Urban Living Pet Peeves

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Urban Living Pet Peeves

Post by FlippantCitizen »

As someone who rides a motorcycle, I don't like the look of those things, especially if they are wet.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

BUILD. A. MEDIAN!!!!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:21 pm BUILD. A. MEDIAN!!!!
You stop it with that common sense.

Realistically though, you don’t want to be putting in hard infrastructure like that, that’ll require concrete pours, while it’s going into winter. Id imagine they’re pursuing something along those lines for the future though
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:07 am
You stop it with that common sense.

Realistically though, you don’t want to be putting in hard infrastructure like that, that’ll require concrete pours, while it’s going into winter. Id imagine they’re pursuing something along those lines for the future though
If done right, medians can add a lot of value to the neighborhood experience. Add some trees and greenery.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Buhbuhbut what about events on Grand...
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I live on a blvd with medians. They still do their thing at the intersections where there is no median.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

moderne wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:43 pm I live on a blvd with medians. They still do their thing at the intersections where there is no median.
Round-a-bouts it is
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Pet Peeve: How is there not a Mens Warehouse closer to downtown? It's pretty frustrating having to drive 25+ minutes out south each time I have a wedding.

Feel like this would make sense in P&L or the Plaza. Especially because it would make it easier for the out of town attendees to return their stuff (since they are likely staying in one of those areas)
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:39 am Pet Peeve: How is there not a Mens Warehouse closer to downtown? It's pretty frustrating having to drive 25+ minutes out south each time I have a wedding.

Feel like this would make sense in P&L or the Plaza. Especially because it would make it easier for the out of town attendees to return their stuff (since they are likely staying in one of those areas)
You have Michaels fine clothing on main.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

I had a suit made at Houndstooth in River Market. Pricey proposition but it was worth the splurge and I look 10 times better in it than the previous off the rack suit I had.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Yeah those work if I'm buying something for myself. But if you're in the wedding party, you need to rent the tux/suit to match the group. All 5 I've been in over the past two years have been Mens Warehouse for group convenience. Maybe just a personal problem, but wish they weren't all out in the burbs.

Been looking at Houndstooth. Seems like a really neat spot. Related: Does anyone have a tailor downtown they recommend?
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:05 pm Yeah those work if I'm buying something for myself. But if you're in the wedding party, you need to rent the tux/suit to match the group. All 5 I've been in over the past two years have been Mens Warehouse for group convenience. Maybe just a personal problem, but wish they weren't all out in the burbs.

Been looking at Houndstooth. Seems like a really neat spot. Related: Does anyone have a tailor downtown they recommend?
Oh yeah, got it. The only wedding where I've been in the party all just talked about what we wanted/planned to wear to made sure nothing was majorly clashing and basically all wore the best suit we had. Ooof being in five wedding parties in two years. Honestly that sounds brutal.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:18 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:05 pm Yeah those work if I'm buying something for myself. But if you're in the wedding party, you need to rent the tux/suit to match the group. All 5 I've been in over the past two years have been Mens Warehouse for group convenience. Maybe just a personal problem, but wish they weren't all out in the burbs.

Oh yeah, got it. The only wedding where I've been in the party all just talked about what we wanted/planned to wear to made sure nothing was majorly clashing and basically all wore the best suit we had. Ooof being in five wedding parties in two years. Honestly that sounds brutal.
Welcome to your mid 20's when you went to school in the south... Honored to be in them, but it gets expensive man.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i think jeffrey at houndstooth prefers to only handle tailoring for stuff bought there, but that may have changed. their OG tailor lorenzo who was the fucking best passed away fairly recently. i don't know who jeff brought in to replace him and those were big shoes to fill but jeff's got an excellent eye for this stuff and i'd trust his judgment as much as pretty much anyone.

i've also had a good experience at michael's again for stuff bought there. lately i have been sourcing items from out of town and idk why it feels weird to take those to a retailer but it does to me, so i take them to lucia's behind the polsinelli building on the plaza. i have been very happy with nataliya's work and her prices are fair in my experience/ for what i need done. as far as other options in actual downtown, i have heard good things about slabotsky's but no personal experience.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I’ve always had success with Slabotsky’s.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:34 pm Welcome to your mid 20's when you went to school in the south... Honored to be in them, but it gets expensive man.
Haha I could see that, I went to school in the New York and it is considered non normative to be married before about age 30. I eloped courthouse in Manhattan and got married the week after my wife graduated which was considered absolutely crazy by our friends. Just a couple high school buddies of mine have been married so far.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

+1 for the Houndstooth recs, and I would add that you don't have to go with a custom suit there either - the off-the-rack suits, after tailoring (obviously included), are pretty high quality with a good fit, at least for me. Still a little pricey but reasonable for the quality and service IMO. I have two, including my wedding suit and along with some cool accessories.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Ok total first world problem but here's another pet peeve - how is there not an amazon locker in the river market/CBD/Crossroads? There is one at the Westside Royal but that's not super walkable when it is so cold.

It looks like there is one by ACI, and of course the whole foods as well so this problem goes away in 2025... Still, for how many things you just have to order online when you live downtown, you would think it would be easier to return items.

Edit: Looks like there's a UPS in Pickwick Plaza so that's not too bad
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:56 am Ok total first world problem but here's another pet peeve - how is there not an amazon locker in the river market/CBD/Crossroads? There is one at the Westside Royal but that's not super walkable when it is so cold.

It looks like there is one by ACI, and of course the whole foods as well so this problem goes away in 2025... Still, for how many things you just have to order online when you live downtown, you would think it would be easier to return items.
There has to be a smaller vacant building or retail space that could have something like this added. And maybe one of those Amazon go stores could be added in considering how dense the neighborhood will get in the coming years and how a true, quick, 24-hour convenience store in the neighborhood is non-existent (except for that crap gas station on the other side of 70 on Grand or Wyandotte).

City Harvest, Oaks/Ashland, 413, and 3rd and Grand will add over 650 residential units in the coming years and truly densify the neighborhood to another level. At some point, you would need a 24 hour convenience store (of quality) and an Amazon Locker to serve the residents. Preferably, place it along the streetcar line late night riders (before service ends of course and early morning riders can stop by and get some items and drop off/pickup a package.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:03 am
Cratedigger wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:56 am Ok total first world problem but here's another pet peeve - how is there not an amazon locker in the river market/CBD/Crossroads? There is one at the Westside Royal but that's not super walkable when it is so cold.

There has to be a smaller vacant building or retail space that could have something like this added. And maybe one of those Amazon go stores could be added in considering how dense the neighborhood will get in the coming years and how a true, quick, 24-hour convenience store in the neighborhood is non-existent (except for that crap gas station on the other side of 70 on Grand or Wyandotte).

City Harvest, Oaks/Ashland, 413, and 3rd and Grand will add over 650 residential units in the coming years and truly densify the neighborhood to another level. At some point, you would need a 24 hour convenience store (of quality) and an Amazon Locker to serve the residents. Preferably, place it along the streetcar line late night riders (before service ends of course and early morning riders can stop by and get some items and drop off/pickup a package.
One of the retail bays on the back side of Midland could work maybe?