OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by KCPowercat »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:11 am USO confirmed in the new terminal. This is an absolute boon considering the proximity of Leavenworth, Riley, and Whiteman. I always appreciated a USO when traveling on leave.
WAsn't that a known thing years ago?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

With the new terminal and garage, I take it the remote parking and service to the remote parking will remain the same as at the airport currently? I have a flight after the new terminal opens and wondering what the best option for parking is. The commercial lots outside the airport don't seem to be that great of a deal and the reservations are non-refundable. But I've also have read that bus service to the remote lots is not all that great and there can be long waits (will that be fixed with the new terminal?). Any recommendations? It's my first trip using KCI as a resident in a very long time. In the past as a visitor, I've always rented a vehicle.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:01 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:11 am USO confirmed in the new terminal. This is an absolute boon considering the proximity of Leavenworth, Riley, and Whiteman. I always appreciated a USO when traveling on leave.
Wasn’t known if it would be open in time, or a later addition.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:08 pm With the new terminal and garage, I take it the remote parking and service to the remote parking will remain the same as at the airport currently? I have a flight after the new terminal opens and wondering what the best option for parking is. The commercial lots outside the airport don't seem to be that great of a deal and the reservations are non-refundable. But I've also have read that bus service to the remote lots is not all that great and there can be long waits (will that be fixed with the new terminal?). Any recommendations? It's my first trip using KCI as a resident in a very long time. In the past as a visitor, I've always rented a vehicle.
Economy parking is being completely redeveloped. 1 destination will make things easier/more efficient
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:31 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:01 pm
Wasn’t known if it would be open in time, or a later addition.
Gotcha. yeah cool it's open for opening day.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

This isn't the rumored "second lounge", right?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Nope - the USO lounge is landside (arrivals level, by the baggage claim) while the space for a second lounge is airside near the American gates.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Random question about construction cost as it relates to the 1% For Art component of the new terminal:

The total public art investment is $5.65M, or 1% of the "total vertical construction cost" of the terminal, $565M. What does that total amount include?

Assuming just the basic shell of the building and garage, with finishes, new airfield apron and traffic approaches, jet bridges, etc. being additional costs that bring the total to the claimed $1.5B?
SiouxCity KCMO Man
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SiouxCity KCMO Man »

Heard an ad tonight on 810 that confirmed the open date of the airport to be February 28th. Unless something happens in the next 35 days, it's the worst kept secret out there! Anyone know if they will be taking parts of the tarazzo floors from terminals B and C like they did terminal A?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

SiouxCity KCMO Man wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:31 pm Heard an ad tonight on 810 that confirmed the open date of the airport to be February 28th. Unless something happens in the next 35 days, it's the worst kept secret out there! Anyone know if they will be taking parts of the tarazzo floors from terminals B and C like they did terminal A?
The intent was for all of them to be saved and the ones not used kept. I can't imagine they'll change that.

There are plenty of places around KC that would want those, even on loan.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:37 pm
SiouxCity KCMO Man wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:31 pm Heard an ad tonight on 810 that confirmed the open date of the airport to be February 28th. Unless something happens in the next 35 days, it's the worst kept secret out there! Anyone know if they will be taking parts of the tarazzo floors from terminals B and C like they did terminal A?
The intent was for all of them to be saved and the ones not used kept. I can't imagine they'll change that.

From the sounds of it, they’re just going to lose them with the terminals, they have cataloged all the medallions though. I guess it was incredibly cost prohibitive to salvage them
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just flew in and out. Walked almost half of B, one ad for buildkci.com. no indication of what that was for. I did see eone rendering printed out by the shoe shine person tsper on their box. That's it.

Also just crazy when you think how much equipment needs to be dealt with in the current terminals. Wonder if they try and sell that stuff off at all. Seats, TV's, etc.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:36 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:37 pm

From the sounds of it, they’re just going to lose them with the terminals, they have cataloged all the medallions though. I guess it was incredibly cost prohibitive to salvage them
This isn't what I heard. I saw a map of the new terminal with all of the medallions scattered throughout that kids could use to find, like a scavenger hunt.
https://www.buildkci.com/images/terrazz ... on-begins/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I believe those were only from A terminal
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Airport planners have already removed the hanging installations and intend to save and reuse as many of the 39 medallions in Terminal A's terrazzo floor as they're able. They'll do the same for terminals B and C, but Bosch says he doesn't have a timeline for those.
That's all I could find. At the beginning they said they'd keep them for expansion. But they said a lot of things that get bulldozers lol
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Maybe the terrazzo leaks into the baggage claim.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:55 pm Just flew in and out. Walked almost half of B, one ad for buildkci.com. no indication of what that was for. I did see eone rendering printed out by the shoe shine person tsper on their box. That's it.

Also just crazy when you think how much equipment needs to be dealt with in the current terminals. Wonder if they try and sell that stuff off at all. Seats, TV's, etc.
They have an ad up for the Delta lounge. Two sky decks!

The rest lol no, I'll look tomorrow again when I land. But last time again no food, no advertisment. Bottles of water that they really wanted to be settled self service only.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

For some reason I thought we weren't demolishing B and C yet, but they just issued a bid for that.

Also, I have a chunk of the terrazzo if anyone wants to tour it around the city right now!

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:44 am For some reason I thought we weren't demolishing B and C yet, but they just issued a bid for that.

Also, I have a chunk of the terrazzo if anyone wants to tour it around the city right now!

Demo has been a part of the plan since day 1!

The blue floor is hard to remove, crumbles easily. The medallions require saw cutting 100% through the entire slab.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Maybe the real terrazzo medallions were the friends we made along the way.