Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:03 pm I actually haven't seen it getting that bad. There's alot of people out there voicing support. 810 radio guy said most of the people texting in were supportive. It's probably just the voices freaking out against it the loudest because they see their view dwindling down the drain right now.
Just saw a lady commenting on The Star article about how she won't go if they do this due to traffic and parking. Come to find out, she doesn't even live in KC and hasn't for years. So many of these negative comments are from people who currently don't attend the games anyway.

And the "but what about my tailgating" crowd! Jokes on them for not understanding that's a byproduct of a bad baseball team.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:10 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:43 pm There is a LOT of pushback for moving the stadium downtown. I knew it would be a lot, but wow. I wonder if there is a possibility where the Royals decide to build a new stadium at the TSC or renovate again.

Unless the Royals come up with a plan that really wows the public and so far the renderings don't do that, I don't see this passing a public vote even if just extending the current tax.
I'm 150% in favor of John Sherman threatening to move the team. Push back is understandable but it's not coming from informed people. The parking and traffic comments alone are enough to make my head explode (to the pleasure of some people on here).
Don't think current team ownership (which is very local and passionate about KC) would threaten to move the team outside of KC metro. Move the team to KS? On the table. Move the team to another metro? Not even in the room.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

KC Royals subreddit community seemed pretty supportive, and these are not your casual fans. As can be expected, they were lamenting the loss of the K and all the memories formed there but they were also excited about the prospect of downtown baseball (perhaps because they have traveled to see the Royals on the road and seen firsthand how much better of an experience it can be compared to the wasteland around TSC). The only strong negatives I saw at the time were from a couple fans from out of town (granted this was a couple days ago at this point)
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I'm reading the tea leaves on the Chiefs situation now that we can see how things are unfolding with the Royals:

1. There's no way another separate, isolated entertainment village out at Truman Sports Complex is going to work when everything is coalescing downtown and the Chiefs play 8x a year.

2. After Missouri drops $2 bil for the Royals, are they going to be able to turn right around and do it again for the Chiefs? This is where I can see taking advantage of a weakened Missouri here and swoop in
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Team doesn't have many carrots to threaten a move. MLB seems set on two expansion teams & it looked like it was going to be Portland, OR & Nashville but that was before the probable collapse of the A's move to Vegas. Don't think LV is going to be in on an MLB team & it would have been stupid anyway so the threat isn't there.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:22 pm I'm reading the tea leaves on the Chiefs situation now that we can see how things are unfolding with the Royals:

1. There's no way another separate, isolated entertainment village out at Truman Sports Complex is going to work when everything is coalescing downtown and the Chiefs play 8x a year.

2. After Missouri drops $2 bil for the Royals, are they going to be able to turn right around and do it again for the Chiefs? This is where I can see taking advantage of a weakened Missouri here and swoop in
Where on earth are people getting that MO, or JaxCo, is going to drop 2 Billion on the Royals? The entire project is 2 billion. Continuation of the current tax would net $250 million.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

To clarify in the above post...I'm referring to Kansas swooping in to take the *Chiefs* because of a weakened Missouri after they drop $2 bil for the Royals. I have doubts they'll be able to turn right around and do that again, leaving them vulnerable.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Missouri is not spending $2 billion on the royals.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Ok or whatever the price tag is. They’re gonna spend big, is the point.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

News: 18th & Vine site is dead?

Kevin Hardy reporting that it is out definitely now

https://twitter.com/kevinmhardy/status/ ... avFUObGauQ
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Taking the TLG's location and orientation speculation at face value (East Village site, stadium pushed to the north, field oriented SE), the more I look at the renderings the more I see what could be kind of a creative combination of Truist Park/Battery in ATL, the Pendulum design from the past, and the ULI competition winner.

Orienting the field SE allows right field to remain open right along 11th street, and centered along a pedestrian spine that runs across 11th and bisects the "village" block (a la ULI competition winner IIRC). Having the main entrance in right field and opening directly to pedestrian/mixed-use space is straight out of the Truist/Battery playbook, but I don't think has been done anywhere else or in an urban setting. The concave nature of the stadium along 11th lends itself to connecting with the rest of the district without necessarily closing the street, and then the pedestrian spine create a ton of gathering space walkability on the south block(s).

