Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Politics

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

mean wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:17 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:46 am
mean wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:08 pm ...and it will be "investigated" ad nauseam anyway to try to desperately smear Biden somehow. We've all Benghazi here before.
You don’t think the democrats deserve any blame? They’ve spent 6 years now entertaining anything even slightly potentially damaging to Trump. Investigation after investigation. No rock left unturned. Now it’s his taxes. Will any of his supporters care that he embellished his wealth? Nope. Does anyone care his company didn’t pay taxes on an apartment they bought for an employee? Nope.

So why is anyone surprised that the republicans are going to use the same bullshit, waste of time tactics to try and damage Biden’s fragile reputation?
Somebody please tell me why I shouldn't just delete this guy. Trump tried to overthrow the government and he wants to pretend this is the same as Hunter's laptop.
Because this is the politics thread and is filled with ridiculous takes, and he also provides decent (most of the time) commentary throughout the other threads. Unless he’s blatantly attacking someone or directly calling for violence on this forum, a removal seems a tad excessive
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:38 pm

You don’t think the democrats deserve any blame? They’ve spent 6 years now entertaining anything even slightly potentially damaging to Trump. Investigation after investigation. No rock left unturned. Now it’s his taxes. Will any of his supporters care that he embellished his wealth? Nope. Does anyone care his company didn’t pay taxes on an apartment they bought for an employee? Nope.

So why is anyone surprised that the republicans are going to use the same bullshit, waste of time tactics to try and damage Biden’s fragile reputation?
Somebody please tell me why I shouldn't just delete this guy. Trump tried to overthrow the government and he wants to pretend this is the same as Hunter's laptop.
Because this is the politics thread and is filled with ridiculous takes, and he also provides decent (most of the time) commentary throughout the other threads. Unless he’s blatantly attacking someone or directly calling for violence on this forum, a removal seems a tad excessive
Ok, this seems fair, thanks for presenting a reasonable argument. I guess I just wanted to Elon a bit, but that would only be acceptable if I agreed with his bullshit. Funny how that works.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

mean wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:05 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:38 pm

Ok, this seems fair, thanks for presenting a reasonable argument. I guess I just wanted to Elon a bit, but that would only be acceptable if I agreed with his bullshit. Funny how that works.
The world is shitty and hypocritical no doubt. I think the Rag serves well as a bastion away from said shitty hypocrisy. I just don’t want to see that change!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:08 pm ...and it will be "investigated" ad nauseam anyway to try to desperately smear Biden somehow. We've all Benghazi here before.

Please do you all and powerful admin. It will save me a few dollars, decrease the amount of total posts on this dribble of a forum and I can keep my development insights to myself.

It would be a classic move to ban someone over politics on a development forum because you don’t agree with me.

I haven’t once directly compared the Hunter laptop deal to Trumps 1/6. I think our government has spent tons of money and time investigating many things that have not been worth the time and money. I’m not sure why anyone is surprised when the other team uses a play from the opponents playbook.

But go ahead, shut down my free speech because it’s not agreeable to you.
Last edited by DColeKC on Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:26 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:55 pm
Link2 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:53 pm

Again, everything is not about you. Please refrain from always replying to each of my posts on this subtopic.
I brought the topic up. If you don't want me to respond, don't post!

Since you got yourself involved, are you ok with the amount of money and time the democrats have spent investigating Trump?
Oh wow! Congrats on starting this topic.

A supporter of Trump complaining about wasting taxpayer dollars is...interesting. But, no, I would not care about a figure so minuscule in comparison to estimates related to expenses for Trump's golf outings. And they can do multiple things at once, so I'm certainly not worried about the time commitments interfering with their work.

Pointless in this argument as I've learned, but the figure you're referencing relates to the Mueller Investigation. And the figure I've seen is closer to $32 million.

And get this, Mueller was appointed special counsel by Rod Rosenstein -- who himself was nominated by Trump to the position that allowed him to appoint the SC. So your complaint -- inaccuracies and all -- would be better directed to someone on your side of the aisle.
I’m not a Trump supporter but I’ll let that inaccuracy slide because I can reasonably understand how you get there. I won’t label you even though the writing is on the wall. Your comment about politicians being able to do multiple things at once makes me wonder if you understand anything about government.

