OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by KCKev »

Yes. It has begun. Anyone get video? Saw a 51 sec video via Twitter compliments of fox 4.
https://twitter.com/MoDOT_KC/status/150 ... rAQvwSqfnw
Last edited by KCKev on Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:57 pm The i35 overpass was imploded? last night
https://twitter.com/MoDOT_KC/status/150 ... JM2zeIW3dw
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Am I missing something actually happening in that video
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

KCKev wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:52 pm Yes. It has begun. Anyone get video? Saw a 51 sec video via Twitter compliments of fox 4.
https://twitter.com/MoDOT_KC/status/150 ... rAQvwSqfnw
Implosion here
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If you want to see the construction go down woods weather. Can see their progress great from there
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

What a shock motoring east across the Lewis & Clark viaduct. A huge scar below Case park of bare smooth rock. DT appears to be sitting on a stone escarpment.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

City council approved spending $300,000.00 of state money to study turning bridge into park looking at liability of city owning the structure and its current condition and costs for securing it and maintaining it.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Road deck girders being laid on southbound flyover to 35.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not looking good for current bridge

https://twitter.com/FlatlandKC/status/1 ... JiJQw&s=19
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

That's a bummer but I think the money would be better used elsewhere.

I hope one day though, the Railroads and the Airport are cooperative with the city. Was frustrating to see this quote:
But Vasquez said a previously unknown MoDOT commitment to the railroads has further complicated the proposal.

“The railroads want the piers removed under the approach to the bridge, before the arches begin,” he said. “It was commitment made by MoDOT as part of the new bridge plan to remove them.”
Then it's my understanding that the new bridge is so boring because of the airport. If the bridge had any height like the Bond bridge, it would run afoul with FAA regulations. Any decorative lights and it could potentially be confused as a runway by pilots.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The study was just wasted money. If it was already a fact that the north arch of the old bridge had to be removed to build the approach to the new bridge did not need to spend all those funds for nothing. A dead end bridge that goes nowhere wouldn't even count as pedestrian infrastructure. Wonder if one of the arches could be disassembled and erected in PVP to make a ped/bike bridge over Broadway from Pioneer Mother to the Scout?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

moderne wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:12 pm The study was just wasted money. If it was already a fact that the north arch of the old bridge had to be removed to build the approach to the new bridge did not need to spend all those funds for nothing. A dead end bridge that goes nowhere wouldn't even count as pedestrian infrastructure. Wonder if one of the arches could be disassembled and erected in PVP to make a ped/bike bridge over Broadway from Pioneer Mother to the Scout?
Good idea. Buck might be too big to move like that but there are old bridges that get repurposed all the time. I like it.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:29 pm
moderne wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:12 pm The study was just wasted money. If it was already a fact that the north arch of the old bridge had to be removed to build the approach to the new bridge did not need to spend all those funds for nothing. A dead end bridge that goes nowhere wouldn't even count as pedestrian infrastructure. Wonder if one of the arches could be disassembled and erected in PVP to make a ped/bike bridge over Broadway from Pioneer Mother to the Scout?
Good idea. Buck might be too big to move like that but there are old bridges that get repurposed all the time. I like it.
Like the Haverty Truss Bridge at Union Station
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

o
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:31 pm That's a bummer but I think the money would be better used elsewhere.

I hope one day though, the Railroads and the Airport are cooperative with the city. Was frustrating to see this quote:
But Vasquez said a previously unknown MoDOT commitment to the railroads has further complicated the proposal.

“The railroads want the piers removed under the approach to the bridge, before the arches begin,” he said. “It was commitment made by MoDOT as part of the new bridge plan to remove them.”
Then it's my understanding that the new bridge is so boring because of the airport. If the bridge had any height like the Bond bridge, it would run afoul with FAA regulations. Any decorative lights and it could potentially be confused as a runway by pilots.
Does the removal of the piers allow at for a Hannibal bridge replacement?

Removing large chunks of Broadway Bridge was known before this report so not too surprising. It was never going to make sense to renovate this.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

MoDot sucks.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:36 pm MoDot sucks.
Need to bulldoze span’s off the bridge was already known but maybe not to this total extent. Sounds like this might allow for a new Hannibal bridge to the west. That would be amazing if we can open up that area north of Market station for rec or development,
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

MODOT has added a new cam on the north side of the river that gives a really good view of the new bridge and approaches.
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

moderne wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:16 pm MODOT has added a new cam on the north side of the river that gives a really good view of the new bridge and approaches.
Just looked at the webcam :shock: . with all those piers it's looking like one of those ugly 1950s era highway viaducts. what a shame
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What happened to the money the city gave to make this a “more iconic bridge” and why did we give a dime?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

This bridge is going to be very unappealing in terms of design. I understand a lot of it has to do with building requirements of FAA & airport. Rest is at the hands of MODOT & politicians basically wanting to get it done to serve a function not be functional as well as have a nice design. It’s going to be HOA part 2.

Basically is what it is now. Boring, bland, & opportunity missed. I just hope it functions as intended & provides some congestion improvements