the design. It's kind of brutal to be set up against an art deco treasure like the P&L building. I think even a glass building could work in that spot but it should rise in steps from west to east with the highest portion next to the P&L building. That would put the focus on the P&L building rather than distract from it with a big blocky structure. Developers like blocky buildings because they can fit the most apartments in to justify the cost of building high but this isn't the best place for that unless they can come up with a much better design than the preliminary rendering.
Would you rather have something or nothing?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Something ..with community input that can improve design and not take away from P&L identity in skyline.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

langosta wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:51 pm
Highlander wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:10 pm
Would you rather have something or nothing?
Depends. I think there is a point for all of us where nothing is better than a very bad design.

Regardless, what are the chances of a luxury high rise getting incentives in DT in today's KC affordable housing-charged political climate? Probably not that great.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Skylines are meant to change. If they aren't, somethings wrong.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:15 pm Skylines are meant to change. If they aren't, somethings wrong.
Yes, however, aesthetics still matter.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

3.5 curb cutes down to 3, im fine with the ground-floor.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I actually think this would be fine if they just swapped the towers. Put the tall one on the north side of the development. Then it won't be so intrusive to the P&L Building.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

With this project & Barney Allis starting its renovation soon, that area of downtown is really starting to tie together and become activated well. It'll be like a natural extension from the heart of the P&L district.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:58 pm With this project & Barney Allis starting its renovation soon, that area of downtown is really starting to tie together and become activated well. It'll be like a natural extension from the heart of the P&L district.
When is soon on Barney Allis Plaza? I guess I did not know that was a done deal.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Highlander wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:04 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:58 pm With this project & Barney Allis starting its renovation soon, that area of downtown is really starting to tie together and become activated well. It'll be like a natural extension from the heart of the P&L district.
When is soon on Barney Allis Plaza? I guess I did not know that was a done deal.
Brian Platt said last month he thinks they could start Barney Allis in a few months
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:05 pm
Highlander wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:04 pm
Brian Platt said last month he thinks they could start Barney Allis in a few months
Is that the Copaken proposal with the Apartments on the west side of the Plaza?