I really try to post accurate information, so know before I post, I’ve probably checked it out. My 40 million figure was not just the Mueller investigation and yes, that was 32 million. It’s all investigations aimed at Trump. It will likely eclipse 40 million before it’s all over considering the 1/6 committee was around 5 or 6 million awhile back.

I don’t understand your point about who appointed Mueller. I’ll once again chalk this up to your inability to understand how government works.

Edit: let’s just stop engaging with each other. We clearly don’t respect one another. I don’t have any friends on here but at least I have respect for what they have to say.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:48 pm Considering how poorly election deniers fared in the 2022 election, I would venture that a majority of American voters thought the investigations were/are important and worthwhile.
Rip my OPINION apart but I don’t think the investigations played a significant part in that. Abortion was astronomically more impactful.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:12 am
grovester wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:48 pm Considering how poorly election deniers fared in the 2022 election, I would venture that a majority of American voters thought the investigations were/are important and worthwhile.
Rip my OPINION apart but I don’t think the investigations played a significant part in that. Abortion was astronomically more impactful.
I'll guess that in close races there were a significant number of republicans that may have been pro life, but wanted nothing to do with crazy Trumpers.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:06 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:55 pm

I brought the topic up. If you don't want me to respond, don't post!

Since you got yourself involved, are you ok with the amount of money and time the democrats have spent investigating Trump?

A supporter of Trump complaining about wasting taxpayer dollars is...interesting. But, no, I would not care about a figure so minuscule in comparison to estimates related to expenses for Trump's golf outings. And they can do multiple things at once, so I'm certainly not worried about the time commitments interfering with their work.

Pointless in this argument as I've learned, but the figure you're referencing relates to the Mueller Investigation. And the figure I've seen is closer to $32 million.

And get this, Mueller was appointed special counsel by Rod Rosenstein -- who himself was nominated by Trump to the position that allowed him to appoint the SC. So your complaint -- inaccuracies and all -- would be better directed to someone on your side of the aisle.
I’m not a Trump supporter but I’ll let that inaccuracy slide because I can reasonably understand how you get there. I won’t label you even though the writing is on the wall. Your comment about politicians being able to do multiple things at once makes me wonder if you understand anything about government.

I really try to post accurate information, so know before I post, I’ve probably checked it out. My 40 million figure was not just the Mueller investigation and yes, that was 32 million. It’s all investigations aimed at Trump. It will likely eclipse 40 million before it’s all over considering the 1/6 committee was around 5 or 6 million awhile back.

I don’t understand your point about who appointed Mueller. I’ll once again chalk this up to your inability to understand how government works.

Edit: let’s just stop engaging with each other. We clearly don’t respect one another. I don’t have any friends on here but at least I have respect for what they have to say.
You act like I have not mentioned this disengagement idea multiple times on here. In fact, I just mentioned it again yesterday on this very thread.

And you are correct, I do not respect folks such as you for many reasons. But I also do not display the vitriol on here like you do. And your constant refrain that I supposedly called you a name first is tired, possibly inaccurate, and displays a significant level of fragility on your part.

Your points on me not understanding how government works are not based in reality -- I'll chalk that up to your basic lack of knowledge on anything not related to an 8-block area downtown.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:52 am Sour grapes over the October election results when they’ve been pushing this for 2 years? They were going to investigate this regardless of a red wave. Just as the dems investigated anything and everything to tarnish Trump, the GOP will do the same.
You are losing the plot here. I don't care what the GOP wants to investigate. I just also don't care how Twitter (the thing you were originally upset about) handled this nothing story, and your other contention, that "mainstream media" tried to bury the story, is factually false.
The media treated the Steele dossier as truth. There are still people on the left who didn’t get the memo it was all bullshit.
You understand that the original reporting is still easily available, right? That it's easy to confirm that "the media treated the Steele dossier as truth" is a silly lie? See, e.g., WaPo, CNN, NYT. Even Buzzfeed, in breaking the story, didn't report it "as truth." I don't personally know anybody on "the left" who still puts a ton of stock in, or even really talks at all about (except piss tape jokes), the Steele dossier anymore, but if your "left" friends play as fast and loose as you do with even basic and easily verifiable facts then I guess it is plausible that you know people "on the left" who still believe everything in it is true.
What’s more alarming about that situation was how involved the DNC was. I still can’t believe people didn’t have red flags when the whole Russia pissing thing came about.
I don't really know what you are talking about here. The dossier was oppo research, so of course the DNC was involved. Every campaign collects this kind of research on their opponents. It doesn't usually get leaked to the public like this, but it also doesn't usually include such sensational claims about the president-elect. You can argue about whether or not it was irresponsible or "unfair" or whatever for Buzzfeed to straight up publish the document rather than investigating individual claims and reporting only on the ones it could verify (though, to be clear, I don't particularly care about that argument at this point, six years later), but I'm not sure what was "alarming" about the DNC collecting the information in the first place.
Than again these are the same people who went around the night Trump won with “not my president” signs, so nothing should be shocking from that group.
lol at this characteristic complete lack of self-awareness
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:31 am

