Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by normalthings »

I love that Royals is selling their downtown district as a way to attract retain office jobs in KC specifically downtown. I would love to look at the field from my desk. Good idea to try and use this as a way to attract jobs
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:51 pm I love that Royals is selling their downtown district as a way to attract retain office jobs in KC specifically downtown. I would love to look at the field from my desk. Good idea to try and use this as a way to attract jobs
Do we know yet how many towers/buildings they are actually planning to build around the stadium?

And are these buildings gonna be owned by the royals or some other private developer?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:18 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:51 pm I love that Royals is selling their downtown district as a way to attract retain office jobs in KC specifically downtown. I would love to look at the field from my desk. Good idea to try and use this as a way to attract jobs
Do we know yet how many towers/buildings they are actually planning to build around the stadium?

And are these buildings gonna be owned by the royals or some other private developer?
Actually planning = Zero
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:29 pm I thought about this recently, and I really think it's as simple as tying the Royals vote to a Chiefs stadium and saying we're getting a Super Bowl if it passes. I just don't think with what the Chiefs are now in the NFL now that over 50% are voting against promising a Super Bowl & a new stadium.
This is the only vote that passes. Suburbs get to keep the Chiefs and get a Super Bowl. Royals go downtown. There’d still be opposition by those against any “money to billionaires” but keeping the teams on the Missouri side with a SB carrot gets it done. Separate votes fail and the State of Kansas gets at least the Chiefs.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

You guys are delusional. Super bowls and towers?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:45 pm You guys are delusional. Super bowls and towers?
I don’t see it that way, honestly I don’t disagree with the above points in the slightest.

A Royals vote alone can’t pass, especially with their so far abysmal public engagement. Rolling with the Chiefs support though, a vote would have much better luck at passing, and with a redesigned/rebuilt arrowhead, which would likely include a roof component, a Super Bowl is without question.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:24 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:45 pm You guys are delusional. Super bowls and towers?
I don’t see it that way, honestly I don’t disagree with the above points in the slightest.

A Royals vote alone can’t pass, especially with their so far abysmal public engagement. Rolling with the Chiefs support though, a vote would have much better luck at passing, and with a redesigned/rebuilt arrowhead, which would likely include a roof component, a Super Bowl is without question.
Why risk your public good will when you can not play ball and let someone else test the waters.

If the Chiefs brand alone is so strong, why attach yourself to a piranha?

Even better, let the other ship sink so that you can pick up their loot.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

They already tried the roof once and it failed to pass. I know it’s become normalized in the us for very rich owners to extort money from cities while taking out profits, but I’m not sure it will be successful here.

As for towers around a new hypothetical stadium, what? Look at p&l. Decades later and there is exactly one office building and they slowly build towers.

In my opinion this whole royals things is vapor. Show me the money and I’ll believe you.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I agree with WoodDraw other than the rolling roof failing previously being an accurate bellwether for a vote in the near future. Wasn’t it Trent Green era Chiefs last time around? Make the playoffs in a good year and lose first round? The city is ready to approve anything for the Chiefs in the Mahomes era.

I bet towers will be phase 2 or 3 of the Royals plan. They aren’t going to happen soon or ever if the Royals continue on their current trajectory of mediocrity
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:16 pm They already tried the roof once and it failed to pass.
Different era. Way different era. The Chiefs are prob the biggest team in American sports now, with the biggest star. They've given the city everything. People will back them.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:52 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:24 pm

Why risk your public good will when you can not play ball and let someone else test the waters.

If the Chiefs brand alone is so strong, why attach yourself to a piranha?

Even better, let the other ship sink so that you can pick up their loot.
Wouldn't they run the risk then of Royals staying at Kauffman?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Royals staying at kauffman = royals moving
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:10 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:16 pm They already tried the roof once and it failed to pass.
Different era. Way different era. The Chiefs are prob the biggest team in American sports now, with the biggest star. They've given the city everything. People will back them.
no
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

"Royals owner John Sherman talks of a “baseball district” in new stadium project. Says ownership will commit least a billion to the entire project. 2nd of at least 3 community meetings.
@kmbc"

https://twitter.com/KCMikeMahoney/statu ... Y4mVjEQL7A
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Perfect, no need for public money. Great to hear.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I’m 100% positive the new stadium location will be the East Village. In terms of it actually getting built, I’m not so bullish. The theater around the surrounding ballpark district is what bothers me. If you just promised a new stadium, that would be more than enough. Don’t try to entice people by promising some big mixed-use district around the stadium that you’ll back privately when most baseball fans aren’t coming for the high-rises. They’re coming for the game. Build a new stadium and in the interim, improve the team to actually start winning and making it to the post-season. Rebuild the fan base. Make people want to come to the game.

Building a new stadium does jack if the team is still a loser. Why would you want to live or work looking into a stadium of a losing team?

And before anyone even hints at the idea of it, I’m not in support of the Chiefs moving downtown. If any team is coming downtown, it’s the Royals but they need to get their act together if they still want fans to come and watch them play.
Last edited by Chris Stritzel on Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Any other new news? The presentations are up online
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:56 pm I’m 100% positive the new stadium location will be the East Village. In terms of it actually getting built, I’m not so bullish. The theater around the surrounding ballpark district is what bothers me. If you just promised a new stadium, that would be more than enough. Don’t try to entice people by promising some big mixed-use district around the stadium that you’ll back privately when most baseball fans aren’t coming for the high-rises. They’re coming for the game. Build a new stadium and in the interim, improve the team to actually start winning and making it to the post-season. Rebuild the fan base. Make people want to come to the game.

Building a new stadium does jack if the team is still a loser. Why would you want to live or work looking into a stadium of a losing team?

And before anyone even hints at the idea of it, I’m not in support of the Chiefs moving downtown. If any team is coming downtown, it’s the Royals but they need to get their act together if they still want fans to come and watch them play.
It seems to me like this project would be most similar to Petco Park and the surroundings of it. Coincidentally been as bad of a franchise as the Royals too.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:01 pm Any other new news? The presentations are up online
This one. It's really dumb though.
KC architecture firm @Populous says they have identified several lots, city parks, open spaces that will provide tailgating for #Royals Fans. @kmbc
https://twitter.com/jacksonKMBC9/status ... qCVZmjpU8A
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:24 pm A Royals vote alone can’t pass, especially with their so far abysmal public engagement.
They're just getting started. Looking at ownership, expect a "New KCI"-style push that moves the needle of public opinion (which is measurable before and after).