OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by GRID »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:16 pm Of course he’s the only one having an aneurysm over the terminal still.
For a brand new terminal it just seems on the small side of things just based on other newer terminals. Maybe it's fine, but how is that having an aneurysm?

And the ground transportation stuff is a legitimate concern considering KCI has always had very poor ground transportation logistics. I'm not ragging on the new terminal, but just throwing out thoughts like everybody else.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I never said equal amount of space for ride share and taxi and I rarely use taxis myself, but in some cities they do work well and I do think you should at least provide a bare bones taxi service unless KC simply has none left at all.

I know here in DC, taxis have made somewhat of a comeback or at least have stabilized their decline because uber can get stupid expensive and the taxi aps work well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ii think the tweak is just put some taxi at the curb versus having a traveler have to call one. I'm shocked Bill George didn't get a little better setup.

It's a tiny thing though. I'm also totally fine with one pickup dropoff for economy and rental car and other offsite. We don't have enough traffic or big enough airport to need two. It would make it more inefficient.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I just can't see one of those little blue buses running every 20 min to all of econ parking. But whatever, if people there are fine with the service, that's all that matters. I don't use it. I just hope the rental car buses get better. At least they use regular sized buses (which are still always packed).

I know the buses at BWI come every 5-10 minutes and that can seem like eternity if you are running at all late. 20 minute or longer would be insane. And when the buses come at BWI they are 40foot or articulated. So they always have room.

And they drop you off at the departures curb saving another ten min. of not having to navigate back to the departures area from the garage on the arrivals level.

For a town that does nothing but bitch about having to walk at the new terminal, some of this stuff is kind of bizarre that it's not more user friendly. But I digress.
Last edited by GRID on Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I'm glad they released the details for economy lot parking. Hopefully having only one pickup and dropoff point at the new terminal means they can run more buses more often, especially if they stick with the existing short buses. If we end up not getting a people mover, can we at least get a bendy bus?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:40 pm I just can't see one of those little blue buses running every 20 min to all of econ parking. But whatever, if people there are fine with the service, that's all that matters. I don't use it. I just hope the rental car buses get better. At least they use regular sized buses (which are still always packed).

I know the buses at BWI come every 5-10 minutes and that can seem like eternity if you are running at all late. 20 minute or longer would be insane. And when the buses come at BWI they are 40foot or articulated. So they always have room. And they drop you off at the departures curb saving another ten min.
You’d bitch if your ice cream was cold wouldn’t you Grid? Can you say anything even moderately positive about ANYTHING related to KC? Jesus.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:47 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:40 pm I just can't see one of those little blue buses running every 20 min to all of econ parking. But whatever, if people there are fine with the service, that's all that matters. I don't use it. I just hope the rental car buses get better. At least they use regular sized buses (which are still always packed).

I know the buses at BWI come every 5-10 minutes and that can seem like eternity if you are running at all late. 20 minute or longer would be insane. And when the buses come at BWI they are 40foot or articulated. So they always have room. And they drop you off at the departures curb saving another ten min.
You’d bitch if your ice cream was cold wouldn’t you Grid? Can you say anything even moderately positive about ANYTHING related to KC? Jesus.
I bitch when I know things could be done better. Sorry. If you are fine with the way the buses will work. That's good. You will use KCI a lot more than I will.

I already said I like the new terminal FWIW.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

With what? The terminal hasn’t even opened yet and began functioning. We can’t say the busses or anything has gone to hell. We don’t know anything yet other than the interior design- which by all accounts looks great.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:57 pm With what? The terminal hasn’t even opened yet and began functioning. We can’t say the busses or anything has gone to hell. We don’t know anything yet other than the interior design- which by all accounts looks great.
I was just bringing up the buses logistics which were mentioned above. I don't see how the buses can only run every 20 min is my biggest thing and I don't see how those little blue buses can cover the entire economy parking lots especially at 20 min intervals. Then you add in the fact that the buses don't even take you to or from the curb. Most airports have their own services take priority. They will make you walk to the private buses, but the ones going to and from airport ran parking lots and rental cars will be more convenient.

And how can the buses go to hell? Even this will be an improvement to how things work now. Not having to share buses with arriving and departing passengers on them at the same time alone is a huge improvement, but KCI is the only airport I have ever seen that does that now. There are great things about the ground transportation too. namely having a convenient and well marked public transit bus stop.

Again, I looking forward to the new airport, I just thought the ground transportation would have been done a little different or maybe better IMO, but the terminal itself will be 1000 times better.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I know the buses at BWI come every 5-10 minutes and that can seem like eternity if you are running at all late. 20 minute or longer would be insane. And when the buses come at BWI they are 40foot or articulated. So they always have room.

And they drop you off at the departures curb saving another ten min. of not having to navigate back to the departures area from the garage on the arrivals level.

For a town that does nothing but bitch about having to walk at the new terminal, some of this stuff is kind of bizarre that it's not more user friendly. But I digress.
1) We're exploring an APM and new economy lot so no investment in replacing "little blue buses" at this point, please. Economy parking isn't for the "late arriver" either. You get what you pay for out there and I quit using it, it's too inconsistent.

