Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:12 am "2032 completion date would mean they ran into massive issues and a new stadium goes off the table all together for a few years."

"From a personal (age) & business standpoint he has every incentive to get this opened ASAP."

My take from the announcement is they are still years away from even presenting a plan to the public. And then of course if sales tax money is involved there will time spent on that. And since the current JC sales tax doesn't expire until 2031 a replacement tax can't go into effect until it expires, at least I don't believe JC voters would have two sales taxes in place for a few years. And let's not forget the Royals are tied to the Sports Complex until after the 2031 season. To leave early will require some sort of agreement with the county to be released from the contract early.
They really are pushing for a 2026 opening as crazy as that sounds. Will it happen? Who knows.

The easier part of the equation is getting out of the current lease. Between issues with the facility and the likely plan to keep the Chiefs there, don’t see it being difficult.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Know how to break a lease early? Stay in the county you have the lease with. One of the reasons they very publicly announced where they were looking to build.

I'll eat my shoe if they are at TSC in 2029
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

whoa whoa whoa hold on be thoughtful about where you get that shoe, pizza bar doesn't need any new competition
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I was skeptical they were going to be out by 2026 at first, but after seeing how small and uneventful of a stadium it seems they’re aiming for, I think they’ll easily be able to do it. Yes I know that rendering isn’t the one but it shows their thinking a bit, which isn’t big.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

wahoowa wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:47 am whoa whoa whoa hold on be thoughtful about where you get that shoe, pizza bar doesn't need any new competition
Whoa whoa whoa, hold on, Wahoowa makes first comment on this topic and it’s pure genius.

No mention of anything related to the stadium but feels compelled to make a smart ass comment about pizza that’s meant to serve a purpose and not compete with Minsky’s, his favorite pie shop where he orders the KelceRoni for himself so he can take the leftovers back home to his mother.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Seems like an unnecessary escalation. He was just funning on pizza bar bring average at best. I think we can all agree on that.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:27 pm Seems like an unnecessary escalation. He was just funning on pizza bar bring average at best. I think we can all agree on that.
If Pizza Bar is average…
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:37 am
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:12 am "2032 completion date would mean they ran into massive issues and a new stadium goes off the table all together for a few years."

"From a personal (age) & business standpoint he has every incentive to get this opened ASAP."

My take from the announcement is they are still years away from even presenting a plan to the public. And then of course if sales tax money is involved there will time spent on that. And since the current JC sales tax doesn't expire until 2031 a replacement tax can't go into effect until it expires, at least I don't believe JC voters would have two sales taxes in place for a few years. And let's not forget the Royals are tied to the Sports Complex until after the 2031 season. To leave early will require some sort of agreement with the county to be released from the contract early.
They really are pushing for a 2026 opening as crazy as that sounds. Will it happen? Who knows.

The easier part of the equation is getting out of the current lease. Between issues with the facility and the likely plan to keep the Chiefs there, don’t see it being difficult.
I don't remember anything in the announcement about shooting for a 2026 completion date. Oh, yes they could break the lease but who knows how much it will cost the team. One way around it is having a four party negotiation between the county, city, and the two teams and that could be very complicated. And depending on how things are financed there could be two individual votes on sales taxes with the county and the city. Then it would be quite possible there would be a double tax in the KCMO portion of JC.
There are a lot of challenges ahead for the Royals no matter if it is 2026 or 2032. From this date forward you have just under 3 1/2 years to complete a stadium for a 2026 stadium. That is a very short window.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think they could easily build the stadium and it just be surrounded by parking lots they never develop, Ftr.

My question is if they come up with any guaranteed financing for this big, massive project they’re pretending to build.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

not my first post on the topic, but i can see how that would have gotten lost in the shuffle since my prior post had to do with a Downtown Baseball Stadium. minskys is just rebranded godfathers btw
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

wahoowa wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:40 pm not my first post on the topic, but i can see how that would have gotten lost in the shuffle since my prior post had to do with a Downtown Baseball Stadium. minskys is just rebranded godfathers btw
Pizza Bar is what you eat when you need to soak up some booze. Literally almost all other pizza from all other pizza places is better.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can't imagine they complete the stadium by 2026 taking into account the need to also rebuild all the infrastructure in the East Village (likely water and sewer, utilities, sidewalks, curbs) and also likely rebuild/reconfigure the ramps to the highway.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

FangKC wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:10 am I can't imagine they complete the stadium by 2026 taking into account the need to also rebuild all the infrastructure in the East Village (likely water and sewer, utilities, sidewalks, curbs) and also likely rebuild/reconfigure the ramps to the highway.
Maybe before the ‘30s.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I would probably bet money that no residential tower that size of one light will open before 2030
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

It depends what they want $2 bil for. The stadium isn't going to cost that much, so I'm curious what the rest of the money is for. Depending on how much they get will determine the residential situation. I would also add I think the last few comments are too bearish.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:37 am It depends what they want $2 bil for. The stadium isn't going to cost that much, so I'm curious what the rest of the money is for. Depending on how much they get will determine the residential situation. I would also add I think the last few comments are too bearish.
They never said they WANT $2 billion.

I feel like your posts try to stir things up constantly. Getting hard to keep reading them.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah it’s getting exhausting. Which is too bad for such a cool project!

I can’t wait to hear more from them though. Most excited I’ve been outside power and light reveal and airport. So many questions though
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:45 am
UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:37 am It depends what they want $2 bil for. The stadium isn't going to cost that much, so I'm curious what the rest of the money is for. Depending on how much they get will determine the residential situation. I would also add I think the last few comments are too bearish.

I feel like your posts try to stir things up constantly. Getting hard to keep reading them.
Its been touted as a $2B project. The money has to come from somewhere.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:54 am

I'm throwing a party tomorrow for everyone. It's going to cost at least $10,000. I'm getting things started with $100.

Would you like to contribute by wire or check?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:54 am

It’s been made clear the surrounding development district is included in that cost.