Prairie Village

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Prairie Village

Post by Cratedigger »

Honestly, more people on the All for PV side than I was expecting! Lot of misinformation of both sides and confusion on the council. Ultimately (barely - vote was 6-5), all zones EXCEPT for single family housing will move forward to the Planning Commission for recommendations. Single Family will stay in council to talk through further zoning changes (or not).
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:04 am all zones EXCEPT for single family housing will move forward to the Planning Commission for recommendations. Single Family will stay in council to talk through further zoning changes (or not).
From where I sit, R-1 is the bulk of what's important here, so the question is basically unanswered. Wishing them luck, there's a lot of FUD being spread on the "stop" side.
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

"Eliminate Single Family Zoning" = cringe

"Right to Build" = VERY based.

Or whatever the kids are saying on Twitter these days.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KC Star Pitchbot - Prairie Village residents fight back against upper middle class housing

https://kcbeacon.org/stories/2023/08/18 ... e-housing/
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Cratedigger wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:01 am KC Star Pitchbot - Prairie Village residents fight back against upper middle class housing

https://kcbeacon.org/stories/2023/08/18 ... e-housing/
I looked at buying a teardown rebuilds in Prairie Village but they have extremely high sq ft costs for KC (which is expected since the builders have to buy the home, tear it down and replace it). That said, while it doesn't necsassarily increase density, it's not a bad thing for KC in general to move the wealth demographic from further south in Johnson County to further north and will ultimately help the Plaza area as well by putting people with more expendable income in close proximity.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

doesnt seem to be as controversial, but it appears to be happening in old leawood as well....lots of teardowns or folks turning relatively modest ranches into $1-3M homes. obv. larger lots so the new homes do not look as out of place. i think it bodes well that folks with the income to live anywhere see value in being "closer in," even if still in JoCo.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

After housing backlash, Prairie Village will vote on petition to 'abandon' form of government

https://www.kcur.org/politics-elections ... 3-election
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I believe that the majority of PV owners do not want additional multifamily properties except in a few obvious locations (Corinth, perhaps State Line, maybe a re-do of the Jones Store Company building (later Macy's) at 71st/ Mission.) Certainly not in in the "old" 1940-1960 developments aka the JC Nichols subdivisions: "Indian Fields" "Prairie Groves" "Nall Gardens" etc.

These were all intended to be SFH throughout, with designated shopping areas adjacent. And they are not architected toward a retrofit of hundreds of apartments amidst, like suburban Chicago. Perhaps State Line could be rezoned on the MIssouri side from Gregory southward to allowing more apartment buildings. The I-35 corridor has always featured lots of multifamily -- there is certainly room to expand that. It also wouldn't hurt to build more density in greater downtown, if density is really the objective.

I will say that when you are in the PV area, the KC metro becomes fabulously convenient -- you never need to get on a highway for your needs. Everything is within a 20-minute drive, whether the Plaza or Midtown, or the vast suburbia to the south and west. It's all just a short ride away.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

At least Ranch Mart North adding Boutique former Foo's and Image Studios.