KCRag Blue checkmarks (verified users)

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

KCRag Blue checkmarks (verified users)

Post by KCPowercat »

We've been around a long time. We've had a lot of users. We've had a LOT of posts on here with some serious claims or even opinions acting as they are in the development world professionally.

Would there be any interest from those of you who ARE in that world to become verified as someone who actually knows their stuff?

I don't know if it's a good idea or not. I've had it for years but just dawned on me again recently as we've had a bit of a resurgence.

Thoughts?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: KCRag Blue checkmarks (verified users)

Post by Cratedigger »

But isn't that part of the fun?

I'm not really in the world so I wouldn't be pursuing it. If you are and you want to be verified, more power to you.

That said, shoutout to Bahua. Usually the verified tags on websites are to keep spam/bots/trolls out. However, the account granting process here seems to accomplish that for the most part.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

:lol: interesting idea for sure. Devil's in the details but I think there are enough dedicated "Raggers" that would be happy to be subject matter experts of sorts. I'm sure some will offer to be SME's whether you would prefer them or not
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:51 pm But isn't that part of the fun?

I'm not really in the world so I wouldn't be pursuing it. If you are and you want to be verified, more power to you.

That said, shoutout to Bahua. Usually the verified tags on websites are to keep spam/bots/trolls out. However, the account granting process here seems to accomplish that for the most part.
that was after years of not being able to get it under control. Definitely great job B.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It definitely isn't a thought to make money or anything. It's probably a horrible idea.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I like the idea. Been curious to know if normalthings is in that world or not for a good while now...lol
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I feel like I have a pretty good sense of who here actually knows about the business of development. (Not me). I'm flailing residential real estate agent and part time line cook and bartender. Hobby urbanist. Lover of KC.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:46 pm I like the idea. Been curious to know if normalthings is in that world or not for a good while now...lol
He is. I know him personally.

A checkmark is an interesting concept, but I think most of us know by now who’s who in the world of development. There could be a thing where if someone makes a claim, as if they’re a developer, that doesn’t end up happening, then they get a badge or something saying they’re not a developer or architect. That might help differentiate between facts and lies.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

The only way to implement this kind of feature I could imagine that would be effective would be for there to be a mature approval process. And even then, I think petty squabbling would reign in cases in which some people perceive they were denied for what they believe to be reasons related to partiality or prejudice. With that in mind, I would rather just not do it at all.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Wouldn't it be the same procedure as the cool table?
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

"I have an artificial privilege that is inherently arbitrary."

"I am regarded as an expert in the field of urban development."

These are two extremely different statements.