Mac N’ Co. graduates from Parlor to downtown space

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC Mac N’ Co. is ready to put its cheesy goodness on a bigger platform.

The artisan macaroni-and-cheese restaurant is graduating from its space at Parlor, a food hall in the Crossroads Arts District, to a spot next to Jason’s Deli inside Town Pavilion at 1111 Main St.

It aims for a March or early April opening and plans to offer later hours, such as staying open until 10 p.m. on most weekdays and until midnight on the weekends.
KC Mac N' Co. started as a pop-up in 2019 and opened its Parlor space in July 2021 during the throes of the pandemic. However, Austin said, the concept has thrived — proof of the worthy niche it built in the market.
Parlor gave KC Mac N’ Co. a safe space to test its concept with lower overhead than a traditional brick-and-mortar, Austin said. It refined its processes at Parlor, including its ability to deliver a consistent product.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2023-01-18
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Mac N’ Co. graduates from Parlor to downtown space

Post by FangKC »

This is why older buildings are so necessary for restaurant startups. But in general, we need a couple more of these food hall type spaces in KCMO to help generate new restaurants to go into their own spaces.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Is this going to be the space that was a Johnny C's for a while? Or the space that housed that awesome little Chinese place whose name escapes me that still had Col. Sanders face emblazoned on the soda dispenser (I saw Jason's was operating out of here while they renovated the old Mama Tio's space)? I can't think of anywhere else they could fit.

Bummer they couldn't pull through, I really liked the Chinese place.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Nice to see this place moving on to bigger things. I've gone occasionally and liked it. Parlor is a nice little spot to take friends when they're in town.
FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:19 pm This is why older buildings are so necessary for restaurant startups. But in general, we need a couple more of these food hall type spaces in KCMO to help generate new restaurants to go into their own spaces.
In my opinion, the Katz building would've been ideal for something like this. I think the Armory on Main, if the renovation starts, is supposed to have a Food Hall in it. Overland Park, for what its worth, has Strang Hall. And I think Lenexa City Center has one too. So we have three in operation and one in planning. Not bad. More the merrier though.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:28 pm Nice to see this place moving on to bigger things. I've gone occasionally and liked it. Parlor is a nice little spot to take friends when they're in town.
FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:19 pm This is why older buildings are so necessary for restaurant startups. But in general, we need a couple more of these food hall type spaces in KCMO to help generate new restaurants to go into their own spaces.
In my opinion, the Katz building would've been ideal for something like this. I think the Armory on Main, if the renovation starts, is supposed to have a Food Hall in it. Overland Park, for what its worth, has Strang Hall. And I think Lenexa City Center has one too. So we have three in operation and one in planning. Not bad. More the merrier though.
Don’t forget Iron District in NKC
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i haven't been to the strang in OP but the strang collective in lightwell feels way worse than parlor in terms of letting a space make its own brand in a way that feels portable. strang lightwell is a nice little spot but feels very whitewashed, like a lobby of an apartment building, with the only branding for the individual eateries being basically undifferentiated logos atop either half of the menu and then one logo apiece on two different hood vents visible through the kitchen window behind the bar. i'm happy to have something in there and am content with the food i've gotten there, but scratching my head a bit at the marginal value of the second "kitchen" in that space. maybe the magic is on the back end and this is more user friendly for the individual chefs or something.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean it's not programmed to be a parlor which is more of a hang out place. It's an office worker new food court. I haven't been in there yet but I can imagine it's nothing like Parlor.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

of course, it's completely different, and that's fine. i'm just saying it doesn't necessarily follow that all multi-concept or multi-kitchen establishments are good incubators for eventual standalone restaurants. parlor seems particularly well set up to do that over time. strang lightwell seems particularly poorly set up to do that over time. but as long as strang lightwell has solid food and particularly if they keep some comparatively expansive hours, then they will be a very welcome addition to that part of the CBD even if they don't spin off any positive externalities.