Downtown KCK

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Downtown KCK

Post by Cratedigger »

Wow! What a neat surprise to wake up to this morning.

Former 7-story UMB Bank tower in downtown KCK may see new life as apartments, office

Veritas and BellaCore Developments, also based in Kansas City, Kansas, aim to remake the building a mixed-use project with 15,000 square feet of commercial and office on the first two floors. On floors three through seven, they would put in 25 one- and two-bedroom apartments.

The now vacant tower was built in 1925, and the developers want to restore it to its original architecture, including two-story archways similar to those at Union Station. The archways are hidden by a more recent facade.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -plan.html
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Awesome! KCK’s version of Oak Tower
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I hope they are successful. Would be lovely.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

God I am so excited to see this come back through. Hoping this time it's successful and they can restore it and get her back online.

This, combined with the potential 6th & Ann Mixed-Use, as well as potential remodel of the International Brotherhood Building at 8th & Minnesota, could be a game changer.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:10 am Wow! What a neat surprise to wake up to this morning.

Former 7-story UMB Bank tower in downtown KCK may see new life as apartments, office

Veritas and BellaCore Developments, also based in Kansas City, Kansas, aim to remake the building a mixed-use project with 15,000 square feet of commercial and office on the first two floors. On floors three through seven, they would put in 25 one- and two-bedroom apartments.

The now vacant tower was built in 1925, and the developers want to restore it to its original architecture, including two-story archways similar to those at Union Station. The archways are hidden by a more recent facade.
Last night, a friend and I drove by this building and noticed they took some windows out on the west facade. Today, I went back and took some pictures. It's really something special. I took better photos with a good camera, but I can't upload them because I don't have a camera card reader handy. These are from my phone.

It's neat that you can see the brick through the glass if the sun hits it at just the right angle.

Does anyone know if the building next door will be addressed as part of this redevelopment plan? It's not looking too good.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

The building next door was slated to be redeveloped separately, but it caught fire in early-October. It may redeveloped with this project though, but nothing is confirmed.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The east side apartments will have some of the best DT KCMO views in town. It looks like less damage was done to the underlying facade than was done to the old SW Bell/Oak Tower. So much was lost around 1970 when KCK tried to "modernize" its business district. Two gracious old residential hotels were torn down only to be parking lots since, The Gould hotel, and the Grund.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

moderne wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:00 pm The east side apartments will have some of the best DT KCMO views in town. It looks like less damage was done to the underlying facade than was done to the old SW Bell/Oak Tower. So much was lost around 1970 when KCK tried to "modernize" its business district. Two gracious old residential hotels were torn down only to be parking lots since, The Gould hotel, and the Grund.
Luckily, the Grund hotel site has a proposal on the table to be redeveloped.

Though, good to note, Strawberry Hill has caught wind of it....I expect it could get interesting again.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

If Strawberry Hill people really end up bitching about something at the Grund Hotel site/6th and Ann, then that's truly unfortunate. It's downtown at that point. I know the plan is for 6-stories which is appropriate.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Detailed zoom on 601 Minnesota...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's crazy to me that one would cover that great terra cotta design with that ugly metal and glass.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

moderne wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:00 pm The east side apartments will have some of the best DT KCMO views in town. It looks like less damage was done to the underlying facade than was done to the old SW Bell/Oak Tower. So much was lost around 1970 when KCK tried to "modernize" its business district. Two gracious old residential hotels were torn down only to be parking lots since, The Gould hotel, and the Grund.
I assume you meant the Grand instead of Grund Hotel.

Gould Hotel

https://kchistory.org/image/gould-hotel ... ffset%5D=1

Grand Hotel

https://kchistory.org/image/grand-hotel ... fset%5D=18
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:18 pm Detailed zoom on 601 Minnesota...
Amazing it still looks this good
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Never heard of it being called the "Grand" hotel. It was always the "Grund" as far as I know.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Looks like it is Grund in the picture. Always love seeing these old buildings. Such a shame they were torn down
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:45 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:10 am Wow! What a neat surprise to wake up to this morning.

Last night, a friend and I drove by this building and noticed they took some windows out on the west facade. Today, I went back and took some pictures. It's really something special. I took better photos with a good camera, but I can't upload them because I don't have a camera card reader handy. These are from my phone.

It's neat that you can see the brick through the glass if the sun hits it at just the right angle.

Does anyone know if the building next door will be addressed as part of this redevelopment plan? It's not looking too good.
To follow up, the building next door, which suffered a fire is going to be demolished. The UG has filed for a demolition certificate of appropriateness.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:13 pm If Strawberry Hill people really end up bitching about something at the Grund Hotel site/6th and Ann, then that's truly unfortunate. It's downtown at that point. I know the plan is for 6-stories which is appropriate.
Strawberry Hill has caught wind and does have "issues" with it. This is the same group the vehemently opposed the 505 Central project and is also assisting Rosedale with opposition of the Woodside expansion.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

moderne wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:12 pm Never heard of it being called the "Grand" hotel. It was always the "Grund" as far as I know.
The public library had it listed under Grand Hotel.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:01 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:13 pm If Strawberry Hill people really end up bitching about something at the Grund Hotel site/6th and Ann, then that's truly unfortunate. It's downtown at that point. I know the plan is for 6-stories which is appropriate.
Strawberry Hill has caught wind and does have "issues" with it. This is the same group the vehemently opposed the 505 Central project and is also assisting Rosedale with opposition of the Woodside expansion.
Yea well opposition to 505 Central sure worked well for them :roll: lol. I imagine the chances the 6-story project being approved are much higher considering this is firmly within downtown kck. If they're opposed to this, then they might as well be opposed to the redevelopment of 601 Minnesota.

And only NIMBYs cross county lines to try and get something else killed. It's a sign their influence is weakening where they have to get outsiders to sway people.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:35 am
SilentSpades24 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:01 pm
Yea well opposition to 505 Central sure worked well for them :roll: lol. I imagine the chances the 6-story project being approved are much higher considering this is firmly within downtown kck. If they're opposed to this, then they might as well be opposed to the redevelopment of 601 Minnesota.

And only NIMBYs cross county lines to try and get something else killed. It's a sign their influence is weakening where they have to get outsiders to sway people.
Yeah, I don't see how Strawberry Hill could leverage complaints against 6th and Ann. It's a vacant lot that once had a building of similar size and scale.

The Woodside expansion is on the UG side of the line and is being heard (again) by the UG Board of Commissioners on December 1. Former senator Chris Steineger and former UG Planning Director Gil Pintar, as well as Rosedale Development Association have been in opposition as it "isn't meeting the master plan" (It's asking for one (1) deviation). The project has been through many iterations now.

The NIMBYism in Wyandotte County is beyond goofy to me.