5th and Main (Northwest Corner)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: 5th and Main (Northwest Corner)

Post by DaveKCMO »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:25 pm Of note, the residential lobby will be on 4th Street.
Yes, that is notable! I like!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Still a bit of retail space along 5th, is that what I'm seeing? Love this project.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

smh wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:54 am Still a bit of retail space along 5th, is that what I'm seeing? Love this project.
Yep. Entire 5th street frontage is retail. There will also be a small double height commercial space at 4th and Main. So with that and the lobby, roughly 70% of 4th street frontage is activated.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:29 am
smh wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:54 am Still a bit of retail space along 5th, is that what I'm seeing? Love this project.
Yep. Entire 5th street frontage is retail. There will also be a small double height commercial space at 4th and Main. So with that and the lobby, roughly 70% of 4th street frontage is activated.
You love to see it
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

The developer told me construction probably won't start until June. https://cityscenekc.com/delays-grow-cit ... -to-95-6m/
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

cityscenekc wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:54 am The developer told me construction probably won't start until June. https://cityscenekc.com/delays-grow-cit ... -to-95-6m/
I was told June 1st is tentative start date.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

So the City Planning Commission voted to recommend denial of the City Harvest project today?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:05 pm So the City Planning Commission voted to recommend denial of the City Harvest project today?
Says here it was because of the parking.
https://twitter.com/jspencebaker/status ... WsY0SvQpDw

C'mon KCMO. 100s of new residents spending money 7 days a week >> ~75 parking spaces only filling up on the weekend
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Can we just, ban cars already
thanks
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I want to hear more details about the discussion around this project. It’s just weird that parking is the reason when F&H shrunk their parking garage after talking to the neighborhood.
In addition, after discussions with downtown neighbors, Flaherty & Collins shrunk the parking garage by just more than 40%, from 435 to 260 spaces. Of that total, 220 spaces will be reserved for building tenants, with the balance split between paid public and free City Market tenant parking. Originally, all of the current lot's 160 spaces were to be replaced in the new garage.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit ... faa.html
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I expect nothing less. When the deal is so good you have to bitch about parking, you know it's a good deal
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Maybe the council will just pass this one through anyway. There's really nothing glaringly wrong with it.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Case starts at 4:13:15: https://www.youtube.com/live/rdH0s39OK-I?t=15197

Lawyer for City Market tenants, owner of 503 Walnut, KC Taco Co. owner & Opera House owner spoke against because of parking. Some neighborhood NIMBYs named Richard Schnabel & Scott Tanos whined about the height.

Tyler Enders & most others voted against due to parking in the area, something the project has no control over. Commissioners showing a pathetic level of development/planning knowledge – no backing to the city's stated plans/goals. What a joke.

Respect to James Baker for speaking some truth about parking costs.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Underrated part of this project is the top floor restaurant with a view of the city. Need more stuff like that downtown. Even beyond that, the activated ground floor along 5th, upgrading of the park in the back...project is just a no-brainer. One of the biggest no-brainers as far as projects goes in all of KCMO.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Every person who voted no for this project due to parking concerns needs to resign from the CPC.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Is the project dead now? Massive meltdown happening on twitter.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I read the article and it does not appear dead just going back for more discussion. I see the vote was 3-4 in favor of suspending. Bizjournal gave that number. Looks like the concern is from the commercial businesses in the area and the loss of parking for their patrons and of not the people who work at these businesses. Obviously there are solutions, such as the parking garage om 4th ST. by the street car stop.

At any rate it is pretty lame to delay it and there are a lot of solutions I would think. I know people get pissed off on here about parking concerns and honestly most are valid as some leaders overvalue things. But regardless I guarantee that like 99%, if not 100% of the renters who will rent in this building will have cars. (unless they are not of legal driving age). We can say all we want "but, but, the streetcar". It is an awesome amenity and one used to move people around but it is so limited in scope of who & where it serves. These debates are going to continue and as long as there is a 1-1 ratio that should be the starting point. Then address the merchants concerns for parking for their customers & staff. But I agree to get things this far and have to go hard stop is just really poor leadership and planning on everyone's part.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Woof I hope this one gets worked out without adding too many spaces and blowing up a design completely that I actually like.
JohnKCMO
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by JohnKCMO »

I understand how great more people living downtown is. That said let me give you some insight as I'm a, long time, River Market merchant. 75% of my sales are made on the weekends. My credit card sales tell me that 85% of my customers come from outside of the area. That means that they, most likely, come by car. No parking means they won't stop, which means I don't make money, which means you're going to lose those quant restaurants and shops that make the River Market unique. I can tell you that my business is not an exception to these numbers. This Harvest Project got in the door by saying they would replace the 160 parking spaces that they were taking. When everyone got excited about the idea they came back and said "well we can't do it, but we'll give you 20 spaces, on the street". Just a side note; every city owned parking lot in the River market has plans for an apartment project on it. All those projects will expect the same deal. The River Market is filled with individual small business owners. We have made lots of friends in the community. We love having a business there. We welcome new growth. But we also need those parking spaces to stay in business. I'm just offering up the small business side of this discussion.