OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I'm fully anticipating a few house Friday and probably well before gametime. I plan to get there early for sure.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

That was really cool publicity they showed on TV for the game today. They showed it like 5 times. Also flashed over to DC's watch party.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:04 pm Image
Can’t wait to see this exact perspective in 10/15 years
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

These photos are amazing. I need to dig out my photos of the south side of downtown from the 90's for comparison.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Imagine this photo with 4L, 5L, Strata (or Cordish office tower), mid rise project on Calvery lot and the cap.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:07 pm Imagine this photo with 4L, 5L, Strata (or Cordish office tower), mid rise project on Calvery lot and the cap.
I can imagine it with 4 Light and Strata. The mid-rise on the Calverts parcel will likely be blocked by 3 Light, but the one across the street will definitely show up. The cap will barely show up when all is said and done, and that's a good thing from this angle. 5 Light I'm curious about but wish not to start a discussion here about it. I'll just go find a thread about it.

This view will have Lux's Freight House and Wonderland buildings, Copaken's 1822 Main building, and barely Helzberg's two buildings at 17th and Central, so that's a plus.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:13 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:07 pm Imagine this photo with 4L, 5L, Strata (or Cordish office tower), mid rise project on Calvery lot and the cap.
I can imagine it with 4 Light and Strata. The mid-rise on the Calverts parcel will likely be blocked by 3 Light, but the one across the street will definitely show up. The cap will barely show up when all is said and done, and that's a good thing from this angle. 5 Light I'm curious about but wish not to start a discussion here about it. I'll just go find a thread about it.

This view will have Lux's Freight House and Wonderland buildings, Copaken's 1822 Main building, and barely Helzberg's two buildings at 17th and Central, so that's a plus.
Plus the Ferris Wheel at Pennway and (maybe) some development around the PAC
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^I forgot the "big boy" of the group. It's under the radar, os even though I know about it, I forget about it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:25 pm

Penway park is still happening? Haven’t heard anything about it for a long time.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:51 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:25 pm

Penway park is still happening? Haven’t heard anything about it for a long time.
The ferris wheel permits were filed earlier in the month.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Nice!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Went to Johnny's over the weekend and walked a friend down to their car in the garage afterwards. That entrance off of Grand going down to the garage was a filthy mess of trash and probably had 8 homeless people in there blocking the way down the stairs. Pretty surprised Cordish lets that happen.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:28 pm Went to Johnny's over the weekend and walked a friend down to their car in the garage afterwards. That entrance off of Grand going down to the garage was a filthy mess of trash and probably had 8 homeless people in there blocking the way down the stairs. Pretty surprised Cordish lets that happen.
What day and what time?

They're constantly dealing with homeless people finding any knock to keep warm. Not much more they can do about that. City wide issue this time of year.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Saturday afternoon. There was definitely more trash in that stairwell than what was created in a short amount of time. Totally understand struggles with homelessness and very sympathetic to the situation (on both sides), I was surprised Cordish seems to be letting it go to have that level of garbage in there.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:21 pm Saturday afternoon. There was definitely more trash in that stairwell than what was created in a short amount of time. Totally understand struggles with homelessness and very sympathetic to the situation (on both sides), I was surprised Cordish seems to be letting it go to have that level of garbage in there.
They had 10,000 people there at 7am Saturday for the World Cup. This is why I asked because that's not normal but makes sense considering how trashed the entire block gets after major events. Combine that with a short staff and the parking garage entrance probably wasn't a top priority.

Cordish keeps the entire district very clean, so this had to be an exception.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the trash in that stairwell was not from world cup fans. I've been around downtown enough to tell the difference between fan trash and homeless caches.

Agreed they typically keep it very clean and tend to actively keep loitering type of activities down which was the nexus of my surprise in the situation. My friend had joked with me to be prepared for it as they had seen the same hours before when they arrived.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:36 pm the trash in that stairwell was not from world cup fans. I've been around downtown enough to tell the difference between fan trash and homeless caches.

Agreed they typically keep it very clean and tend to actively keep loitering type of activities down which was the nexus of my surprise in the situation. My friend had joked with me to be prepared for it as they had seen the same hours before when they arrived.
816-777-9876 - PNL Public Safety incase you ever see homeless hanging somewhere. I call or text them weekly when I see suspicious activity.

My favorite is when I call them, they show up to deal with someone and ask them to leave the property. Person says they're on the sidewalk which is public property and Public Safety tells them the sidewalks in PNL are in fact private property. They argue, the police arrive and said person goes to jail while screaming, "but my rights". Classic.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

bummer to hear this but typical cat & mouse game that goes on with the homeless folks this time of year. They go wherever they know they can and or see an opportunity. Most likely P&L with events and such the past few weeks have dedicated resources to some other areas and these folks saw an opening and infiltrated.

I'm sure with some more visible presence and going through to clean things and bounce them out the issues will go away, or rather the issue will be simply moved to another part of town.

The increase in large homeless camps and general vagabonds in KCMO metro wide is a bit concerning. Obviously there are a lot of bigger picture issues at play when you see this increase and COVID for 2 yrs created an environment where public spaces were not being used by the public and some places are still slow to respond. Thus a void was created and they filled the void so to speak.

Not sure what can be done. Would love to see them be able to get jobs and secure places to live and get life going again but a lot of homeless ppl deal with substance abuse, mental health issues, or just a life where they prefer to live as such or refuse help. IDK, no real easy answers. But it is an issue in the US that continues to get bigger
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Def a major issue and complicated to fix. The vast majority of homeless I see are very clearly suffering from mental issues or drug issues.