Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

Seems like we're forgetting that ideally, a move downtown means a moderate increase in attendance. Not implying it would mean a 10k boost but 10-15% is more than reasonable. I'm not sure where the 28k figure came from as I've never seen that figure.

If it were my money, I'd build a 28k capacity stadium with a lot of open balcony and mezzanine space. When demand is low, these spaces can be activated for group sales, sponsorship activations or simply as flexible space. When the team is good, demand is high or we are talking playoffs, you could expand to upwards of 40k.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

GRID wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:32 pm More like 7k smaller than the smallest. I'm just saying 28k is just too small. 32k is fine. I think 34k is the most KC can possibly average anyway and that was during the back to back WS run. But building an extra small ballpark for a MLB team just seems silly.

I also think the Royals would be making a big mistake not having at least 32k seats for when the team can draw that well. That way 25k will still feel very full, but the stadium won't feel like Omaha's college world series stadium.
The capacity for the new park as of now remains very similar to the current K.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:58 am Now that this is announced, can this still get done by 2026?

Seems like if it's gonna be a 28k cookie cutter like this is could easily get done by then.
Seems like the airport timeline might indicate if that's possible. East Village is primarily controlled by the city and its master developer and I'm sure there will be some public assistance request from the city (maybe free transfer of land to the county?).
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:57 am
UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:58 am Now that this is announced, can this still get done by 2026?

Seems like if it's gonna be a 28k cookie cutter like this is could easily get done by then.
Seems like the airport timeline might indicate if that's possible. East Village is primarily controlled by the city and its master developer and I'm sure there will be some public assistance request from the city (maybe free transfer of land to the county?).
So is East Village the assumed location? Seems to be the only location that would be available immediately if the Royals wanted to do something sooner or later.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:53 pm I think it was a strategic mistake to come out with that $2 billion number and no plans. It’s the headline number in every article I’ve seen and people don’t know what they’re paying for.
I think this is key. Honestly surprised they would choose to bring out a press release without even a site chosen, let alone real early renderings (could still be subject to change - think KCI) or financial plans.

Super excited that we're getting started here, but I'm disappointed that they don't appear to be further along, and really dislike the idea of soliciting "public input" on site planning, etc. Just bring us (the region) the best possible version of the vision you've come up with, and maybe make a few tweaks or concessions here or there as we move forward. Still so many questions...

The comments on a site "near downtown" and community impact make me wonder if 18th & Vine might still be in play, perhaps tying in a new home for Negro Leagues Baseball Museum? Overall I still think East Village has to be the front runner, and would work well for this kind of clean slate, "district" design.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

https://twitter.com/the_transit_guy/sta ... GIgiQ&s=19

Oh God where on earth will I park? Doesn't even take into account brownfields and empty buildings either.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:39 am Spending millions on oceans of concrete and steel to lift a seat up to the top of the upper deck and then selling that seat for $7 is the epitome of stupid.
The marginal cost of adding seats is not "millions" per seat.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

phuqueue wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:09 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:39 am Spending millions on oceans of concrete and steel to lift a seat up to the top of the upper deck and then selling that seat for $7 is the epitome of stupid.
The marginal cost of adding seats is not "millions" per seat.
The exponential curve of stadium seating cost is a known rule in stadium construction, obviously :lol:
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:29 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:57 am

So is East Village the assumed location? Seems to be the only location that would be available immediately if the Royals wanted to do something sooner or later.
EV is the easiest, so it has always been the default front runner. Feedback I've got was it's not the favorite but with the least amount of obstacles, it's top of list.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not the favorite of whom? Seems pretty insulated feedback
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Shooting from the hip but I have trouble seeing how it’s not EV at this point. There were some hints at 18th & Vine. I still think 18th and Vine would do a lot to activate the Crossroads without taking it over. Wouldn’t be against it and maybe there’s a remote possibility. But EV seems like the right mix of already assembled land, lots of latitude, and it doesn’t really offend anybody that isn’t already against a DT ballpark.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

18th and vine is out IMO. Mayor Q made a comment about that neighborhood worried about gentrification this summer. That to me was the end of 18th and vine
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:15 pm Not the favorite of whom? Seems pretty insulated feedback
Sherman.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:54 pm 18th and vine is out IMO. Mayor Q made a comment about that neighborhood worried about gentrification this summer. That to me was the end of 18th and vine
Agreed. Sounded like this was a non-starter.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Obviously Q needs to not alienate the East Side. But are we reading too much into that comment. Yes there would obviously be concerns, but are those concerns so sensitive and immutable to make it a complete non-starter? Probably a moot debate since I do think it will be EV. But I’m not as sure as some of you are that 18th and Vine permanently ceased to be considered after Q’s comments over the summer.

Question for Dcole. You say EV is not Sherman’s favorite site? So is his favorite site definitely Crossroads? Is any other site besides Crossroads or EV in play what so ever? Link2 as well seems to have some knowledge of the process. Of course answer only to the extent you are at liberty to. Thanks.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:27 pm Obviously Q needs to not alienate the East Side. But are we reading too much into that comment. Yes there would obviously be concerns, but are those concerns so sensitive and immutable to make it a complete non-starter? Probably a moot debate since I do think it will be EV. But I’m not as sure as some of you are that 18th and Vine permanently ceased to be considered after Q’s comments over the summer.

Question for Dcole. You say EV is not Sherman’s favorite site? So is his favorite site definitely Crossroads? Is any other site besides Crossroads or EV in play what so ever? Link2 as well seems to have some knowledge of the process. Of course answer only to the extent you are at liberty to. Thanks.
As far as I know, both sites were still under serious consideration as of last week. But I do not have too much insight into the decision on a location.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:27 pm Obviously Q needs to not alienate the East Side. But are we reading too much into that comment. Yes there would obviously be concerns, but are those concerns so sensitive and immutable to make it a complete non-starter? Probably a moot debate since I do think it will be EV. But I’m not as sure as some of you are that 18th and Vine permanently ceased to be considered after Q’s comments over the summer.

I was at a get together a few months ago where the Mayor expressed his love for the crossroads location. Sherman was making a business case and saying EV wouldn't be his first choice. I'm not quoting there and drinks were flowing as well, so take it as you see fit.

Bottom line is this doesn't work if it's not the full baseball district concept. Teams across the league have seen what having a sports anchored district can do for the team on the field. It's massive. My push for the E. Crossroads location is all about synergy with other tax payer backed districts and ensuring this new stadium development is a hit.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Thanks for the insight
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

For all this hype about "KC has the best sports architecture firms, the stadium will be amazing"..that stadium they designed looked like a high school could've drawn it up. Wow, was thoroughly disappointed with what they threw out there. And yes I know it's not the final product, but that was weak.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:18 pm For all this hype about "KC has the best sports architecture firms, the stadium will be amazing"..that stadium they designed looked like a high school could've drawn it up. Wow, was thoroughly disappointed with what they threw out there. And yes I know it's not the final product, but that was weak.
They don't want to give away location in the renderings.

That said, I do wish this was handled like the Current stadium. Where the first renderings shown get people amped about the location, stadium and team. Obviously different because the Current had minimal history/people who were comfortable with the status quo, but still. The Current have been very smart in their approach.