Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by taxi »

Do they still call it the "Zone of Compassion"?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Jackson County legislator comes out against Royals stadium plan
“You have Raytown, Independence, Kansas City that all buffer up to each other around the stadiums themselves,” Anderson said Monday. “I believe that if we’re going to invest anything, I think you should invest there.” - Anderson, who lives in Blue Springs,
Jackson County Legislator Scott Burnett of Kansas City is in a different situation than Anderson is. Burnett decided not to run for re-election in November, but he did talk to John Sherman about his plans earlier this year.

“I expressed that I didn’t want them to move downtown, that I could be from here to seats in Royals’ stadium in 20 minutes, but it was clear from that day in early April that he was going to move,” Burnett said Monday.
https://fox4kc.com/news/jackson-county- ... yals-plan/
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I just don't know how to explain to the anti-urban type in East Jax that they'll show up anyway & really just want to use this as another "IT'S DANGEROUS DOWNTOWN, NO ONE GOES THERE" type argument. Hilarious to see the 20 mins from house to seat thing, just like the airport.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I saw that report last night and thought about sharing it here. But I’m the video it just struck me too much as the media trying to find someone to complain rather than “this is what the county government thinks!” so
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

normalthings wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:40 pm Jackson County legislator comes out against Royals stadium plan
“You have Raytown, Independence, Kansas City that all buffer up to each other around the stadiums themselves,” Anderson said Monday. “I believe that if we’re going to invest anything, I think you should invest there.” - Anderson, who lives in Blue Springs,
Jackson County Legislator Scott Burnett of Kansas City is in a different situation than Anderson is. Burnett decided not to run for re-election in November, but he did talk to John Sherman about his plans earlier this year.

“I expressed that I didn’t want them to move downtown, that I could be from here to seats in Royals’ stadium in 20 minutes, but it was clear from that day in early April that he was going to move,” Burnett said Monday.
:lol:

Just wait till the conversation heats up about the Chiefs moving to Kansas. Ain't seen nothing yet.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Rusty Irish wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:55 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:40 pm Jackson County legislator comes out against Royals stadium plan

:lol:

Just wait till the conversation heats up about the Chiefs moving to Kansas. Ain't seen nothing yet.
You must have missed this
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... oving.html

and this
https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 87672.html
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Kansas City Week in Review panel for the end of the year show did a lightning round of predictions and unanimously said no that a public vote wouldn't pass in August although some took the position that voters should vote for it. I was pretty shocked. Do we really think a simple renewal of the 3/8 cent sales tax is going too be to big an ask to overcome? I'm not sure the panel knew what exactly the were predicting wouldn't pass.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:06 pm Kansas City Week in Review panel for the end of the year show did a lightning round of predictions and unanimously said no that a public vote wouldn't pass in August although some took the position that voters should vote for it. I was pretty shocked. Do we really think a simple renewal of the 3/8 cent sales tax is going too be to big an ask to overcome? I'm not sure the panel knew what exactly the were predicting wouldn't pass.
It will pass because they still have barely used the tool bag to sell it but I don’t get why they’d want a vote in August when the Royals will be in the dumps and morale at the lowest point. Do it in April when there’s that fake optimism everyone that they might win.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:37 pm It will pass because they still have barely used the tool bag to sell it but I don’t get why they’d want a vote in August when the Royals will be in the dumps and morale at the lowest point. Do it in April when there’s that fake optimism everyone that they might win.
This is why it's mandatory that they have a combined Chiefs and Royals ballot initiative. The Chiefs are popular right now and Jackson County residents would vote for anything that keeps the team at the TSC, even if that means losing the Royals. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Chiefs ask for more money than the Royals get. If the Royals are only worth $1B (what Sherman paid for them) and the Chiefs are worth $4B (Forbes valuation), the Chiefs should logically get more.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Popularity, tax revenue, yearly attendance, economic growth potential, etc all sound like more logical metrics from which to divide the money.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Yeah, the Chiefs have to go on the ballot. If the Royals don’t get moved then the Chiefs won’t get what they want either. They just need to work together, throw Mahomes, Rudd, etc on ads, have precise renderings, and then just ram it down people’s throats how great of a deal they’re getting that *taxes aren’t even going to increase and you’re getting a stellar overall deal for how little % that tax is contributing*
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Just reading about other NFL deals, really unclear how chiefs are going to build this without regional tax, state dollars, or a big increase.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Does Missouri really want to lose both of its NFL teams? Especially since it's our only stadium left capable of hosting certain events. You're forfeiting all soccer stuff in the future there to.

I'd like to think Missouri will kick in something.

I'm still not certain what the chiefs want.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

If the Chiefs are a part of the vote I don't know if it happens in 2023

The Royals don't seem to be rushing this either so maybe that's alright
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why hasn't Truman Sports Complex spurred redevelopment? KC builders tried almost 20 years ago
They included 200,000 square feet of destination entertainment uses, such as a local sports museum, sports-themed IMAX theater and a 300- to 500-key Hard Rock Hotel, with rooms and a restaurant and bar overlooking the two stadiums. Uses like an amphitheater, NFL Experience attraction and specialty retail were envisioned between Arrowhead and Kauffman stadiums.

An indoor and outdoor sports training complex, with facilities for the Kansas City Wizards (now Sporting Kansas City), was proposed northwest of the stadiums. To the complex's south were recreational attractions like an indoor ski slope, ice center and outdoor mountain bike trail. And multiple 50- to 70-acre land sites were set aside north and east of the complex for future retail and mixed uses, some of which were connected to the stadiums via gondola.
Block said he, Derrough and Steadman got as far as commissioning architectural elevations and starting to get pricing information for their proposed sports complex redevelopment. He recalled that the idea stopped advancing because the Chiefs at the time did not want to see the complex's surface parking, and resulting income, diminished.
Nowadays, Block said private development around Truman Sports Complex would look rather different from his group's 2004 concept. If the Royals leave, the Chiefs could build new entertainment uses within, or in place of, Kauffman Stadium.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... d-use.html
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I’m glad that and the rolling roof didn’t come to fruition because it would’ve made it so hard to get the Royals moved downtown ever.

Also, makes me wary of Chiefs ever moving to an urban area because of that stance on parking. Not that it’s surprising but it confirms it.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Surely there's a way to set aside a nice surface lot area for tailgating that you can charge out the wazoo for and build giant garages for the rest of the parking, which you can also charge out the wazoo for? No one's paying for the air rights over the parking spaces.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:14 pm I’m glad that and the rolling roof didn’t come to fruition because it would’ve made it so hard to get the Royals moved downtown ever.

Also, makes me wary of Chiefs ever moving to an urban area because of that stance on parking. Not that it’s surprising but it confirms it.
Yes, it confirms their stance almost 20 years ago.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The problem is that you can't tell private land owners what to do. If you put a football stadium somewhere urban in KC, it's just going to get surrounded by parking lots.

The big deal downtown wasn't the sprint center, it was the dump truck of money we gave cordish to actually develop with their expertise on these projects.

Look at the non cordish controlled land around them
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:34 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:14 pm I’m glad that and the rolling roof didn’t come to fruition because it would’ve made it so hard to get the Royals moved downtown ever.

Yes, it confirms their stance almost 20 years ago.
Well if there was any doubt that the Chiefs number one priority was just parking money then the doubt is gone now.

But for example, that's not the case for the Royals. I think they're thinking bigger than just parking money.