OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by daGOAT »

Would b cool if the ferris wheel had a LED light show like the one on Santa Monica Pier!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

daGOAT wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:12 pm Would b cool if the ferris wheel had a LED light show like the one on Santa Monica Pier!
IT will look like this

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I worry about the pedestrian experience between three big family attractions -- Pennway Point, Union Station, and Crown Center.

Pershing needs a road diet, at minimum, and dramatically improved pedestrian crossings.

No more skywalks or tubes.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Skywalks not going away. They are a major factor in the Crown Center hotels winter business. There are quite a few regional groups that use the hotels and exhibit space in January and February for the winter rates and chose over other locations because they can bring spouses and kids to have lots of things to do and nobody has to bundle up and go out into the sub zero weather.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

moderne wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:34 pm Skywalks not going away. They are a major factor in the Crown Center hotels winter business. There are quite a few regional groups that use the hotels and exhibit space in January and February for the winter rates and chose over other locations because they can bring spouses and kids to have lots of things to do and nobody has to bundle up and go out into the sub zero weather.
I don’t think his point was to get rid of the ones that exist, I think it was more so don’t flesh out anymore
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

im usually a cheerleader for just about anything KC wants to build but this seriously sucks in every imaginable way. i hope this project fails to get off the ground... i mean, half of your ferris wheel experience will be viewing an underpass and the other half is watching traffic go by with one of the worst views possible of the city.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Completely disagree. This is a cool activation of an area in an awkward spot. Helps make it a better experience to walk to Boulevard from Union Station and that last streetcar stop.
As for the view, do you mean looking out west? During the day you’ll likely get a view of the Kansas River that few get to see right now. Plus the sunset of course.

Will be a very neat, visible landmark for those coming downtown via 35 or SW Trafficway.

Beyond the Ferris Wheel, the other pieces of this project seem very cool. I’m very excited about the Lumi. I expect it to be an Instagram favorite
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

mister816 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:24 pm im usually a cheerleader for just about anything KC wants to build but this seriously sucks in every imaginable way. i hope this project fails to get off the ground... i mean, half of your ferris wheel experience will be viewing an underpass and the other half is watching traffic go by with one of the worst views possible of the city.
Man, mostly couples on dates will be riding this thing and they won’t care about the view.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

My only concern with the ferris wheel in this spot is that in the future when we actually have a really great spot for something like this, they won't put a wheel there because "we already have one!" and we'll be stuck with the mediocre spot.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mister816 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:24 pm im usually a cheerleader for just about anything KC wants to build but this seriously sucks in every imaginable way. i hope this project fails to get off the ground... i mean, half of your ferris wheel experience will be viewing an underpass and the other half is watching traffic go by with one of the worst views possible of the city.
I thought about that too, but then I realized that it seems like any city that has a Ferris wheel is pretty much the same. They are all in odd locations with terrible views for the most part. My big issue with this project is figuring out a way to make it more walkable to Main Street and other parts of the Crossroads. Everybody is going to drive to this place.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

The views will be insane from the top, similar to driving north on the 35 which makes the city look larger. Honestly, I agree with a Pershing road diet, Broadway should def have a similar treatment, add in the Greenline and Pennway Point will feel more connected to the downtown fabric. Obviously, this is far from the most meaningful project underway, but it is solid and will be a welcome addition to the city!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:06 pm My only concern with the ferris wheel in this spot is that in the future when we actually have a really great spot for something like this, they won't put a wheel there because "we already have one!" and we'll be stuck with the mediocre spot.
ok
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

What location is better for a ferris wheel but doesn't have a higher/better use?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

^the South Loop cap or north loop when closed. I don't know if there'd be weight issues on the cap but that's the type of spot that would be much better suited for a wheel than crammed in the back corner
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:57 am ^the South Loop cap
would there even be a view? if you can build commercial over the cap would rather build an apartment tower
UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:57 am north loop when closed.
Could be never tbh. Would have a higher and better use then Ferris wheel if it did close
Last edited by normalthings on Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Washington Square Park would have been a good choice
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

daGOAT wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:35 am Washington Square Park would have been a good choice
Don't think a private group can operate a commercial facility at a park and directly north parcels will be developed eventually blocking the view.

Pennway Point is one of if not the best sites for a ferriswheel that doesn't get obstructed by future developed and doesn't take a site that could be used for something better.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:40 am
daGOAT wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:35 am Washington Square Park would have been a good choice
Don't think a private group can operate a commercial facility at a park
KC Parks needs to be open to changing this. Could both activate some dead parks + provide an additional revenue stream for an underfunded agency
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The view point will only be slightly different than that of the Liberty Memorial tower. Would have liked somewhere with a completely different vantage.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

River market would provide interesting views. Seattle has a ferris wheel on a pier near pike place market.