Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Link2 »

Expect major movement on this in the very near-term.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Link2 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:08 am Expect major movement on this in the very near-term.
by Thanksgiving?
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:29 am
Link2 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:08 am Expect major movement on this in the very near-term.
by Thanksgiving?
Yes, if there's no major hiccup
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Link2 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:31 am
by Thanksgiving?
Cool thanks for the update!
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:35 am

by Thanksgiving?
Cool thanks for the update!
No problem. Exciting times ahead!
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:26 pm ... but Manica’s bid is hyper local top to bottom which the ownership group appreciates.
If Manica designs it, perhaps it will be chic and without pretension, and arranged so fans in left field can flirt with fans in right field, all with an international vibe.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

If it is in east village, I hope the proposal speaks to plans to build out a walkable mixed use neighborhood all around the ballpark.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

by Thanksgiving?
The British Airways new US announcement was also expected to be before Thankgsiving. Could be a big week for KC!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

That makes sense. The rumor was that after Frank White secured re-election the Royals would be able to move forward. And White just won election last week.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

An open letter from John Sherman on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Royals/status/1592650000794030081
  • 2 billion dollar public/private partnership
  • Calls for a ballpark district with office/apartments/retail/hotels
  • No one with Jackson County will pay more in taxes then they currently do
  • Starting a listening tour
  • Multiple sites in and close to downtown under consideration
KCDowntown
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

KCDowntown wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:01 pm An open letter from John Sherman on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Royals/status/1592650000794030081
  • 2 billion dollar public/private partnership
  • Calls for a ballpark district with office/apartments/retail/hotels
  • No one with Jackson County will pay more in taxes then they currently do
  • Starting a listening tour
  • Multiple sites in and close to downtown under consideration
KCDowntown
And here it is!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I’ll be watching closely because this could be a really good deal if they do it right.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:10 pm Image
That actually looks more like Corporate Woods than downtown.

In any event, I welcome the move if it happens. I think there will be significant resistance and a lot of blustery people saying they will never attend another game.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

The public piece gives me pause, really hoping it will be for other things related to development around it and or within the structure of incentives and such that government can grant; ie no public funds that require a vote.

The Rendering I saw on Twitter I hope is just a placeholder, and not even a close what if/could be. The rendering is fine and I like the surrounding development aspects. However the stadium is dull and lacks any kind of iconic design. Yes there is a peek of a crown top, and a few water spouts for fountains, but nothing iconic and even less than what we have today. We are lucky that the bones of something built in 1973 are still beautiful to look at and the upgrades over the years make it even better.

I only mention this because KC is lucky enough to have the best sports architecture firms in the world located right here. The people & the companies they started set the modern standard and are innovators. I really hope they seize this to create something iconic and view it as a way to leave their mark on the city and its history. I'm hoping for something more that takes what we love about the design and aesthetics of the current K and are able to replicate and move the bar higher to really impress us. I've been to 13 (I think) baseball stadiums, including the icons of Wrigley and Fenway and a lesser extend Dodgers Stadium. At any rate there are certain things I love about new stadiums and their design for modern sports viewing and entertainment and just understanding fan experience at the park. I really want the new stadium to be everything that those are plus include what makes Kauffman, Kauffmann. I do not want that to be glossed over. In some respects that will be some of the most important things to design around; the outfield fountains, and a crown scoreboard.

Let's see what the amazingly talented designers & architects can do 8)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

They will need a vote to extend the current tax. They will need a vote if other counties are expected to join in. Architects can design anything they can dream of but at what cost. KC has a limited budget and a lack of willingness to RAISE taxes for this project maybe even to maintain taxes for this project.

With these renderings, you want the attention to be on the stadium and not the stunning apartment tower next door. Purposefully bland for a few reasons.

The design should and is driven by the following:
What makes going to the game better than watching from your living room?
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:28 pm They will need a vote to extend the current tax. They will need a vote if other counties are expected to join in. Architects can design anything they can dream of but at what cost. KC has a limited budget and a lack of willingness to RAISE taxes for this project maybe even to maintain taxes for this project.

With these renderings, you want the attention to be on the stadium and not the stunning apartment tower next door. Purposefully bland for a few reasons.
I was referring to the stadium being bland, but I liked the idea of the surrounding development included to show the scope and scale.

You are saying the stadium design being bland/generic is all part of the normal process of things?

Voting aspects is going to put a real wrinkle in things. I think it would pass without issue. But given the current climate of voting, government, etc. I'd be nervous to rely on the public to help you
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:33 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:28 pm They will need a vote to extend the current tax. They will need a vote if other counties are expected to join in. Architects can design anything they can dream of but at what cost. KC has a limited budget and a lack of willingness to RAISE taxes for this project maybe even to maintain taxes for this project.

I was referring to the stadium being bland, but I liked the idea of the surrounding development included to show the scope and scale.

You are saying the stadium design being bland/generic is all part of the normal process of things?

Voting aspects is going to put a real wrinkle in things. I think it would pass without issue. But given the current client of voting, government, etc. I'd be nervous to rely on the public to help you
I was responding to Highlander's corporate woods comment. There is a big focus on surrounding infrastructure and development district with iconic aspects used day-day and available to the public 24/7/365
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I like the tapered roof and upper deck as a design nod to the K.

The fountain needs to be much larger or more linear and should have some outward design so it's part of the streetscape.

Should do something more like Crown Vision with the scoreboard and center it up. The off-center scoreboard is one of my biggest complaints about Progressive Field and Tiger stadium. Really difficult to see when you are on the 3rd base side.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Count me as a another Kansas Citian who won't vote for a tax increase to fund this. Extend the current stadium tax? Sure. But I won't vote to tax myself for DT baseball. This is a business; I have met John Sherman personally. He is a good businessman and I'm sure he understands and will deliver nonetheless.