Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I'm guessing (hoping, really) that the final stadium will look nothing like this image.

If they do go with the Crossroads, it has to be brick and blend in. If they put something like that in the Crossroads, we riot.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

It's going to be a modern Kauffman, so steel/glass concrete. The brick throwback stadium look is way out right now, everybody ended up mostly building the same bland classic stadium.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:38 pm It's going to be a modern Kauffman, so steel/glass concrete. The brick throwback stadium look is way out right now, everybody ended up mostly building the same bland classic stadium.
I don't think the steel and brick design is ever out when it comes to baseball stadiums. The best stadiums in the league are designed this way including the newest ones. A modern stadium like LoanDepot Park wouldn't work in downtown KC. A healthy mix of steel, glass and brick would be ideal and I'm sure that's how it will end up.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I think this is our site

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Check out the shape in the back

wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i hope you're right TLG.

this got me thinking... the way you've laid it out there would mean an ESE angle from home plate to center. that's not a total nonstarter (see https://tht.fangraphs.com/lost-in-the-s ... ientation/ ), but would be an odd choice for a blank slate.

i am going to hazard a guess that rule 1.04 compliance is not at the top of Rendering Artist's task list. but then i realized the shadows in the rendering kind of suggest your orientation is basically correct, since they largely run from bottom right to middle left.

it would be a little weird for them to draw it up this way unless there's something blocking a development district to the presumed north. that actually makes me think of the loop, which sucks because i hate the crossroads proposal. but it could also just be that the banked land for whatever reason fits towers to the S and E with the ballpark to the N, in which case maybe they just configured the render like this to emphasize the towers from the other view shared for the purpose of their "herp derp eco devo" bold font stuff in page whatever of the twitter long didn't read.

or it's all just vaporware untethered to reality and/or any concrete proposal. but where's the discussion board fun in that?!
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:11 pm I think this is our site

Would I be right in saying at least one of the buildings in the top photo are completely empty as well?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It fits perfectly. Much more appropriate site.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The underrated thing nobody's talking about is the horrendous streetscape between this site and P&L. It just kills the whole vibe if it doesn't get overhauled.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://fox4kc.com/sports/kc-downtown-c ... l-stadium/

These are the kinds of articles you need to sway public support in favor.

- Address concerns

- Highlight benefits
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:53 am The underrated thing nobody's talking about is the horrendous streetscape between this site and P&L. It just kills the whole vibe if it doesn't get overhauled.
With Copaken owning two key blocks in this connection, I imagine a development there will address this concern. Additionally, if the stadium is approved, I would not write off the idea that the city would do some major overhauling of the streetscape across the whole of downtown east of Main.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I think Opening Day 2026 is back on. Kathy Nelson said she's pushing for that. And if it's gonna be a small stadium, then it probably should make that deadline no problem.

Exciting.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:27 pm If they do go with the Crossroads, it has to be brick and blend in. If they put something like that in the Crossroads, we riot.
For the record, we've moved past brick.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:38 am
UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:27 pm If they do go with the Crossroads, it has to be brick and blend in. If they put something like that in the Crossroads, we riot.
For the record, we've moved past brick.
See: reverb, artera, city club, or arte
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:38 amWith Copaken owning two key blocks in this connection, I imagine a development there will address this concern.
Unless copaken gives up the ghost on their office towers, I don’t see them developing in the loop anytime soon. I wish someone would buy out their properties so we can mitigate the devastated city blocks they own
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:44 am I think Opening Day 2026 is back on. Kathy Nelson said she's pushing for that. And if it's gonna be a small stadium, then it probably should make that deadline no problem.

Exciting.
2026 is the goal. As far as size/capacity, it's slated as of now to be very similar to the current K's capacity.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Solid investigative work. With that orientation, the buildings in the outfield would be a requirement almost to prevent the sun from being directly in the batters eye.

I'm not giving up hope that they'll be more creative than going where it's been rumored to go for the last 5+ years. However, hard to deny this rendering is EV.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:32 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:38 amWith Copaken owning two key blocks in this connection, I imagine a development there will address this concern.
Unless copaken gives up the ghost on their office towers, I don’t see them developing in the loop anytime soon. I wish someone would buy out their properties so we can mitigate the devastated city blocks they own
Can't the city pass some legislation to force land bankers into shitting or getting off the pot?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Not really sure about that orientation. I would guess they would want home plate to point towards existing development and P&L to make a closer walk. Of course, if the Royals are going to have their own separate entertainment district maybe they want to face towards it and further away from existing entertainment. That probably is really bad news to Cordish and P&L. Curious how they would respond to direct competition.