You act like I have not mentioned this disengagement idea multiple times on here. In fact, I just mentioned it again yesterday on this very thread.

And you are correct, I do not respect folks such as you for many reasons. But I also do not display the vitriol on here like you do. And your constant refrain that I supposedly called you a name first is tired, possibly inaccurate, and displays a significant level of fragility on your part.

Your points on me not understanding how government works are not based in reality -- I'll chalk that up to your basic lack of knowledge on anything not related to an 8-block area downtown.
We will never know considering you deleted it. Moving on.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:56 am

:) sure...

You're upset about a supposed name I called you -- a name you cannot even recollect.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:45 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:52 am Sour grapes over the October election results when they’ve been pushing this for 2 years? They were going to investigate this regardless of a red wave. Just as the dems investigated anything and everything to tarnish Trump, the GOP will do the same.
You are losing the plot here. I don't care what the GOP wants to investigate. I just also don't care how Twitter (the thing you were originally upset about) handled this nothing story, and your other contention, that "mainstream media" tried to bury the story, is factually false.
The media treated the Steele dossier as truth. There are still people on the left who didn’t get the memo it was all bullshit.
You understand that the original reporting is still easily available, right? That it's easy to confirm that "the media treated the Steele dossier as truth" is a silly lie? See, e.g., WaPo, CNN, NYT. Even Buzzfeed, in breaking the story, didn't report it "as truth." I don't personally know anybody on "the left" who still puts a ton of stock in, or even really talks at all about (except piss tape jokes), the Steele dossier anymore, but if your "left" friends play as fast and loose as you do with even basic and easily verifiable facts then I guess it is plausible that you know people "on the left" who still believe everything in it is true.
What’s more alarming about that situation was how involved the DNC was. I still can’t believe people didn’t have red flags when the whole Russia pissing thing came about.
I don't really know what you are talking about here. The dossier was oppo research, so of course the DNC was involved. Every campaign collects this kind of research on their opponents. It doesn't usually get leaked to the public like this, but it also doesn't usually include such sensational claims about the president-elect. You can argue about whether or not it was irresponsible or "unfair" or whatever for Buzzfeed to straight up publish the document rather than investigating individual claims and reporting only on the ones it could verify (though, to be clear, I don't particularly care about that argument at this point, six years later), but I'm not sure what was "alarming" about the DNC collecting the information in the first place.
Than again these are the same people who went around the night Trump won with “not my president” signs, so nothing should be shocking from that group.
lol at this characteristic complete lack of self-awareness
lol at this complete response.

No, I don't understand that things put on the internet always stay on the internet. News to me, but thank you for the education. You can post all the links you want where they slip in a disclaimer than the information hasn't been verified, we live in a country where the media doesn't need to verify the information for millions of people to believe it. Don't pretend that the left didn't fully buy into it hook line and sinker. You're smart, you know this happened and I'm not sure why you're trying to pretend it didn't. My friends and I on the left don't exactly talk about this, my point is more about the issues with putting out bad information or unverified information. Networks don't circle back and take the same amount of time discussing how it was all crap. So is it really that hard to believe there are millions of left leaning people out there who still think aspects of the steele dossier are true?

What was alarming about the DNC's and the Clinton campaigns involvement would be lengths they were willing to go to pass it off as truth. Crimes were committed pushing this story and funneling false information to the FBI. Opposition research may be standard but accusing a candidate of being a Russian puppet should have been handled with a bit more care. This wasn't your run of the mill presidential election.

And I'm not upset about anything. I brought up twitter to get some fucking conversation going in here and it worked. So thank you.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:05 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:56 am

:) sure...

