GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Link2 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:53 pm
Link2 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:52 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:41 pm
And the concert downtown, Lizzo I believe, pretty big regional draw across 4 days, but yes, we 100% need more rooms, and fast
KC was awarded the bid based on the current number of hotel rooms with future development factored in. Once again, KC has enough rooms here (36,000+) and regionwide (19,000+ more) to accommodate the event.
I’m aware that we have enough rooms per the required standard from FIFA, but that doesn’t mean building more would hurt either.
Absolutely, and more will be built prior to the event of course. Bills fans certainly travel well and occupied a good amount of rooms this weekend, but nowhere close to 100% occupancy across any geographic submarkets. People may not comprehend how truly region-wide the WC will be. They'll be utilizing rooms throughout the region.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Don't forget AirBNB as well. Would imagine that stock jumps for WC.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

earthling wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:51 pm ^Don't forget AirBNB as well. Would imagine that stock jumps for WC.
^Very good point. The STR market continues its rapid growth around much of the country. KCMO has seen a 215% increase in STR supply over the past five years -- and this figure only includes those listed on either Airbnb or Vrbo. The market supply fell during covid (of course) -- but it's already up 20%+ over pre-covid supply figures.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I'm asking for a subscription to the KCBJ for Xmas, so bear with me. Can someone shed some light on the article in the BJ about the Sporting exec that "built a kitty" in the sports betting world to lure the Chiefs over to the Kansas side, please and thank you?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

atticus23 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:06 am I'm asking for a subscription to the KCBJ for Xmas, so bear with me. Can someone shed some light on the article in the BJ about the Sporting exec that "built a kitty" in the sports betting world to lure the Chiefs over to the Kansas side, please and thank you?
The details are really more in this NY Times report
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/20/busi ... ansas.html

Basically the article is an in-depth reporting on the role of lobbyists in crafting the Kansas sports betting bill this year.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:18 am
atticus23 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:06 am I'm asking for a subscription to the KCBJ for Xmas, so bear with me. Can someone shed some light on the article in the BJ about the Sporting exec that "built a kitty" in the sports betting world to lure the Chiefs over to the Kansas side, please and thank you?
The details are really more in this NY Times report
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/20/busi ... ansas.html

Basically the article is an in-depth reporting on the role of lobbyists in crafting the Kansas sports betting bill this year.
Thank you!
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It's possible the Sporting exec wanted the Chiefs at the Legends, but I think it's more likely he wanted those funds available for Sporting. They can be used for stadium expansion.

I think this makes it likely that KS covers a big portion of expansion for SKC and they stay out there long term.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

No plans any longer for expansion. Time's change.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

No current active plans for expansion/renovation. It's not really needed right now, but I think in a few years it will be.

Will they consider a new stadium in the city? I think a portion of the ownership wants to be Downtown, but if KS has a big pot of money from sports betting just waiting to be used for stadium expansion, they will take advantage of it.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Nobody’s gonna give a shit about Kansas sports in 10 years when Royals & Current are downtown and thriving. It was cool in 2008 when they decided to build there but that’s not gonna be the future.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:31 am No current active plans for expansion/renovation. It's not really needed right now, but I think in a few years it will be.

Will they consider a new stadium in the city? I think a portion of the ownership wants to be Downtown, but if KS has a big pot of money from sports betting just waiting to be used for stadium expansion, they will take advantage of it.
The Cerner situation out there should tell you everything you need to know about how much longer SKC will be out in KCK.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:31 am No current active plans for expansion/renovation. It's not really needed right now, but I think in a few years it will be.

They very much want to be downtown or in “the city”. Will be interesting to see what they’d suggest doing with Childrens Mercy. It was built to hold concert rigging.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:04 pm

They very much want to be downtown or in “the city”. Will be interesting to see what they’d suggest doing with Childrens Mercy. It was built to hold concert rigging.
I went to Farm Aid in 2011 out there. It was a good experience!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Ran across the renderings for the new Rams stadium in St Louis. Something like this could be an asset for downtown KC if we could figure out how parking/transportation

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^Even when that was a real pitch several years ago, I was never for it because of the sea of parking and the demolition of the last few near north riverfront buildings that, at the time, were capable of being redeveloped.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Looks like they basically lifted the stadium on stilts and built water retaining walls since it's on the river and could flood. Definitely not prone to any walkability. Can't imagine all of Arrowhead fans parking in one garage and all being forced through 1 or 2 thirty-foot-wide bridges. That'd be an absolute disaster!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

That already looks better than anything you could put at TSC and StL doesn't even have that good of a skyline. And yet that's still better stadium setup.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:58 pm Looks like they basically lifted the stadium on stilts and built water retaining walls since it's on the river and could flood. Definitely not prone to any walkability. Can't imagine all of Arrowhead fans parking in one garage and all being forced through 1 or 2 thirty-foot-wide bridges. That'd be an absolute disaster!
Surroundings bad but the stadium itself I am a fan of
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:13 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:58 pm Looks like they basically lifted the stadium on stilts and built water retaining walls since it's on the river and could flood. Definitely not prone to any walkability. Can't imagine all of Arrowhead fans parking in one garage and all being forced through 1 or 2 thirty-foot-wide bridges. That'd be an absolute disaster!
Surroundings bad but the stadium itself I am a fan of
I like the angular roof design and the overall seating layout, not a fan of much else. It does look like the entire top section is supported by supports which would probably make them aluminum vs. concrete due to the weight difference. Definitely hate that. I've been to the "new" Mile High and most all of the stands are aluminum. It feels so much cheaper than Arrowhead. I'd imagine it doesn't wear or last as long either. The outside of the design seems to turn its back to the world with very little interesting design. I'd hope that wouldn't be the case if we build a new Arrowhead. It needs to show well from the parking lot.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

It would have been a "less close to the sun" version of Levi's Stadium. Pass.