OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:06 pm My last flight in/out of the dumpster terminals is today!
Safe flight! Excited to hear your review on the back end.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just landed last night and had some time to wander with it empty. Got all welled up!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:28 pm Got all welled up!
In tears of joy that it's your last time you ever have to be at that shithole airport
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:41 pm https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-sky ... nsas-city/

Nice review of the new lounge. I'm very excited for this.

Also some news (I think?) That Delta will up their frequency to their hubs. No talk of more directs yet which is predictable.
In addition, if you look carefully in some of the photos, you'll spot a Tristar parked in the international concourse. Practicing widebody operations?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:02 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:34 pm Look! There is a place for taxi cabs! lol
I mean I pretty clearly posted all this earlier along with the directions saying you had to call to actually "get" one which still is there

https://flykc.com/getting-to-and-from#g ... sportation
It's just not a good way to run an airport. It assumes that taxi drivers and visitors speak conversational English and that visitors will understand how this works.

If they're so against having a few taxis there, there should be a dispatcher inside that does the process.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:41 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:34 pm Look! There is a place for taxi cabs! lol
I mean I pretty clearly posted all this earlier along with the directions saying you had to call to actually "get" one which still is there

It's just not a good way to run an airport. It assumes that taxi drivers and visitors speak conversational English and that visitors will understand how this works.

If they're so against having a few taxis there, there should be a dispatcher inside that does the process.
I can't imagine why or any reason why they would not have a few taxis queued up there and simply add a new tax to the que as they go. They would easier to find as well.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

My last flight out from the dumpster terminal is Sunday, then flying back into the new terminal on Mar 4th! Will be like landing in a new city (though I cheated & went to the open house preview). There will be information booths manned by actual humans so people looking for their respective ground transit only have to ask….
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:05 pm

I can't imagine why or any reason why they would not have a few taxis queued up there and simply add a new tax to the que as they go. They would easier to find as well.
And the convo comes full circle to when I posted it! We will soon find out. Can always tweak process.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:06 pm My last flight in/out of the dumpster terminals is today!
My last was yesterday, so glad that's over. Spent the morning in the Delta Lounge in Salt Lake. I have to say, nothing has ever made me feel more like a 1% than getting into club lounges. Really excited about the one in KC. Now I'm waiting for my Illuminati invite.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:15 pm

And the convo comes full circle to when I posted it! We will soon find out. Can always tweak process.
I guess I was under the impression that there was not even going to be a taxi stand. Sorry I missed that. If they have taxi a stand, they will likely have a small queue always there. It makes no sense to have to call cabs to the taxi stand from a parking lot five minutes away. If not, they will probably figure it out soon enough that they should have cabs ready at the stand.

I don't know why, maybe I'm just noticing it now, but I have seen several BWI taxi cabs now in the last few days in the area I live in (I live like 25 miles from BWI). I still say a lot of people use them especially if the service is good and easily usable. I will say that airport taxis are about all you see anymore though. Even DC has few of their red tax cabs left it seems.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Not sure if these diagrams have ever been posted but it shows how the 50 gate expansion could unfold. Essentially expanding concourse A south with what I assume/hope will also include more Intl gates and an expanded customs hall. Since we're already opening with 40 gates, I wonder if there will be an intermediate expansion before reaching 50 gates.

source: https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/hi ... al-designs

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:02 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:15 pm

I guess I was under the impression that there was not even going to be a taxi stand. Sorry I missed that. If they have taxi a stand, they will likely have a small queue always there. It makes no sense to have to call cabs to the taxi stand from a parking lot five minutes away. If not, they will probably figure it out soon enough that they should have cabs ready at the stand.

I don't know why, maybe I'm just noticing it now, but I have seen several BWI taxi cabs now in the last few days in the area I live in (I live like 25 miles from BWI). I still say a lot of people use them especially if the service is good and easily usable. I will say that airport taxis are about all you see anymore though. Even DC has few of their red tax cabs left it seems.
I tried to get a taxi at the Westin Bonaventure LA a few years ago and their staff told me cabs weren't a thing there and I need to just Uber. :cry:

Is there 100% certainty NO taxi stand at the new Terminal?
Does anyone have a drawing of the area in question?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

No matter what happens with this snazzy, much-needed airport facility, it's gonna be the new security protocol that makes/breaks it.

Will KCI be ready when we all show up at once? From the photos, the TSA checkpoint area seems quite modest in size. Every human that flies from a 2+ hour radius of KC will be going through this one security checkpoint. If the airport ends up getting more travelers, it will put more stress on the security checkpoint.

I have been in airports where the TSA lines sometimes stretch out into the lobby and into the ticketing areas. That is a stressful experience even if you're there 2 hours early. Thankfully, the airport responds by bringing out K9s in lieu of regular protocol, moving travelers through employee security, etc. As long as KCI masters its security protocol to move people through efficiently and quickly, the new terminal will be a hit. If they are known for having trash security that's understaffed and slow, there will be issues.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ that's what scares me just a little. That holding seems small and during busy times, it will totally fill that area up and possibly spill outside. Unless this is just a very very efficient TSA process.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The articles say 16 tsa lanes for passengers. Clear and TSA precheck also but are those dedicated lanes or do you just move to the front? To trexel’s point, the terminal is 25% larger than our current needs and the check in area is even more oversized to serve a minor gate expansion.

Are there like 8 lines today?

2 Southwest
2 Delta
2 American
2 United

= 8

1 or 2 at the international gates but I’m not sure how much those are used if any since Icelandair is gone and AC uses a standard United gate.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yeah, every time I go to Target, they have like 20 check out lanes and 3 of them are open. 8) I'm sure they know what they are doing. But that headhouse won't feel so big when it has que line taking up most of it.

And I'm not hating on the new terminal !!!! It does seem like a small area though.

Again hopefully this new terminal will be so efficient, that que lines rarely build for TSA. But that will depend on them having enough employees and them knowing how to get people through quickly.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

The security checkpoint area seemed plenty big in person. I'm guessing they'll have the little retractable barrier maze in the ticketing hall, but the actual screening area appears to have more than enough space. It'll come down to how well they can (or choose to) staff it during peak demand. One thing I couldn't tell: Will there be a decent "recombobulation area", as Milwaukee likes to put it?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:41 pm Yeah, every time I go to Target, they have like 20 check out lanes and 3 of them are open. 8) I'm sure they know what they are doing. But that headhouse won't feel so big when it has que line taking up most of it.

And I'm not hating on the new terminal !!!! It does seem like a small area though.

Again hopefully this new terminal will be so efficient, that que lines rarely build for TSA. But that will depend on them having enough employees and them knowing how to get people through quickly.
I don't know how posters can say its small when its double the size and more efficient then what we have today
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

trexel94 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:45 pm Not sure if these diagrams have ever been posted but it shows how the 50 gate expansion could unfold. Essentially expanding concourse A south with what I assume/hope will also include more Intl gates and an expanded customs hall. Since we're already opening with 40 gates, I wonder if there will be an intermediate expansion before reaching 50 gates.

source: https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/hi ... al-designs

I would love to see them add 10 gates, move Delta and United over and give the B concourse to Southwest.

My other alternate reality is JetBlue gets big in KC and takes the expansion concourse.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:41 pm I'm sure they know what they are doing.
I’m not sure that you’re sure