You're upset about a supposed name I called you -- a name you cannot even recollect.
You just can't quit me can you. You implied I wasn't intelligent and hurled the first stone, now you have the balls to tell someone to not respond to your comments about a topic they originated. You can have the last word. You don't bring anything of value. As much as someone like Phuqueue bashes me, mansplains everything and clearly thinks he's better than me..... I can at least respect his input because it's well thought out and forces me to think. The complete opposite of your posts.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

"My friends and I on the left " hahahhahahhahaha!

"my point is more about the issues with putting out bad information or unverified information"

Did you not just spend 2 pages saying the HB laptop story should have propagated on social media 20 days before the election?
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

what an imbecile

After Twitter users voted to oust Elon Musk as CEO, he wants to change how polls work
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/20/tech/elo ... index.html
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:14 pm No, I don't understand that things put on the internet always stay on the internet. News to me, but thank you for the education. You can post all the links you want where they slip in a disclaimer than the information hasn't been verified, we live in a country where the media doesn't need to verify the information for millions of people to believe it. Don't pretend that the left didn't fully buy into it hook line and sinker. You're smart, you know this happened and I'm not sure why you're trying to pretend it didn't.
"The media treated the Steele dossier as truth" (your previous statement) is not the same thing as "the media reported that the Steele dossier exists but that its claims are unverified, but 'the left' treated it as truth anyway" (apparently your new point). Your first statement was demonstrably false. Your new point, even if accepted as true, just leads to the argument about whether or not it was responsible for Buzzfeed to publish the dossier in the first place, which, again, I'm not really interested in litigating six years later, but your position on the matter is duly noted.
My friends and I on the left don't exactly talk about this, my point is more about the issues with putting out bad information or unverified information.
The irony remains thick.
Networks don't circle back and take the same amount of time discussing how it was all crap. So is it really that hard to believe there are millions of left leaning people out there who still think aspects of the steele dossier are true?
CNN literally did that last year.
What was alarming about the DNC's and the Clinton campaigns involvement would be lengths they were willing to go to pass it off as truth. Crimes were committed pushing this story and funneling false information to the FBI. Opposition research may be standard but accusing a candidate of being a Russian puppet should have been handled with a bit more care. This wasn't your run of the mill presidential election.
What, specifically, do you think the DNC or Clinton campaigns did that was "alarming"?
And I'm not upset about anything. I brought up twitter to get some fucking conversation going in here and it worked. So thank you.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:07 pm "My friends and I on the left " hahahhahahhahaha!

"my point is more about the issues with putting out bad information or unverified information"

Did you not just spend 2 pages saying the HB laptop story should have propagated on social media 20 days before the election?
Yes, the FBI had verified the damn laptop and it’s contents by this point in the election. What are you not understanding here? The steel dossier was not verified and was blasted out into the world and dominated every single news cycle for weeks of not months. We’ve seen the evidence that Twitter and the FBI knew the laptop was real and actively suppressed the information which is certainly a form of election interference. I’ve said this before, I’m glad Trump didn’t win because I don’t think this country could have dealt with 4 more years of him as potus but this is about something more than that. You think the suppression of this story didn’t have an impact on the election?

picture hosting

For transparency the poll was conducted by a right leaning group but they have a A+ polling rating via FiveThirtyEight.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:29 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:14 pm No, I don't understand that things put on the internet always stay on the internet. News to me, but thank you for the education. You can post all the links you want where they slip in a disclaimer than the information hasn't been verified, we live in a country where the media doesn't need to verify the information for millions of people to believe it. Don't pretend that the left didn't fully buy into it hook line and sinker. You're smart, you know this happened and I'm not sure why you're trying to pretend it didn't.
"The media treated the Steele dossier as truth" (your previous statement) is not the same thing as "the media reported that the Steele dossier exists but that its claims are unverified, but 'the left' treated it as truth anyway" (apparently your new point). Your first statement was demonstrably false. Your new point, even if accepted as true, just leads to the argument about whether or not it was responsible for Buzzfeed to publish the dossier in the first place, which, again, I'm not really interested in litigating six years later, but your position on the matter is duly noted.
My friends and I on the left don't exactly talk about this, my point is more about the issues with putting out bad information or unverified information.
The irony remains thick.
Networks don't circle back and take the same amount of time discussing how it was all crap. So is it really that hard to believe there are millions of left leaning people out there who still think aspects of the steele dossier are true?
What, specifically, do you think the DNC or Clinton campaigns did that was "alarming"?
I’m sure CNN covered this during prime time viewing right? Surely this article that very few read wasn’t the only correction? The damage was done but good on them for offering more details on how and why they were spoofed.

