World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I don't see why they'd need to drive 40 mins to Lawrence just use a football stadium for practice. There are plenty of viable spots much closer.

I heard they might use the Blue Valley complex on 135th
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

kboish wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:40 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:35 pm From the FIFA 2026 Bid Book.

The original bid had these sites listed as the training sites. I still think KU got got floated to replace one of these
KC's final bid included five MO sites and three KS sites as potential training locations:
  • University of Kansas Health System Training Complex (Chiefs; KCMO)
    Sporting Kansas City II Training Center (Swope Park; KCMO)
    KC Current Training Facility (Riverside)
    Park University (Parkville)
    Missouri Western State University (St. Joseph)
  • Children's Mercy Park (KCK)
    Compass Minerals National Performance Center (KCK)
    Rock Chalk Park (Lawrence)
I believe they are also considering the new Current stadium in Berkley Riverfront.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KC Current would be so ideal for a training spot. Brand new, on the river, downtown, would be awesome. Way better than something far out.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

So are we to assume the Intercontinental will be renovated given it's designation as a team hotel? The last I heard the hotel was trying to get subsidies for much of the work instead of relying solely on money from IHG/Holiday Inn group.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

kcjak wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:29 am So are we to assume the Intercontinental will be renovated given it's designation as a team hotel? The last I heard the hotel was trying to get subsidies for much of the work instead of relying solely on money from IHG/Holiday Inn group.
So much has changed with the bid since KC began this pursuit seven years ago -- you can disregard those hotel assignments listed above. FIFA is actively working to identify respective hotels for specific core groups - including teams.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Amazed to see that a rail investment is being considered for World Cup!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:17 pm Amazed to see that a rail investment is being considered for World Cup!
For airport or to the stadiums?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'm interested in hearing more about the regional hub-and-spoke transit plan where transportation options from surrounding regional cities will bring fans to KC. Tickets are available to anyone IN THE WORLD, correct? I'm not understanding how there will be a significant enough number of fans are allocated tickets from somewhere like Tulsa that warrants a bus package. Are we to assume the KC team will put together packages for things like the fan experience, designated watch area on a big screen, motel room in the boonies (with bus transportation to the central city) and charge a premium?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I read this too and didn't really understand it without more details. Basically a park and ride from various regional cities to meet somewhere in KC, then they can jump on a local shuttle to take them to the stadium, hotels, DT, etc?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I don't know how these will work but international events are fun! I've been to a few Copa Americas and only rarely gone to actual games.

The fun part is everyone flooding in to just hang out. It's often just as much fun being around the city. There's not a game every day in that city so you have fan fests to all get together and watch the other ones and drink and eat.

I bet a lot of those cities have people with friends that live in KC or close by. There will be people flooding in and out and whatever we can do to help it we should.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I already know friends who did not grow up in KC and now live in Chicago, Nashville and Denver who will be coming in for the event. Plus a good amount of people that grew up here but now live on the coasts coming back to experience.

Anecdotal sure, but I can't imagine it's far from the norm. Seeing the city bustling will be huge
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:50 am I read this too and didn't really understand it without more details. Basically a park and ride from various regional cities to meet somewhere in KC, then they can jump on a local shuttle to take them to the stadium, hotels, DT, etc?
I wouldn't call this a park-and-ride. It's really just more intercity service (think Greyhound/Amtrak) to get people here from farther afield. It's technically transit (people on buses), but not what you'd normally expect for a "transit system". The biggest risk right now is having enough staff to operate the service to get people around our metro during these events, not to get here from 200-500 miles away.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Dave I know you know Amtrak better than most. Do you anticipate any change in that service?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KC isn't the only city that's rushing a highway cap project for the 2026 World Cup -- Philly is also doing the same. It's even larger than ours.

There are some interesting infra projects churning out in the World Cup cities that are being rushed.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Anybody hear about a movement to strip world cup events from states that have outlawed abortion?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Director of the KC2026 FIFA World Cup Bid Katherine Holland, KC Sports Commission and Foundation President & CEO Kathy Nelson and Executive Vice President of Arrowhead Operations Matt Kenny will be in Qatar to prep for the World Cup
The three-day itinerary will be jam packed. They’ll get a behind the scenes look at safety and security protocols, the stadium, transportation, and how a FIFA fan fest is operated.

“When I say they’ve got us programmed literally in half hour-to-hour increments for three days straight, it is a very intense, behind the scenes look at pretty much everything we need to consider that goes into producing and hosting this event,” Holland said.

The delegation will be paying very close attention to the transportation system. Kansas City is contractually obligated to have a free and dedicated World Cup transit system.

Leaders are exploring two ideas including multi-modal transportation with various hubs around the metro and a long-distance park and ride for visitors from nearby states.
Another delegation from the city will focus on the early phases of the World Cup. Holland’s team will see the later matches.

When the delegations get back, they’ll debrief on the experience and share their findings. The idea is to have organizers begin the core planning process in early 2023.
https://www.kshb.com/sports/world-cup/k ... -world-cup
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCADC Head also in Qatar
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The world cup will be a national special security event which means the secret service will lead the security.

Fan fests will be very different than in Qatar.

They can learn a lot by watching though. The feds will help out a lot though. For sure transit and what it looks like when you have a lot us people descend on a city.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

moderne wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:14 pm Anybody hear about a movement to strip world cup events from states that have outlawed abortion?
It’s a bunch of nobody’s on Twitter calling for it that I’ve seen. Given the WC is literally in Qatar this year, so I doubt anyone actually cares..