2) it is not going to take 10 minutes to go from arrivals level Commercial lane to the terminal up the escalator here. 1 minute maybe. Dropping off above and picking up below would make for a worse experience requiring way more buses and people than we'd need. It's not bizarre at all and while I don't use economy lots or rental cars at any other cities, the airports I just looked up where I could find this info, it seems pretty standard practice.

3) You only seem to focus on trying to find the negatives for the new terminal here and I'm not sure why? Maybe it's just more interesting discussion. This is a huge upgrade in every aspect of our airport and just trying to find the faults is very weird.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Maybe that's the big difference. I always used econ parking when I lived there and use it here too. I'm not one to pay $25 or more a day to park a car at an airport.

And there is no reason to point out the good things about the new terminal. They are well known. I did mention it seems on the small size of sq footage for a new terminal and it does to me. But it does look like they have more than made up for that with an impressive suite of amenities and pubic art. (I did question the stuff hanging in the main terminal building, but others have too and hopefully it looks better in person).

There is nothing else wrong with the new terminal. It's just a waiting game to see if hopefully more flights will come now. But even if they don't, it's worth the investment.

I really don't see why people are so upset about me questioning the ground transportation logistics. The APM is probably at least a decade away and I thought they would do some things a little better. It by no means makes the new terminal a failure or anything like that.

And one of my biggest pet peeves is low transit frequency which probably triggered me here with the airport shuttles. So yeah, I have given KC a hard time for basically letting its bus system go to shit as far as frequency etc. I know people that live on the max lines and it's so bad for KC to be spending that much on the streetcar while the bus system has become basically unusable. I'm going to slam KC for stuff like that sorry.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think anybody is upset with you. More confused by the hyperfocus on trying to find any item to try and spin into a negative. They are doing things a little better with ground transportation. Actually a LOT better. Leaps and bounds better.

I used to use econ parking here regularly. Ubers just became too easy and cost effective for almost any length of trip. Agreed I can't imagine paying $25 a day for parking. What I said is I don't use those services at other airports but in my research how shuttles work in other cities look exactly like this model at the new terminal.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Apparently, critiquing the new airport is like critiquing a bride- everyone does it, you're just not supposed to do it out loud.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:34 pm Apparently, critiquing the new airport is like critiquing a bride- everyone does it, you're just not supposed to do it out loud.
I think quite a few of us have pointed out things we aren't sure on along with other comments. Not just only "wow that's going to suck" post after post.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:41 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:34 pm Apparently, critiquing the new airport is like critiquing a bride- everyone does it, you're just not supposed to do it out loud.
I think quite a few of us have pointed out things we aren't sure on along with other comments. Not just only "wow that's going to suck" post after post.
Go back and read all my posts on this topic. There are MANY positive posts by me. And the vast majority of the negative ones are related to the ground transportation logistics because they are currently so bad at KCI especially for an out of towner. And while no matter what they will be better, I am hypercritical of that part of the new terminal. I want it to not just be better but as good as it can possibly be.

Have you ever seen a full busload of very unhappy people coming to KC for the first time feeling like they are at the worst run airport bus system ever? Or had people basically beg out of frustration asking me how to find a cab? I have many times.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Difference between common critique's and having an aneurysm. Especially on items not even open yet.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

For all of the negative nellies on here I’d just say what my dad would say “you’d bitch if they hung you with a new rope” Haha!

In reality, none of us know what the new terminal will be like until it’s fully functioning. I suspect some of the larger events like the NFL Draft will be telling, since it’s coming up rather fast after the initial opening.
I for one am just Major KC Fan happy that we will finally have an up to date terminal to take us out of the 70s era terminal that has been an inefficient albatross around our collective necks!

I’ll be able to reflect better once I tour the new terminal this Saturday, and at the end of the month when I fly out of the old (Feb 26th) & back into the new (March 4th)!!

More thoughts in the very near future!
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:22 pm But it does look like they have more than made up for that with an impressive suite of amenities and pubic art.
Well, now you've got my attention
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looking forward to a trip back to KC this Spring. All of the weaknesses I see can be fixed or upgraded over the years. This appears to be a real terminal that will be a massively huge functional improvement and any weaknesses likely can be fixed in the future. Any complaints so far are unwarranted. Suggestions for future improvement have more merit than frivolous complaints.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:49 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:41 pm
Go back and read all my posts on this topic. There are MANY positive posts by me. And the vast majority of the negative ones are related to the ground transportation logistics because they are currently so bad at KCI especially for an out of towner. And while no matter what they will be better, I am hypercritical of that part of the new terminal. I want it to not just be better but as good as it can possibly be.

Have you ever seen a full busload of very unhappy people coming to KC for the first time feeling like they are at the worst run airport bus system ever? Or had people basically beg out of frustration asking me how to find a cab? I have many times.
Sure we all have. They won't be doing that anymore on 2/28.