OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by beautyfromashes »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:36 pm It's was great weekend. Felt like a real city. I"d add the huge number of Bills fans to that list.

Plaza was hoping too.
Which makes you think that a sports team downtown would cause the area to feel more like this weekend all the time.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:23 am
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:37 pm Obviously they're waiting until they can demolish it and put residence or office above it. But we're not idiots.

I hate when companies are like oh we just can't find the right fit and the answer is like lol we're planning to wreck that.
Why would they demolish something they built to support a tower above it?
I was being hyperbolical but you keep moving the goal posts. I'm not saying it failed because I have some obscure metric. It sits empty.

I assume that cordish didn't build this area thinking they'd just never rent it out? Maybe you're right and it will all be leased and I'll sound like an idiot. I'll set a calendar reminder and meet you back in this thread :)
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:31 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:23 am
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:37 pm Obviously they're waiting until they can demolish it and put residence or office above it. But we're not idiots.

I hate when companies are like oh we just can't find the right fit and the answer is like lol we're planning to wreck that.
Why would they demolish something they built to support a tower above it?
I was being hyperbolical but you keep moving the goal posts. I'm not saying it failed because I have some obscure metric. It sits empty.

I assume that cordish didn't build this area thinking they'd just never rent it out? Maybe you're right and it will all be leased and I'll sound like an idiot. I'll set a calendar reminder and meet you back in this thread :)
The goal posts were set almost 20 years ago now and a retail shopping destination was never in the cards. So based on that criteria there has been no failure.

They know they’ll rent it out but the business model doesn’t demand they get every square inch leased to prevent a financial failure. Some spaces sitting empty doesn’t mean the overall district is failing or even struggling. Matter of fact, I’ve been told they’re having the best year yet.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:01 pm What it’s supposed to be like right! Love to see it all come together and I have close friends who manage this. Victoria is a PNL employee who organized and managed cornucopia. She’s been working hard on this event for months. I think it has a ton of growth potential.
Tell Victoria she did an incredible job. Tons of families, tons of activities, tons of Chiefs fans Sunday.

gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Agreed that it was a fantastic weekend downtown with plenty to do. For the Chiefs watch parties I just wish they would open up one of the bars upstairs or put a temp stand up there so you don't have to wait 30+ minutes to get a drink in the crowd down below.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

gfenn11 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:51 pm Agreed that it was a fantastic weekend downtown with plenty to do. For the Chiefs watch parties I just wish they would open up one of the bars upstairs or put a temp stand up there so you don't have to wait 30+ minutes to get a drink in the crowd down below.
+1

Maybe the outdoor tiki area of Shark Bar?
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Yes! Or the outdoor portions of the corner bar next to howl at the moon.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Forgot to post earlier, but last Wednesday evening around 630pm or so I was in downtown and was thoroughly impressed with the foot traffic. People were all up and down the street on Main, Walnut, Grand and of course River Market.

Can't wait to see what it's like in 2026 when it's all built out.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Stumbled across this today. Hadn't ever seen the original drawings for P&L

https://williamcorneli.wordpress.com/20 ... s-city-mo/

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

In that 4L spot here^ I actually wouldn't mind having that exact building, but much taller ofc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:53 pm In that 4L spot here^ I actually wouldn't mind having that exact building, but much taller ofc
Actually there was one in one of the original plans that was basically that. It was about 35-40 stories.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

There was also this:

atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Aren't these the old plans from the Durwood era and not from Cordish? I might just be daft as well so there's that...
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ yes.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Yes
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

What a completely different area it would have been with this plan. Plaza V.2.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

@DColeKC, what are the odds that the Sky project could use some of the design elements from this previous plan? Like the design and look of those two larger buildings in that last photo.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

atticus23 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:22 pm @DColeKC, what are the odds that the Sky project could use some of the design elements from this previous plan? Like the design and look of those two larger buildings in that last photo.
I'm not sure but I'd say slim. It feels like that style overall has gone out the window across the country. Things could change quickly though.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Love the tradition of the P&L watch parties. I wasn't there for long, but there were more people there than I was expecting for 1pm on a Monday. Looked great on TV when USA scored.

Hopefully the USA/England game is close. Have a feeling there will be a huge crowd in P&L Friday.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:19 pm Love the tradition of the P&L watch parties. I wasn't there for long, but there were more people there than I was expecting for 1pm on a Monday. Looked great on TV when USA scored.

Hopefully the USA/England game is close. Have a feeling there will be a huge crowd in P&L Friday.
That game Friday should hit full capacity!