Urban Living Pet Peeves

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Urban Living Pet Peeves

Post by FangKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:43 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:03 am
Cratedigger wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:56 am Ok total first world problem but here's another pet peeve - how is there not an amazon locker in the river market/CBD/Crossroads? There is one at the Westside Royal but that's not super walkable when it is so cold.

It looks like there is one by ACI, and of course the whole foods as well so this problem goes away in 2025... Still, for how many things you just have to order online when you live downtown, you would think it would be easier to return items.
There has to be a smaller vacant building or retail space that could have something like this added. And maybe one of those Amazon go stores could be added in considering how dense the neighborhood will get in the coming years and how a true, quick, 24-hour convenience store in the neighborhood is non-existent (except for that crap gas station on the other side of 70 on Grand or Wyandotte).

City Harvest, Oaks/Ashland, 413, and 3rd and Grand will add over 650 residential units in the coming years and truly densify the neighborhood to another level. At some point, you would need a 24 hour convenience store (of quality) and an Amazon Locker to serve the residents. Preferably, place it along the streetcar line late night riders (before service ends of course and early morning riders can stop by and get some items and drop off/pickup a package.
One of the retail bays on the back side of Midland could work maybe?
All those retail bays in the Midland will be made into a lobby/playroom for future residents.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:03 am
Cratedigger wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:56 am Ok total first world problem but here's another pet peeve - how is there not an amazon locker in the river market/CBD/Crossroads? There is one at the Westside Royal but that's not super walkable when it is so cold.

It looks like there is one by ACI, and of course the whole foods as well so this problem goes away in 2025... Still, for how many things you just have to order online when you live downtown, you would think it would be easier to return items.
There has to be a smaller vacant building or retail space that could have something like this added. And maybe one of those Amazon go stores could be added in considering how dense the neighborhood will get in the coming years and how a true, quick, 24-hour convenience store in the neighborhood is non-existent (except for that crap gas station on the other side of 70 on Grand or Wyandotte).

City Harvest, Oaks/Ashland, 413, and 3rd and Grand will add over 650 residential units in the coming years and truly densify the neighborhood to another level. At some point, you would need a 24 hour convenience store (of quality) and an Amazon Locker to serve the residents. Preferably, place it along the streetcar line late night riders (before service ends of course and early morning riders can stop by and get some items and drop off/pickup a package.
Get Epoch Development to recruit a convenience store and an Amazon Locker in the project on Delaware. ToDactivist, take note.

viewtopic.php?p=624685#p624685
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Can we get some enforcement/a culture shift on parking with a car length of an intersection? I'm sick of almost getting killed making turns where a car is parked right up to an intersection blocking visibility.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

You must drive by the truck that parks at the stop sign all day at Crossroads hotel. Parking enforcement in this city is a joke
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:01 pm Can we get some enforcement/a culture shift on parking with a car length of an intersection? I'm sick of almost getting killed making turns where a car is parked right up to an intersection blocking visibility.
U could parking like this legal if there were 4 way stops everywhere
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If you stopped a big pickup in the middle of a crossroads intersection, how many days would it take for it to be moved?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If you put a mannequin in the driver's seat, and turned on a turn signal, I'd wager it would be there for at least a week until someone trying to type out a text message on their cellphone plowed into it.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

12:30am on a Wednesday and I was thinking how far we have come that on almost every street I walk past other pedestrians. By 12:40 street racers screamed across downtown and almost hit me.

Edit: I heard police now. Hope they get them!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I was walking home the other night and a car just went straight through a red light at least double the speed limit.

Police don’t give a fuck so why should they?
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^This is not just downtown. I had to drive a large arc across southern KC yesterday evening at twilight from 435/Bannister (a friend bought a house in Ruskin -- that's definitely for another thread) to Ward Parkway to Meyer. So about 12 miles of blacktop. Zero enforcement and minimal rules-of-the-road. People running lights yellow/ red/ deep red; speeding; no signals. Ward Parkway is a racetrack at night, maybe if they let it deteriorate with crater-sized potholes like every other through-road, people might slow down.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Why are there so many manholes in downtown kc
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:44 pm Why are there so many manholes in downtown kc
It's really wild. I'd guess 10x any other city.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Drivers not knowing folks in the crosswalk have the right of way
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I would just shorten that one down to: "Drivers"