OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by normalthings »

Authorizing a Concession Agreement between the City of Kansas City, Missouri, Aviation Department and Alclear, LLC d/b/a Clear at the New Terminal at Kansas City International Airport and estimating revenue in the Aviation Fund.

https://kansascity.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx

>>> Transpo Committee
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have Clear. It maybe the dumbest thing in the world. I can't imagine actually paying for it. It MAY save me 15 seconds over my travel partner w/o it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:06 pm I have Clear. It maybe the dumbest thing in the world. I can't imagine actually paying for it. It MAY save me 15 seconds over my travel partner w/o it.
At just KCI or everywhere? TSA Pre sure saves some time at most places I have used it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Precheck sure. Definitely saves time. Maybe many don't have both. New Orleans, LAX it's never helped. Some airports that lost it don't have it at all checkpoints.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I’ve yet to walk past a Clear checkpoint anywhere that was noticeably shorter than the TSA Pre line, but there must be enough suckers airports that also sometimes have congested TSA Pre lines to explain the company’s continued existence.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

swid wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:33 pm I’ve yet to walk past a Clear checkpoint anywhere that was noticeably shorter than the TSA Pre line, but there must be enough suckers airports that also sometimes have congested TSA Pre lines to explain the company’s continued existence.
Clear comes included with many tiers of AMEX. Clear is offered at a growing number of sports venues but there really aren't lines at KC venues in the way there are lines in other citiies
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I fly 150k miles per year and have for a couple decades (work travel, perhaps a bit less during the COVID timeframe). CLEAR was intended to be a private-market competitor to TSA Precheck. But TSA Pre, which works well as long as it's offered, became so dominant that nobody wanted/ enrolled in CLEAR. There are a couple of locations -- SEA-TAC is one, where CLEAR has taken over the most convenient security lanes and moved TSA Pre off to a subprime location. I think I saw something similar at the JetBlue Terminal (C) at Boston Logan.

With the plan for centralized security, I hope that KCI does not think they can reduce the availability of TSA Pre in favor of this runner-up CLEAR. I do understand that CLEAR pays the airport as a concession, but by no means is it what frequent travelers prefer. Just wanted to put that out there.

TSA Precheck ranks among a handful of government programs that I think demonstrably improve the lives of rank-and-file Americans. I hope the aviation department keeps that in mind when planning the security configuration at the new terminal.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:06 pm I have Clear. It maybe the dumbest thing in the world. I can't imagine actually paying for it. It MAY save me 15 seconds over my travel partner w/o it.
I’m not picking you out even though I’m quoting you.

But I wonder if our airport has been bad for so long that we’ve forgotten table stakes for having a good airport.

It’s probably true most kc residents don’t have expensive travel cards and typically just travel southwest on the cheapest ticket you can get.

Having expensive shit is good! I’m sure the people that like the current airport think lounges are dumb too, but there is a reason delta is building it. More of this in my opinion.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Also, as mentioned earlier, delta, clear, and Amex all are pretty tight. I’d be shocked if delta doesn’t become the number one legacy carrier here within a year of opening
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

herrfrank wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:04 pm I fly 150k miles per year and have for a couple decades (work travel, perhaps a bit less during the COVID timeframe). CLEAR was intended to be a private-market competitor to TSA Precheck. But TSA Pre, which works well as long as it's offered, became so dominant that nobody wanted/ enrolled in CLEAR. There are a couple of locations -- SEA-TAC is one, where CLEAR has taken over the most convenient security lanes and moved TSA Pre off to a subprime location. I think I saw something similar at the JetBlue Terminal (C) at Boston Logan.

With the plan for centralized security, I hope that KCI does not think they can reduce the availability of TSA Pre in favor of this runner-up CLEAR. I do understand that CLEAR pays the airport as a concession, but by no means is it what frequent travelers prefer. Just wanted to put that out there.

TSA Precheck ranks among a handful of government programs that I think demonstrably improve the lives of rank-and-file Americans. I hope the aviation department keeps that in mind when planning the security configuration at the new terminal.
The thing is if you have Clear but not tsa precheck you get thrown in the non precheck line after you go thru Clear so you really need pre check either way. It always boggles my mind when people have clear but not precheck.

That all said even though Clear isn’t really needed here it will be good to have from a status type of view. I’d guess most airports our size have it by now.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:30 pm Also, as mentioned earlier, delta, clear, and Amex all are pretty tight. I’d be shocked if delta doesn’t become the number one legacy carrier here within a year of opening
Could absolutely see this.

My whole life it has been SW #1 by a mile. Now I hear a lot of excitement about Delta. Began as a curiosity about the lounge but people have starting looking more into it as Southwest has raised their prices
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:53 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:30 pm Also, as mentioned earlier, delta, clear, and Amex all are pretty tight. I’d be shocked if delta doesn’t become the number one legacy carrier here within a year of opening
Could absolutely see this.

My whole life it has been SW #1 by a mile. Now I hear a lot of excitement about Delta. Began as a curiosity about the lounge but people have starting looking more into it as Southwest has raised their prices
There’s just a huge difference between people that travel a lot and people that travel occasionally. I’m sitting on 55,000 miles for this year on delta, not counting when I had to use other airlines, and I’m not close to high status.

Build an airport for both!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

New SWA equates to maybe 1 gate of additional utilization . Hope to see more over time….

SWA will have 100 to 120 per day in St. Louis next summer.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:28 pm
I’m not picking you out even though I’m quoting you.

But I wonder if our airport has been bad for so long that we’ve forgotten table stakes for having a good airport.

It’s probably true most kc residents don’t have expensive travel cards and typically just travel southwest on the cheapest ticket you can get.

Having expensive shit is good! I’m sure the people that like the current airport think lounges are dumb too, but there is a reason delta is building it. More of this in my opinion.
I agree with you. I just laugh how worthless I've seen Clear be. Again maybe if one doesn't do pre-check it's worth it but the PITA is the actual security difference between "normnal" and precheck line. Not the line queueing to get into each security portion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I was told someone I think I can trust to be in the know that the new terminal will not open "early". Sticking with the March 3 date (I think that was the official announced opening day)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would think FAA would want to stick to the planned date?

Hopefully the opening goes well and issues hashed out before NFL Draft. Some new airports can struggle with things like baggage handling for months or more.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:21 pm I was told someone I think I can trust to be in the know that the new terminal will not open "early". Sticking with the March 3 date (I think that was the official announced opening day)
I thought the 4th was the “delivery date” and it would be a few days after that. But maybe I read wrong
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Posters on Airliners analyzed the opening day flight schedule/over nights that Meyer posted on Twitter. They claim the night of March 7th to 8th is what was shown.

i don't really care what day it is but all indications point to that week.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

normalthings wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:13 pm Posters on Airliners analyzed the opening day flight schedule/over nights that Meyer posted on Twitter. They claim the night of March 7th to 8th is what was shown.

i don't really care what day it is but all indications point to that week.
Looking into his tweet it has to be a Tuesday-Friday before March 9. 7th or 8th would work but the 3rd would also if it’s the first week