Overall could be a pretty neat plan if there is any truth to kcrag speculation or these initial renderings.
Last edited by rxlexi on Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:52 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:43 pm There is a LOT of pushback for moving the stadium downtown. I knew it would be a lot, but wow. I wonder if there is a possibility where the Royals decide to build a new stadium at the TSC or renovate again.

Unless the Royals come up with a plan that really wows the public and so far the renderings don't do that, I don't see this passing a public vote even if just extending the current tax.
Haha, okay. I've seen the usual amount but like every poll 610 & 810, and other sports outlets, have done has it at like 80% approve to go downtown.
I can't believe 80% of the people in this country can agree on anything anymore. I think there is a difference between people that listen to sports talk radio all day and the general voting population of a county as large and diverse as Jackson or a the same with KCMO's voters.

Either way, I hope Sherman doesn't cave and sticks to the plan for a downtown ballpark regardless of how much pushback he gets.

Also, why can't the stadium face more to the west? All the buildings would block the sun setting.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Guys. the past two pages of this thread are really really disappointing. This site is better than the comment section of the star.

* The city is not "against" this
* That rendering is from years ago and has zero bearing on this plan
* 18th and vine was out a year ago.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:19 pm KC Royals subreddit community seemed pretty supportive, and these are not your casual fans. As can be expected, they were lamenting the loss of the K and all the memories formed there but they were also excited about the prospect of downtown baseball (perhaps because they have traveled to see the Royals on the road and seen firsthand how much better of an experience it can be compared to the wasteland around TSC). The only strong negatives I saw at the time were from a couple fans from out of town (granted this was a couple days ago at this point)
LinkedIn comments are also mostly supportive
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I agree the loudest opposition is crying out their last gasp via social media right now. My circle, even the older family members and friends of family, not necessarily just young urban residents are broadly supportive or simply agnostic.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Personally I hope North Loop is still considered, especially if the 70 gets downgraded back to a Blvd. It would be dense and deeper in the core than EV and the only building that would be demolished is the Flashcube. Realistically it would probably jump start more retail along 8th, 9th, and Broadway in some of the older structures and give the area a more organic feel, while still having plenty of real estate available on the East side of Main Street.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

daGOAT wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:42 pm Personally I hope North Loop is still considered, especially if the 70 gets downgraded back to a Blvd. It would be dense and deeper in the core than EV and the only building that would be demolished is the Flashcube. Realistically it would probably jump start more retail along 8th, 9th, and Broadway in some of the older structures and give the area a more organic feel, while still having plenty of real estate available on the East side of Main Street.
That would be really prime. Not sure it’s likely. BFA is a big proponent of north loop and I heartily agree but don’t talk about it more because I’m just not sure it’s very likely. But if it happened I would be pleasantly surprised.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:18 pm* That rendering is from years ago and has zero bearing on this plan
Which rendering? Weren't the one's we're talking about just released?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:54 pm
daGOAT wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:42 pm Personally I hope North Loop is still considered, especially if the 70 gets downgraded back to a Blvd. It would be dense and deeper in the core than EV and the only building that would be demolished is the Flashcube. Realistically it would probably jump start more retail along 8th, 9th, and Broadway in some of the older structures and give the area a more organic feel, while still having plenty of real estate available on the East side of Main Street.
That would be really prime. Not sure it’s likely. BFA is a big proponent of north loop and I heartily agree but don’t talk about it more because I’m just not sure it’s very likely. But if it happened I would be pleasantly surprised.
I’d love this too but I don’t think it’s even being talked about.

As far as I’m aware, these are the first time this rendering has been publicly released, and it’s not Pendulum. The concept shown here has been around for a bit but, as far as I’m aware, it’s still the Ownership group’s preference. TLG has a pretty good theory on the location. Though other sites have been considered.

I do know there once were talks of a pedestrian bridge + developments/parking on the Paseo West side of the highway too. If possible ownership wants the development to extend into the community outside the loop. Though we’ll see how feasible that is
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:58 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:18 pm* That rendering is from years ago and has zero bearing on this plan
Which rendering? Weren't the one's we're talking about just released?
released with the news release yet. they were also the ones that came out a while back.