As for what the Clinton campaign did. From the very article you shared.
“While Steele was passing his tips onto the FBI in fall 2016, a Clinton campaign lawyer separately met with a senior FBI official and gave him information about strange cyberactivity between servers at the Trump Organization and Alfa Bank, the largest private bank in Russia.

The lawyer, Michael Sussmann, has since been charged with lying to the FBI during that meeting, for allegedly saying he wasn’t providing the dirt on behalf of any client, even though he ultimately billed that time to the Clinton campaign, and also billed them for other work he did on the server issue. Durham says Sussmann repeated this lie during a meeting with CIA officials in February 2017, where he told them about the server theory. Sussmann has pleaded not guilty.”

One of many examples.

And if your irony comments are specifically aimed at me. Acting “fast and loose” in a little forum as a private citizen isn’t comparable to how the media acted with the steel dossier. I’m not a journalist, lobbyist or anyone remotely important in the world of politics. I come here to get my kicks and annoy a few people while I’m at it. I’m not going to back up every opinion with references and sources. I owe no one that responsibility. I fully understand I’m talking to a bunch of people that will never agree with me publicly not because some of what I say isn’t right, but because you all have no humility and admitting your wrong about something literally isn’t in your capabilities. These conversations are fun for me. Except the ones with Link2, those are like talking to a 90 year old man with hard bearing.

The few people on here who do agree with me are smart enough to not get involved. I don’t blame them.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:57 pm
grovester wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:07 pm "My friends and I on the left " hahahhahahhahaha!

Yes, the FBI had verified the damn laptop and it’s contents by this point in the election. What are you not understanding here? The steel dossier was not verified and was blasted out into the world and dominated every single news cycle for weeks of not months. We’ve seen the evidence that Twitter and the FBI knew the laptop was real and actively suppressed the information which is certainly a form of election interference. I’ve said this before, I’m glad Trump didn’t win because I don’t think this country could have dealt with 4 more years of him as potus but this is about something more than that. You think the suppression of this story didn’t have an impact on the election?

picture hosting

For transparency the poll was conducted by a right leaning group but they have a A+ polling rating via FiveThirtyEight.
You keep conflating "verified that it was Hunter's laptop" with
"Verified all the data on the laptop/hard drive".

It was an unknown quantity of questionable origin at the time of the release and correctly treated as such.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:14 pm
phuqueue wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:29 pm
The irony remains thick.
I’m sure CNN covered this during prime time viewing right? Surely this article that very few read wasn’t the only correction? The damage was done but good on them for offering more details on how and why they were spoofed.

As for what the Clinton campaign did. From the very article you shared.
“While Steele was passing his tips onto the FBI in fall 2016, a Clinton campaign lawyer separately met with a senior FBI official and gave him information about strange cyberactivity between servers at the Trump Organization and Alfa Bank, the largest private bank in Russia.

The lawyer, Michael Sussmann, has since been charged with lying to the FBI during that meeting, for allegedly saying he wasn’t providing the dirt on behalf of any client, even though he ultimately billed that time to the Clinton campaign, and also billed them for other work he did on the server issue. Durham says Sussmann repeated this lie during a meeting with CIA officials in February 2017, where he told them about the server theory. Sussmann has pleaded not guilty.”

One of many examples.

And if your irony comments are specifically aimed at me. Acting “fast and loose” in a little forum as a private citizen isn’t comparable to how the media acted with the steel dossier. I’m not a journalist, lobbyist or anyone remotely important in the world of politics. I come here to get my kicks and annoy a few people while I’m at it. I’m not going to back up every opinion with references and sources. I owe no one that responsibility. I fully understand I’m talking to a bunch of people that will never agree with me publicly not because some of what I say isn’t right, but because you all have no humility and admitting your wrong about something literally isn’t in your capabilities. These conversations are fun for me. Except the ones with Link2, those are like talking to a 90 year old man with hard bearing.

The few people on here who do agree with me are smart enough to not get involved. I don’t blame them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Sussmann

"On May 31, 2022, after hearing two weeks of testimony, the jury quickly and unanimously acquitted Sussmann"

edit: can't believe anyone would cite the Durham investigation, another nothing burger!